• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I guess you can say one thing about this government's attitude. Ebola does not poll well unlike terrorism and national security.

The way they have shunned the ebola issue is a national disgrace.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Abbott government lied for political gain?

Never.

Health spending crisis isn't real
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/health-spending-crisis-isnt-real-20141021-1196j8.html

It is amazing how many differing reports there are on this, it was my understanding that the issue is medium to long term and structural in nature. Simply put as our population ages, more medical support will be needed for longer at greater and greater expense.

So just because this year wasn't particularly bad, it doesn't mean that the issue isn't there.

Sort of like the climate skeptics jumping on every contrary data point to highlight the whole thing is bullocks.

I remember one of the few prescient things Bob Carr said whilst NSW premier.

paraphrasing "I could spend the whole NSW budget on health and still not satisfy everyone"

There is an issue on how to spread out a limited budget, to suggest otherwise is not realistic.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It matters not if you agree or disagree, the fact remains that the Coalition have running around like Chicken-little for many years scaring some of the natives.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It matters not if you agree or disagree, the fact remains that the Coalition have running around like Chicken-little for many years scaring some of the natives.

Well, that is what political parties do.

In the end it is reports at 20 paces, with each putting up their position while refuting the opposing point of view.

The chicken-little presumption of everything the coalition says is just as wrong as saying the economy is in a happy place is wrong as well.

The challenge is that worst case marketing is the easiest way to drive the want for change, they all do it, just look at the global warming reports as a good, "non coalition" version of the chicken little approach. No one ever publishes the smaller side of the range when reporting the end of the world.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I didn't say that everything is rosy, nor did I say that everything that the Coalition says is scare-mongering.

My "Chicken-little" point stands.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don Randal having a great rant in the house about managing debt. Bit rough Don because you could be doing your part by not travelling on the taxpayers dollar to purchase investment properties in North QLD.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do find the GST question funny, politics will ensure a rise doesn't happen, but we should at least tax things a bit more equitably, get rid of the exemptions and make the system easier to manage.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I do find the GST question funny, politics will ensure a rise doesn't happen, but we should at least tax things a bit more equitably, get rid of the exemptions and make the system easier to manage.

We should have the discussion. Doesn't mean we have to raise it but we should be mature enough to have the discussion and have it over the broader community.

I do love the fuel excise thing. What a storm in a tea cup. When Howard was on the hunt for pork, he didn't do Abbott any favors taking away the indexising. In Darwin, we have only just had our fuel come into line with Southern capital cities, down from a $1.73 so I could not give a rats about half a cent.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I actually don't have a problem with the Coalition stance of the Ebola situation. Think of this as a test run for the next big Flu outbreak, Malaria, TB, or any number of other pathogens that might arise with a rapidly changing climate and environment and population increase.

Ebola itself is not the second coming of the "plague" but right questions have not really be publicly asked. To me it is a "canary in the coal mine" type disease. We have now seen 100 x the fatalities in this outbreak as in all other instances. That is directly attributable to not only mutation in the pathogen but also the changes outlined above.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We should have the discussion. Doesn't mean we have to raise it but we should be mature enough to have the discussion and have it over the broader community.

I do love the fuel excise thing. What a storm in a tea cup. When Howard was on the hunt for pork, he didn't do Abbott any favors taking away the indexising. In Darwin, we have only just had our fuel come into line with Southern capital cities, down from a $1.73 so I could not give a rats about half a cent.

yep, and the opposition is using Howard's argument about any change being bad for families as well

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That's just cheap politics. I would rather see the opposition apply heat on the education issue. That is where the government must truly be held to account on domestic issues. I would rather see the opposition probe this national security furfy rather than follow blindly. Sure their was a threat but the government has blown the issue way out of proportion for political means and nobody has called them out for it. I want the government held to account over it's dismal ebola response.

And one last thing on the fuel issue. I don't want no shitty diesel rebates attached to it. Miners don't need a leg up out of the tax payers wallet and the ACCC should be able to sniff out excess freight costs being exploited.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's just cheap politics. I would rather see the opposition apply heat on the education issue. That is where the government must truly be held to account on domestic issues. I would rather see the opposition probe this national security furfy rather than follow blindly. Sure their was a threat but the government has blown the issue way out of proportion for political means and nobody has called them out for it. I want the government held to account over it's dismal ebola response.

And one last thing on the fuel issue. I don't want no shitty diesel rebates attached to it. Miners don't need a leg up out of the tax payers wallet and the ACCC should be able to sniff out excess freight costs being exploited.

the diesel rebate I understand is historical, when the fuel excise was first introduced it was to improve roads, the miners said wtf we don't use your roads and had enough clout to get the exemption

the government of the time should have said the fuel excise was to collect revenue like it really was

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't like when any tax is sold to fund this or that. Simple fact is it all goes into consolidated revenue.

Times have changed in a big way. Miners use our roads frequently. They don't all have direct rail access to the terminal like in the Pilbra.

The vehicles used are significantly bigger in some areas with road train combinations exceeding 50m in length.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
We seem to forget that Option C a GST tax was keatings prefered option at the tax summit way back.

Time for all the crap to go and change it simply as NZ and others have.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
B0_6c8aCQAAkP_T.jpg:large

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Saw that one on Insiders this morning. That cartoon is an absolute cracker. I get the humor but oh how true is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.