• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think that means you're still $1900 per vehicle down the tubes but I'll see if I can find out what chinese peaches aren't costing you in subsidies.
Its Catch 22 - whose father was it that was paid more than anybody else in the USA not to grow alfalfa?

Ah yes, the story of corn in the US is a remarkable one in itself.

I'm relatively happy to be rid of the $1900 in car subsidies, because I don't see a compelling reason to retain a car industry in Australia at high cost. But yes, the agricultural subsidy issue is a troubling one, because Australia has and should retain a natural advantage in that area. We've competed well against ludicrously-subsidised US and European agriculture for many years, but how to compete against the sort of dumping practices being undertaken by other countries? I'm not sure.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
But does that $1900 figure mean that Holden didn't think it could sell its cars for just $1900 extra and go without subsidy? Seems remarkable.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But does that $1900 figure mean that Holden didn't think it could sell its cars for just $1900 extra and go without subsidy? Seems remarkable.
Judging by this review they may be right:
Even the Navigation is a bit of a mess: it doesn’t understand altitude from the looks of things, which means that when you’re on the Harbour Bridge or the ANZAC Bridge in Sydney, the car will be telling you where to turn on the streets underneath you rather than on the road you’re actually using.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/02/holden-vf-commodore-ssv-redline-review-braun-meets-some-brains/

However, isn't the reason they cant or wont produce revealed by that graphic in my last post? The US govt will pay them $2900 for each car and we'll only pay $1900 so they're $1k in front on each care and they can sell their US cars here anyway.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You have to do something to help Tasmania. What do they have left?
Best idea is to return the Apple Is to Victoria and have 5 states. After 16 years ALP/Greens they are broke, have little employment prospects and so some chocolate might help. It's a great tour and I loved it.

Tasmania should legalise weed and reap the tourism benefits.

Might even get the cadbury factory over the line.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So Kevin Andrews has claimed that the welfare system is unsustainable. On the other hand, we can spend money on ethics classes to newly weds.

What a joke.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The difference between SPC Ardmona and Cadbury is enlightening.
The former value-adds and the latter is pre-election pork barrelling.
The Coalition won't support SPC Ardmona ($25M) but will support Cadbury ($16M).
Healthy food v junk food.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...xpayer-funding-of-cadbury-20140202-31uop.html

IMO Eric Abetz is an embarrassment and a classic example of the Peter Principle.

The silence of the National Party is deafening.

Every Cadbury chocolate bar will be made with a glass and a half of Eric Abetz hypocracy.

You can't help but take offence when a politician mouths off at generous employee entitlements given the absolute crap we have heard of them claiming on both sides of politics.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Govt doesn't throw some assistance to the family farmers who are struggling with cashflow during the draught, then the land will be brought out by big agrobusiness companies who have access to capital and cashflow from other areas to carry them through draught.

Ultimately Big Businesses will benefit if we do not support the small landholders in tough times.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would your answer be the opposite if the Coalition announced that they were no longer helping out Cadbury in Tasmania?

You would still have to do something for Tasmania.

Not sure about the weed but they do grow our poppy upply. Perhaps that why there are so many greens there.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The high dollar is what is hurting Tasmania. No different to any other tourism heavy economy in Australia.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You would still have to do something for Tasmania.

Not sure about the weed but they do grow our poppy supply. Perhaps that why there are so many greens there.

I'm not at all joking when I say Tasmania needs to look at other industries. They have a lot of big phama stuff which is good. But the forestry industry is going to plateau if it hasn't already.

Tourism is key, and I would say education is as well. Especially if they could start to lure students away from the mainland and house them in colleges - like they do in the US. There is a certain appeal to leaving home for a foreign land.

Weed could be the best thing to happen to Tasmania's economy since old growth forests.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not at all joking when I say Tasmania needs to look at other industries. They have a lot of big phama stuff which is good. But the forestry industry is going to plateau if it hasn't already.

Tourism is key, and I would say education is as well. Especially if they could start to lure students away from the mainland and house them in colleges - like they do in the US. There is a certain appeal to leaving home of a foreign land.

Weed could be the best thing to happen to Tasmania's economy since old growth forests.

I think this is a really good point.

Tasmania has a low cost of living which would make it attractive to students. It would be a good area for more tertiary education investment to attract students to the state.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Tasmania has a low cost of living which would make it attractive to students. It would be a good area for more tertiary education investment to attract students to the state.

Yep. And with good universities come scientific breakthroughs, tech start ups etc.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

Sounds fine as they run a fishery school already. But to get the best staff Tasmania would struggle. Foreign students read China wouldn't go there as they like the big brand name and big city universities.

Checked petrol and other prices in Tasmania? Not as low cost as you imagine.

As I said earlier to save Tasmania give it back to Victoria, remove its 10 senate seats-- no greens and it would be OK. You could also then declare it a national park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

This is the problem when taxpayer funded news services like the ABC don't background stories enough and instead post stories with unsubstantiated allegations such as those by Abetz regarding the wages of SPC Ardmona workers. :p

Sounds fine as they run a fishery school already. But to get the best staff Tasmania would struggle. Foreign students read China wouldn't go there as they like the big brand name and big city universities.

Checked petrol and other prices in Tasmania? Not as low cost as you imagine.

As I said earlier to save Tasmania give it back to Victoria, remove its 10 senate seats-- no greens and it would be OK. You could also then declare it a national park.

Rent and electricity are much cheaper in Tasmania than in other Australian cities. These are generally the biggest costs a student faces.

How exactly would making Tasmania part of Victoria change the local economy substantially?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is the problem when taxpayer funded news services like the ABC don't background stories enough and instead post stories with unsubstantiated allegations such as those by Abetz regarding the wages of SPC Ardmona workers. :p

Rent and electricity are much cheaper in Tasmania than in other Australian cities. These are generally the biggest costs a student faces.

How exactly would making Tasmania part of Victoria change the local economy substantially?

Agree on rent and power but the rest is not and it still doesn't account for the other points of who etc.

They would be better off as there would be no parliament and all the costs that go with it. With around 500,000 people 9 Size of some suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne) they are economically unviable as a state if it wasn't for Federal funding anyway.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Abbott and Abetz exposed. Stone hasn't held back any punches. Remember this is one of their own saying this. Good on her.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-04/nrn-lies-on-spc/5236284

Don't let your joy of hitting Abbott show too much yet.

They can both be correct about the work conditions.
The workers conditions in some areas is in an EBA before 2012. Those Aboott quotes.
The 2013 apply to new workers is Stone's reference points.
The pther points where Abbott could be wrong may be his advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.