• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Election 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
A further point about dates and controversy. There are a large number of preselections to come. These have to occur in ALP seats as the ex PM and others leave. 6 or 7 of these could be very messy as the factions get stuck in. A quick rush to polls in August may not happen to give time for these to be done

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A further point about dates and controversy. There are a large number of preselections to come. These have to occur in ALP seats as the ex PM and others leave. 6 or 7 of these could be very messy as the factions get stuck in. A quick rush to polls in August may not happen to give time for these to be done

Will there be any more "captains picks"?

Interesting that some media outlets have dusted off the Nova Peris dirt file

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This will be the first federal election I get to vote in. I haven't seen anything from either of the two candidates yet, just billboards and the like.

Do they usually hold some forum in the lead up to the election so you can meet them? I'd like to know the person we are sending to canberra isn't a complete dumbass partisan hack before actually giving them approval.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This will be the first federal election I get to vote in. I haven't seen anything from either of the two candidates yet, just billboards and the like.

Do they usually hold some forum in the lead up to the election so you can meet them? I'd like to know the person we are sending to canberra isn't a complete dumbass partisan hack before actually giving them approval.

Bru if you live in Rooty Hill I think you'll get plenty of opportunity for meet and greets.... :)

When the PM calls the date and the Government goes into caretaker, then the campaigning will ratchet up and the two leaders will be on the hustings.

Rudd and the Government is officially still 'governing'. They have the Public Service behind them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Will there be any more "captains picks"?

Interesting that some media outlets have dusted off the Nova Peris dirt file

If the requirement for an indigenous women in the parliament is so required, I wish they had of chosen another person. Linda Burney on Q&A a few weeks back was outstanding. Very, very impressive.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What is going to happen in 1 year when Tony has had a decent amount of time to introduce his ideas, and when people start to realize that removing the carbon tax has absolutely no impact on their living expenses what so ever. And that no amount of chest puffing is going to stop refugees trying to get here.

Could he be in for one of the shortest PM stints ever? The only way he will be able to maintain power will be with a massive propaganda campaign.

I'm not saying the liberal party government will lose confidence from the house of reps. Just that their only option will be to switch to a sensible leader who wont mislead people into thinking obscure changes to taxation of large businesses and minor details of border protection policy are going to change the day to day life experience of australians.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not saying the liberal party government will lose confidence from the house of reps. Just that their only option will be to switch to a sensible leader who wont mislead people into thinking obscure changes to taxation of large businesses and minor details of border protection policy are going to change the day to day life experience of australians.

Didn't it work for Howard for how many years?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BOtA0xLCQAEIkSm.jpg

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He said in that press conference today that he was going to save that pie shop by abolishing the carbon tax.

Are energy companies actually going to drop their prices when Tony does this? How long will they be lower for?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Dropping the fixed price on carbon may be smart politically, but economically and environmentally less so.
Economically: a source of revenue has to be found, or to be increased.
Environmentally: it sends a mixed message to the electorate and to the polluters.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you want to stop co2 emisions then a partial tax on one and not on the second and third largest sources is nuts.
Elect contributes 36% Transport 29% and agriculture 15% (Det of Climate change figures 2010)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I enjoy following politics generally. But the coming election has me ill at ease.

I'm not even yearning for a comprehensively good choice. Just one that doesn't seem like it will damage either the social or economic fabric of this country would do me.

Unfortunately I'm not currently seeing one.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the Libs will do a fine economically (if you are a well off person in the middle class). De-regulation and ripping up reforms has it's short term gains. I can definitely see it having an impact on people in the long term though, a volatile job market will ensure. And those on lower incomes/government support don't have much to look forward too. This will have social impacts for sure.

You never really know with Labor anymore. Kevin is just doing everything he can to get elected. Why ditch the carbon tax? Not because he has done some amazing analysis that proves it's definitely necessary, he just wants to take that weapon away from Tony Abbott at the next election. This is pure marketing and I don't like it.

I'm planning on trying to meet the candidates in my seat before the election to pick the least embarrassing one. If both major party candidates are hacks I'll put them low on the preference list or simply make my vote invalid by writing "Berrak Obama" or something on it.

Voting in the senate is where the fun is. I'll be going in reverse order, putting all the fundamentalist nutjobs last and working my way up from there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.