• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm no Twiggy fan by a long shot but maybe that 50 million could of gone a long way to do something informed about indigenous rugby programs. The snouts at the ARU probably still think Arthur Phillip did the right thing for Benalong.

Somebody seriously needs to get fair dinkum about rugby in the regions.

M

Moono75

From the Nedlands Rugby site:
nedlandsrugby.com.au/2017/08/29/eminem-palms-sweaty-aru-boardroom/

Well readers, the eight current and remaining directors of the ARU held a board meeting yesterday. And according to the St Leonards grape vine, palms are sweaty around the board table as Justice David Hammerschlag prepares to hand down his critical appeal decision in the NSW Supreme Court, which is expected late this week or early next week.

Here’s why. Firstly, the ARU board clearly didn’t think RugbyWA would get past first base with last week’s special leave application in the NSW Supreme Court to appeal the arbitration ruling which triggered the ARU’s move to axe the Force from Super Rugby. So Justice Hammerschlag’s ruling that there was in fact legal merit for an appeal in the first place got the nerves going at St Leonards, especially when you consider the following consequences of an appeal ruling in RugbyWA’s favour:

The Force would be back in Super Rugby, where they belong. (With the heat probably going on the Sunwolves to achieve SANZAAR’s desired 15 team Super Rugby competition).

ARU Chairman Cameron Clyne would be under pressure to resign, having previously threatened to fall on his sword if the ARU was unable to cull one of the five Australian Super Rugby teams.

The ARU Board would have blown the most generous offer in Australian sporting history – Andrew Forrest’s pledge to provide circa $50 million in funding for the code nationally, primarily at grassroots level.

Now point 2 above is where the cracks are starting to show in the ARU board room. Your columnist understands that during the Adelaide meeting last week with WA trio Andrew Forrest, John Welborn and Geoff Stooke, Cameron Clyne not only snubbed Twiggy’s funding offer, but he also suggested he would not be the fall guy if the ARU couldn’t cull a team. Rather, it was suggested, the entire ARU board would resign if five couldn’t become four.

Soon after, in a talkback radio interview with John Welborn, Alan Jones appeared to pick up Clyne’s “I’m not going to be the fall guy for this mess” stance and run with it. Jones suggested some ARU directors were white-anting Clyne from within. Jones then threatened to expose those ARU directors on air if they didn’t stop their white-anting. He then singled out ARU director John Eales for a serve, suggesting the former Wallabies skipper had nothing to contribute at board level. Then, perhaps most remarkably, Jones finished his interview with this bouquet from left field: “Certainly Cameron Clyne is trying to talk to everybody and that’s to his credit.” Wow.

So it was with all those undercurrents and rips flowing that the ARU held its critical board meeting yesterday. In today’s Australian newspaper, rugby reporter Wayne Smith said he understood Twiggy’s funding offer was “fully debated” at the board meeting, adding that the ARU was anxious to work with Forrest. Well that can only happen if the ARU changes its mind and decides to keep the Force in Super Rugby, appeal decision or no appeal decision.

Apart from Twiggy’s funding offer, the other thing that has changed since the ARU board last met and decided to axe the Force was the revelation that Rob Clarke has now bobbed up working for the Rebels. As your columnist flagged last week, Clarke is on the Rebels committee interviewing for the vacant role of head coach. Clarke was, of course, the ARU’s recently-departed chief operating officer who recommended the ARU board axe the Force and spare the Rebels. Hmmm.

And if that wasn’t enough for the ARU board to mull over, there is also the lingering threat of a Federal Senate enquiry which will shine a spotlight on who knew what and when. Perhaps rapper Eminem was thinking about the ARU board when he sang, in the hit Lose Yourself: “His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.”

The big question now is whether the ARU board will roll the dice and wait for Justice Hammerschlag’s decision, or show the leadership required to resolve it sooner by reversing their decision to axe the Force. You might call it the $50 million question. Or, as Eminem might say: “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.”

Stay tuned…

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From the Nedlands Rugby site:
nedlandsrugby.com.au/2017/08/29/eminem-palms-sweaty-aru-boardroom/

Well readers, the eight current and remaining directors of the ARU held a board meeting yesterday. And according to the St Leonards grape vine, palms are sweaty around the board table as Justice David Hammerschlag prepares to hand down his critical appeal decision in the NSW Supreme Court, which is expected late this week or early next week.

Here’s why. Firstly, the ARU board clearly didn’t think RugbyWA would get past first base with last week’s special leave application in the NSW Supreme Court to appeal the arbitration ruling which triggered the ARU’s move to axe the Force from Super Rugby. So Justice Hammerschlag’s ruling that there was in fact legal merit for an appeal in the first place got the nerves going at St Leonards, especially when you consider the following consequences of an appeal ruling in RugbyWA’s favour:

The Force would be back in Super Rugby, where they belong. (With the heat probably going on the Sunwolves to achieve SANZAAR’s desired 15 team Super Rugby competition).

ARU Chairman Cameron Clyne would be under pressure to resign, having previously threatened to fall on his sword if the ARU was unable to cull one of the five Australian Super Rugby teams.

The ARU Board would have blown the most generous offer in Australian sporting history – Andrew Forrest’s pledge to provide circa $50 million in funding for the code nationally, primarily at grassroots level.

Now point 2 above is where the cracks are starting to show in the ARU board room. Your columnist understands that during the Adelaide meeting last week with WA trio Andrew Forrest, John Welborn and Geoff Stooke, Cameron Clyne not only snubbed Twiggy’s funding offer, but he also suggested he would not be the fall guy if the ARU couldn’t cull a team. Rather, it was suggested, the entire ARU board would resign if five couldn’t become four.

Soon after, in a talkback radio interview with John Welborn, Alan Jones appeared to pick up Clyne’s “I’m not going to be the fall guy for this mess” stance and run with it. Jones suggested some ARU directors were white-anting Clyne from within. Jones then threatened to expose those ARU directors on air if they didn’t stop their white-anting. He then singled out ARU director John Eales for a serve, suggesting the former Wallabies skipper had nothing to contribute at board level. Then, perhaps most remarkably, Jones finished his interview with this bouquet from left field: “Certainly Cameron Clyne is trying to talk to everybody and that’s to his credit.” Wow.

So it was with all those undercurrents and rips flowing that the ARU held its critical board meeting yesterday. In today’s Australian newspaper, rugby reporter Wayne Smith said he understood Twiggy’s funding offer was “fully debated” at the board meeting, adding that the ARU was anxious to work with Forrest. Well that can only happen if the ARU changes its mind and decides to keep the Force in Super Rugby, appeal decision or no appeal decision.

Apart from Twiggy’s funding offer, the other thing that has changed since the ARU board last met and decided to axe the Force was the revelation that Rob Clarke has now bobbed up working for the Rebels. As your columnist flagged last week, Clarke is on the Rebels committee interviewing for the vacant role of head coach. Clarke was, of course, the ARU’s recently-departed chief operating officer who recommended the ARU board axe the Force and spare the Rebels. Hmmm.

And if that wasn’t enough for the ARU board to mull over, there is also the lingering threat of a Federal Senate enquiry which will shine a spotlight on who knew what and when. Perhaps rapper Eminem was thinking about the ARU board when he sang, in the hit Lose Yourself: “His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.”

The big question now is whether the ARU board will roll the dice and wait for Justice Hammerschlag’s decision, or show the leadership required to resolve it sooner by reversing their decision to axe the Force. You might call it the $50 million question. Or, as Eminem might say: “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.”

Stay tuned…

Let's hope they didn't eat any of mum's spaghetti..........

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
, Cameron Clyne not only snubbed Twiggy’s funding offer, but he also suggested he would not be the fall guy if the ARU couldn’t cull a team. Rather, it was suggested, the entire ARU board would resign if five couldn’t become four.

I wonder where this comes from about the whole board resigning? I question whether this would be the case because if it was the board would literally be voting themselves out the door if they accepted Twiggy's offer. It's hardly a position to enable a fair and reasonable decision to be made. If that were the case they would be choosing between what was best for rugby and what was best for themselves.
I've heard that Clyne has said he will resign if Aus cannot be reduced to 4 teams but I have not heard of the board making any commitment to resign.

M

Moono75

At this point the whole board should resign because they have either been complicit to whats gone on or they haven't had the guts to stand up and do something. Either way they have failed and deserve to be turfed.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Twiggy announced if we don't get an appeal we will start an Indo Pacific competition. Looks like he has already put a heap of work and administration into it

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
So rugby wa released a statement with proof pretty much confirming that clyne is a lying scum bag. He just makes shit up. How hasn't the rest of Australia done something about this. This bloke needs to go. He has already killed rugby in Australia. What's next

Reactions: Jon

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
RUGBYWA STATEMENT – RESPONSE TO CAMERON CLYNE INTERVIEW 5TH SEPTEMBER 2017

Having now watched the ARU Chairman address the media today it is important that RugbyWA strongly contest the content of this interview.

Mr Clyne mentions that on August 2nd the ARU invited RugbyWA to make final offer to the ARU and said that RWA did not come back with anything substantive. This is not the fact.

On 4th August RWA sent a long letter to the ARU which along with much else made the following points:

Finance behind RWA is certain not uncertain.

Though we have no visibility on the balance sheets of other franchises we highly doubt that there is another Australian franchise that has $2million cash at hand ready to contribute to its rugby program over and above traditional sources of income.

Before Mr Andrew Forrest’srecent commitment, we have always been highly confident (primarily through the feedback of those registrants who have not converted) that once we are able to announce that the Western Force will remain in the Super Rugby Competition we will convert a further minimum of $3million through our “Community Ownership model to reach our minimum target of $5 million.

With Mr Forrest’s support, this is an entirely different prospect. We move from “highly confident” to “absolutely certain”.

To put this into context Mr Forrest (AO) has advised us, you and the Rugby community in the most public way possible that he will “Do What it takes” to save the Western Force and ensure our long-term stability.

We consider this is a verbal contract. This is a man who recently donated $400million to a wide range of social and scientific causes. The largest philanthropic donation by a living Australian. Mr Forrest and his team have carefully considered how they can best support the Western Force and have endorsed the Own The Force campaign by designing a revision to our current plan that will basically double the outcome by uniquely assisting new members who may not have been able to afford “up-front payments” in financing their membership. Mr Forrest is a man of his word, a very proud West Australian and someone who constantly remains in the National Spotlight.

With respect, you should not be doubting his word or his intent. Own The Force is only one avenue available to him”

Mr Clyne also indicates that the ARU was and continued to be in dialogue with RugbyWA. This misrepresents the position in that the majority of dialogue was initiated by the ARU’s lawyers. If fact, we understand that Andrew Forrest sought to meet with the ARU on numerous occasions both before and after August 4th.

These meetings were declined by the ARU Chairman with the only meeting occurring in Adelaide 22ndAugust where, despite promising two days earlier that the ARU were prepared to negotiate a reinstatement of the Western Force, the ARU Chairman again rebuffed Andrew Forrest’s generous offer of both underwriting the Western Force and support Australian Rugby to the tune of $50 million.

Our view remains that since receiving legal advice in February the ARU Chairman had formed the view that the Western Force were the only team that could legally be removed from the competition. For the ARU to suggest that there was an objective and transparent process, evaluating the merits of both the Force and the Rebels, was misleading and disrespectful to the Western Australian and Victorian Rugby Unions.

It is now time for all the Australian member unions to hold the ARU Board accountable for the misinformation and lost opportunity to Australian rugby.

Should the Australian member unions not be prepared to hold the ARU Board accountable for the misleading process, the loss of an Australian Super Rugby side and $50million then we are confident the proposed senate enquiry will.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I hate to say it but it's happened. The east don't give a shit about the west. Showed a bunch of stuff from the nrc but didn't show any of the spirits bag of trys. Drew Mitchell must be getting paid a heap because he acted like a tool and was supporting cameran clynes talk. They even showed the rising score a try against us at the end.

Untill the actual because recap where they couldn't avoid us

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Drew is an idiot. Saying someone had to go? Yeh but why western Australia. The other side of Australia. Why keep the rebels when u have super rugby sides a flick away. Drew is a tool

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Drew is an idiot. Saying someone had to go? Yeh but why western Australia. The other side of Australia. Why keep the rebels when u have super rugby sides a flick away. Drew is a tool

Mitchell was knob before he came West, was a knob here and still is a knob. Surely Fox can do better than him. They probably don't know how he is perceived by many or even most.

Status
Not open for further replies.