• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Blues - 2011R04

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danielok

Smith and Mafi looked pretty good on the wing, and Cummins played a decent game at 13, but there's very little backup now for the outside backs. Very worrying

M

Moono75

Proud of the way the boys fronted up tonight. I thought the Blues would be far too strong and at times they looked like they were going to break the game wide open. But credit to the Force just bashed them in defence and in the forwards and maintained good line speed. We even managed to break their line a few times. With a bit more composure we could have won that game.

I think after 5 years in the comp we are past the 'good effort the boys played well'. This was a make or break game for the Force and they let it slip again. You can't loose these games at home. The Blues were on a return road trip from SA and we were up by 10 points and let it slip. F#cking dissapointing. Force better wake up or they will be the poor cousins of the Australian Conference. Rebels will have cash to burn and we will miss out on attracting any top talent to WA. We need results on the board.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think after 5 years in the comp we are past the 'good effort the boys played well'. This was a make or break game for the Force and they let it slip again. You can't loose these games at home. The Blues were on a return road trip from SA and we were up by 10 points and let it slip. F#cking dissapointing. Force better wake up or they will be the poor cousins of the Australian Conference. Rebels will have cash to burn and we will miss out on attracting any top talent to WA. We need results on the board.

Agreed. Against a team like the Blues you canlt sit back for 40 minutes and defend.

It looks full of bravado and was exciting to watch but the reality is that it shows how limited the Force really are. Through sheer grit and detemination they push a lot of teams close and even win now and then but when they've needed another gear there's nothing there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agreed. Against a team like the Blues you canlt sit back for 40 minutes and defend.

It looks full of bravado and was exciting to watch but the reality is that it shows how limited the Force really are. Through sheer grit and detemination they push a lot of teams close and even win now and then but when they've needed another gear there's nothing there.
You are right, Blue. They are limited in attack. Now JOC (James O'Connor), Mafi, David Smith and Shepherd can all do good stuff, but contrast the linking play to that of the Crusaders, Blues (at times last night they were electric, but dropped way too much ball) and so on, they run pretty predictable lines in attack, might make some half breaks, but seem to need an individual freak-show (like JOC (James O'Connor)'s chip, regather, spin and run effort last night) to make the difference. The better teams make half breaks into tries, they run different support lines, change the angle, and there always seems to be someone there waiting for the ball.
Force fans - I'm not bagging the team, and I thought they were fantastic last night, but that was a game they just HAD to take. The last couple of minutes looked like they were nervous at the prospect of winning it, rather than closing it out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I won't deny that they need take the next step and close out those games. I would argue, however, that there have been improvements in the way the team plays over the five years and in previous times, we would have just got blown off the park by a team like the Blues. You have to start with some sort of foundation and in the case of the Force, Graham has decided it will be the defence. In the games this year it has been positively bone rattling. You have to play to your strengths and ours is clearly our back row and we now possess one of the finest in the competition. That was built by the club, not bought from elsewhere. All four of our front-line back rowers have come through the Force system.

The issue is creativity in attack. The backs we have are solid, but unspectacular. We lack a class play maker and as much as we all bag Giteau, he was great at the Force. JOC (James O'Connor) is not a natural 10 at present and needs to play 12 I think. The problem is who else to put there. The jersey appears to be jinxed with Pretorius basically never stepping on the paddock and Ripia not sighted yet. We were to have a 5/8 of the class of the other Aussie franchises I think the situation would be different, as JOC (James O'Connor) would have more scope to play where does most damage and it would bring guys like David Smith into the play a bit more (I thought he was excellent last night).

But if we are talking about winning things to show success and progress, I don't know that the other Aussie franchises are in a position to throw stones here. Apart from the Brumbies, none of us have won anything at all.

B

Burke's Boot

Boys showed lots of ticker and im very proud of them. What the fuck is wrong with the Blues though? Once again they have a good side on paper but are stinking the joint up again.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Boys showed lots of ticker and im very proud of them. What the fuck is wrong with the Blues though? Once again they have a good side on paper but are stinking the joint up again.

As a Blues fan I was pretty disappointed last nite....handling errors were RIDICULOUS. I was hoping that they would come out of half-time all fired up and ready to blow the Force off the park but the errors let them down.

I hoping it's just signs of a last game at the end of an away tour and not a continuation of the form of the last few years......

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If J'OC maintains the 90% tackle rate and 85% kicking rate over the season I think he really should be our 12 this year, with Barnes on the bench to close out games. Gits can ggf.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If J'OC maintains the 90% tackle rate and 85% kicking rate over the season I think he really should be our 12 this year, with Barnes on the bench to close out games. Gits can ggf.

fine with that with the way JOC (James O'Connor) has played so far, but would argue that Barnes should go to 10 with quade on the bench. JOC (James O'Connor) shouldnt have to carry quade as it will slow down his attacking.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I'd agree that we should trial JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 in the 3N to see if it works, with both Barnes and Cooper at 10. Gits would come off the bench so they go head to head. For the WC I would choose whether Barnes or Cooper started based on the need for a strond defensive player vs need for the best playmaker. For example, I would play Cooper at 10 with Barnes on the bench against the Blacks with the opposite structure against the Boks. Unless the wheels fall off or injuries intervene we have reasonable depth (first choice plus one back-up) of high quality at both 10 and 12. You'd kill for that if you were Italy, Scotland, Wales or Argentina. Indeed the AB's would kill for that depth at 10, right now its Carter and daylight.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can someone tell me what the card was for. I know the blues were warned for repeated infringements but didn't think we were. Also I think they did the right thing from the line out at the end 30 seconds left pick and drive win game but the ref must of thought the blues deserved a draw.

Go the force!!!!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Indeed the AB's would kill for that depth at 10, right now its Carter and daylight.

I thought McAlister played pretty well and he's only only to get better as the season progresses. Im predicting he'll be Carters back-up come world-cup time and a bloody good one he will be too!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought McAlister played pretty well and he's only only to get better as the season progresses. Im predicting he'll be Carters back-up come world-cup time and a bloody good one he will be too!

He should be at outside centre not 10. But that's where nz have alot of depth ATM

Go the force!!!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Dunning (and the whole Force scrum actually) did rather well against Woodcock & co as well

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Great Game! Wykes really should have got that try, I guess u cant blame the video ref too much as he had no angles to work him, inconclusive footage really. I blame the ref, I think it would have been a different story had he used the words "Is there any reason not to give the try" instead of "can u tell me if its a try or no try". And when a second rower bashes over the line, after a great break, with tons of momentum then there's a bloody good chance its a try, he really didnt use his words wisely.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Great Game! Wykes really should have got that try, I guess u cant blame the video ref too much as he had no angles to work him, inconclusive footage really. I blame the ref, I think it would have been a different story had he used the words "Is there any reason not to give the try" instead of "can u tell me if its a try or no try". And when a second rower bashes over the line, after a great break, with tons of momentum then there's a bloody good chance its a try, he really didnt use his words wisely.

Ref: Is there any reason not to give the try?

TMO: He didn't ground the ball.

Same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.