• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
43 mins, Force up 14-13. Perfect, that's what I picked!

JUst need the score not to change for 37 mins.

Go AJ you good thing. :salute

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force aren't going to win, even at 14 - 13 up they didn't look like winning. Blues are in charge right now.

That attempted kick was a classic though. Beautiful timing with the wind.

Oh, it's 25 - 14 now to the Blues. Sitting in my tipping zone. Sweet.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cross off - and he's not happy about it. You could see him questioning the trainer about it, like, "What?" "Why?" followed by some expletives. Even though he's short of a run I think he should've stayed on.

Pocock is excellent though, but the Force are a shambles at times.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And as I speak Hockings dives over in the corner from a ruck 2m out after a nice Force break. Took the overlap well, Giteau to the centre Sharpe was prominent.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force scrum not going too well...who would've guessed it.

Some tackling lessons for Drew Mitchell probably wouldn't go astray.

Pocock and Brown my picks of the Force players so far. Gits looking OK too.

Is it me or are there more forwards in the Force backline than backs most of the time?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force scrum backpedalling but they didn't feed it straight anyway.

Force starting to get a little on top, Blues have lost a few players to injury. 15 to go, 25 - 19 to the Blues and the Force in with a chance.

Force look good with the ball though when they fling it from sideline to sideline.

JO'C is making a nice cameo.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Shepherd has looked pretty rusty and thrown some poor passes and dropped some ball.

Great tackle from Hodgson to save a try. Blues should've scored.

Game is getting scrappy now - it's very loose. 9 minutes to go. Why the fuck would Afoa kick the ball? He doesn't deserve to be a prop.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whoa, clever play by Pocock and Gits off a 22m drop sees Gits run 60m downfield. Who's in support? JO'C and Pocock. And no-one else. But loads and loads of Blues. Ball turned over and Force blow a great chance.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
1 minute left and Force are doing a damn good job of losing. 25 - 19 to the Blues and it's probably goin to stay that way. Probably a fair reflection of the game.

HA! Sharpe loses the ball in midfield and that's it. Thanks, Sharpie.

<edit> Looks like the Sharpie renaissance of playing tight and hard is out the window in the first game of the year.

Gits, Brown and Pocock stand outs for the Force, JO'C had a good cameo off the bench. Tatupu looked one dimensional but went OK too. Horua was solid. Mixed bags from Shepherd and Mitchell - but geez, Mitchell always looks so dangerous with the ball in hand.

Same ol' same ol' for the Force - sloppy and loose, too many forwards in the backs, not enough protecting of their own ball. But when flinging the ball around they look very dangerous thanks to their very good backline.

Didn't really watch any Blues players, plus I missed pieces of the game as I was also watching the Roar touch up the CCM. Geez, the Roar look good. But I Lee Grant.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Force looked flat after half time. Perhaps they need one of Mitchell's patented, yet banned (?), rev ups to get them going?

Seems a lot of kiwi injuries so far. Perhaps they should consider a reconditioning program?

And the Force scrum was had. Which, when you consider they dominated the Reds scrum last week, is not a good sign for our game v the Bulls.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sare & McIsaac were passengers. O'Young close behind.
To put it kindly.

Chris O'young is one thick twat the sooner he is gone the better the same goes for John Mitchell some really poor decisions by the halfback & coach last night.

Why on earth they dragged Ryan Cross I'll never know, probably the most dangerous ball runner in the side who now has a lot of test experience under his belt & the Force were chasing the game.

Pocock was reffed out of the game for staying on his feet at the ruck which is now an offence across the tasman it seems.

T

Turban

disco said:
Sare & McIsaac were passengers. O'Young close behind.
To put it kindly.

Chris O'young is one thick twat the sooner he is gone the better the same goes for John Mitchell some really poor decisions by the halfback & coach last night.

Why on earth they dragged Ryan Cross I'll never know, probably the most dangerous ball runner in the side who now has a lot of test experience under his belt & the Force were chasing the game.

Pocock was reffed out of the game for staying on his feet at the ruck which is now an offence across the tasman it seems.

Unless your a Blues player that is.

I didn't think O'Young was totally inept, our forward pack from 1-5 on the other hand was absolutely useless. You also have to wonder if Mitchells attack is worth him gifting away 2 trys in a game?

Hodgeson, how does that guy still have a contract? I swear in every close game he has played he does something stupid in the last 5 mins, like fluffing a no pressure catch to gift the Blues a line-out right in our 22.

Sharpe, Sharpe, Sharpe, what can I say about Sharpe that hasn't already been said about George Bush. He's stupid, he shouldn't be there and no-one is quite sure how he got there in the first place but now we've been stuck with him for so long we just have to accept it. All i could do was laugh watching him trying to hit a ruck with the legs almost straight and his back arching over like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I wonder if he gets into such a "solid" body position in the scrums? (Lets not talk about them)

The problem was always blindingly obvious, the guys on Inside Rugby seemed to conveiniently ignore it, but it cost us that match and it will cost us a chance at finishing in the top 8 I think and thats the complete and utter lack of a tight 5.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also another reason to dropkick John Mitchell, why wasn't Hockings on from the start?

J

Jury

Mitchell plays favourites. It's quite simple and I can say that from experience. There's your answer boys and he's a pig headed mule where no amount of talking to the guy will change his mind. When it all turns to custard he'll blame everyone else but his own pig headedness. In saying that he does have some great skills and an eye for talent. Unfortunately the other things (where he can get quite petty) overshadows his talents.

From a Blues' fans perspective ... I thought we looked just above average and the team was full of rookies. We've got some great players to come back in (after paternity leave), but I'm not convinced on the 10s (as yet) and I think we will struggle because of it. Not convinced on Moa at 9. I thought Smylie did better, but he's a bit inconsistent (he got shafted at the Hurricanes and has never really recovered. I hope he gets better with the Blues and takes his opportunities). Our midfield looked average without someone like Ant T straightening the line and hitting up at speed. The Blues did some really dumb things with the ball. Kicking it away for starters and come the final 10, I thought the Force might roll over the top of us because most of the players were panting.

I have no idea why Mitchell subbed Cross. Idiocy. As a Blues' fan I was pleased to see him go. The Force have a lot of talent but I wonder at the leadership in the team and the hard edge to close out a win?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thought the Force's main strike power (the inside backs) were very effectively stifled by quality Blues defence. The tight five were outmuscled, which meant quality ball was very hard to come by. Pocock, Brown, Giteau and Tatupu were all very good, but their contributions were outweighed by the stink emitted from McIsaac, O'Young, O'Connor and Sharpe. Especially the first two.

With Valentine back and a bit more room in the backs then the Force will prosper. Hopefully that will occur sooner rather than later.

R

rugbywhisperer

From both games last night I noticed a worrying trend.
It appears to me anyway that the 2 sides, Brumbies and Force are not confident in their own skills at ball retention through successive TRM and are opting for the easier option of gaining ground through kicking. While this 'might' work, last night it nearly brought the ponies undone and certainly the Force suffered by not having good attacking platform and donating the ball to the Blues.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Without a cohesive T5, the Force are going to find it tough. And with Sharpe in there, you're down to a T4, if that. Hockings gained magnificent experience last year playing regularly and I can't understand why they didn't use him from the start. I'll watch this one with interest. On Fast Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.