• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Highlanders at NIB - Round 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I left after 60 minutes it was so bad. I was wet, cold and I'd had enough. I feel like the match turned on some brainless footy in the 10 minutes leading up to half time. We worked so hard in defence in our 22 and then coughed the ball up in stupid ways for the Highlanders to score. Had we played the percentages a bit more I felt like we had a bit more momentum heading into the sheds. I don't think we would have won but it wouldn't have been 55-6. Likewise we lacked composure when Rona made that great line break. We really should have scored there.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Certainly puts the win in Buenos Aires into perspective

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
That game, and the travel, took a helluva lot out of them. We have to stop this sort of farce.

A conference of 5 Aussie teams + Japan playing interstate derbies each weekend will stop this farce. No more circumnavigating the globe to play 2 away games.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I read somewhere that SANZAAR employ a Canadian company to work out the playing schedule.

From what I know from previous years, when a friend was working for SANZAAR at HQ in Sydney, there was 1 person with 1 computer doing the whole draw.
If I recall correctly, they start around about now & it goes through many edits. Pretty sure the teams sign off on it too.
Can't say I envy that persons job.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
From what I know from previous years, when a friend was working for SANZAAR at HQ in Sydney, there was 1 person with 1 computer doing the whole draw.
If I recall correctly, they start around about now & it goes through many edits. Pretty sure the teams sign off on it too.

Surely there are programs that do this sort of thing now. Management world over would use similar systems for scheduling staff shifts etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
surely it's just a one person isn't it? I mean how many people can work an excel spreadsheet at the same time?

"OK mate you work on the even rounds, and I'll work on the odd rounds".

It's not rocket science. You do the draw, you consult with stakeholders, you finalise the draw.

Teams get to give black out days they can't do (stadium bookings, local major events etc) and they are consulted on along the way, and give the draw the final tick.

I think the ARU needs to be a little bit more assertive and strategic on aspects of the draw though. Like insisting on an Aussie game every Friday and Saturday night, and so on (ANZAC Day traditional games, being selective about what is played over Easter etc).

But when it comes to actually doing up the draw, I'm not sure if more than 10 fingers is needed (including thumbs).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This couldn't have been back in the Super 14 years...........

They wouldn't even have needed to employ someone back then as they recycled the same two draws over five seasons:

Draw 1 - 2006, 2008 (inverted), and 2010
Draw 2 - 2007 and 2009 (inverted)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Guess it depends how complex your list of requirements are when producing the draw. By example, I'd imagine that producing a draw for the EPL is probably a great deal easier than for the NFL.

Given that Super Rugby draw is closer to the NFL in its complexity, I'd imagine that it would surely have to be more than some bloke sitting in the office basement filling in cells on Excel like a statistics grad student.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reg, every Friday? That would be a tough sell given the dominance of Friday Night Football for the two bigger codes

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
surely it's just a one person isn't it? I mean how many people can work an excel spreadsheet at the same time?

"OK mate you work on the even rounds, and I'll work on the odd rounds".

It's not rocket science. You do the draw, you consult with stakeholders, you finalise the draw.

Teams get to give black out days they can't do (stadium bookings, local major events etc) and they are consulted on along the way, and give the draw the final tick.

I think the ARU needs to be a little bit more assertive and strategic on aspects of the draw though. Like insisting on an Aussie game every Friday and Saturday night, and so on (ANZAC Day traditional games, being selective about what is played over Easter etc).

But when it comes to actually doing up the draw, I'm not sure if more than 10 fingers is needed (including thumbs).

It should be even easier than this. Certain rules could be coded into the program to prevent undesirable scheduling results. So:

If a team of x class of teams (a class of teams being determined by continents) travels to y then a bye must follow.

You could set up the parameters just once, maybe tweaking it each season to adjust for formatting changes. You would then just have to fill in the blanks.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
This couldn't have been back in the Super 14 years.....

They wouldn't even have needed to employ someone back then as they recycled the same two draws over five seasons:

Draw 1 - 2006, 2008 (inverted), and 2010
Draw 2 - 2007 and 2009 (inverted)

haha probably not. I just know of the years my mate was there, 2014-2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.