• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Hurricanes Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ yeah the NZRU directive is 2 (not necessarily consecutive) weeks complete rest during the season for everyone who went on the EOYT, longer for selected players (e.g. Mealamu gets 3 weeks) & no doubt guys like GOAT, Carter, Retallick & one or more of the Smiths will get pulled if the medical staff feel they need more S&C work & less game time.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^ yeah the NZRU directive is 2 weeks (not necessarily consecutive) complete rest during the season for everyone who went on the EOYT! longer for selected players (e.g. Mealamu gets 3 weeks) & no doubt guys like GOAT, Carter, Retallick & one or more of the Smiths will get pulled if the medical staff feel they need more S&C work & less game time.

The ARU should implement this policy, Wallabies even have played more games than ABs last year

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If they are leaving overseas, we should run them ragged; send them off to their cashed-up clubs worse for wear as a disincentive to recruit Australian players.

Besides, the ARU policy is to flog the players. They can rest when they're injured.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The ARU should implement this policy, Wallabies even have played more games than ABs last year

The conventional wisdom used to be that we could do it as a consequence of central contracting whereas you couldn't because the players are primarily contracted to their Super Rugby entity who want maximum bang for their bucks.

SA, however, which AFIK has a similar contract structure to Aus is also managing their players by arrangement with the Super Rugby outfits - obviously it's easier for them given about half their likely RWC squad is based offshore - & it looks like even some of the NH have negotiated with the all-powerful Clubs for key RWC players to have their workloads reduced.

Why ARU can't or won't do the same, if only in a RWC year, is therefore a bit of a mystery.

@Bairdy, I'm especially interested in seeing how 'tahs coach Cheika manages his players this year :).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally think Boyd would of aimed for 3-4 points from away trip, now they got them wrapped up he will be prepared to risk losing this game to give his ABs part of their required rest?? Looking at bigger picture he may figure having them for must win home games is important.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I personally think Boyd would of aimed for 3-4 points from away trip, now they got them wrapped up he will be prepared to risk losing this game to give his ABs part of their required rest?? Looking at bigger picture he may figure having them for must win home games is important.

That seems ridiculous. I think you'd rather rest in the tougher games you don't think you're a chance of winning.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On the topic of resting, I don't think Cheika will rest anyone during Super rugby, it'll cause too much uproar if they're not Tahs. TRC is another story and Kepu/Slipper/Hooper/Folau/Kuridrani should barely participate.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^and both Coleman and Alcock our out and Cowan should be back.

Expect something like this

1 Cowan
2 Charles
3 Faulkner
4 Wykes
5 Mafi
6 Cottrel
7 Stander
8 McCalman

9 Alby
10 Ebersohn
11 Brache
12 Junior
13 Godwin
14 Morahan
15 Holmes

M

Moono75

Not sure about Holmes at 15, he was a bit suspect under the high balls against the Reds. Pek has apparently trained this week and looks good to go. With good conditions Friday I hope we bust over the advantage line with the forwards and remember that we do have some backs so get them the ball! Alby to have a blinder against his kiwi compatriots.

M

Moono75

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Western Force vs Hurricanes

1. Pekahou Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Tetera Faulkner
4. Sam Wykes (c)
5. Steve Mafi*
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Brynard Stander
8. Ben McCalman
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Zack Holmes
11. Marcel Brache
12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea
13. Kyle Godwin
14. Luke Morahan
15. Luke Burton

Reserves
16. Heath Tessmann
17. Chris Heiberg
18. Oliver Hoskins
19. Rory Walton
20. Kane Koteka**
21. Ian Prior
22. Sias Ebersohn
23. Mitchell Scott

* denotes Western Force/Super Rugby starting debut
** denotes Western Force/Super Rugby debut cap

M

Moono75

Is Steenkamp injured? Thought he would get the nod over Walton for the bench. Hope the boys have a blinder. Bring on Friday!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good decision to bench ebersohn, with the injuries the force are carrying in the pack they'll need to at least attempt to throw the ball around.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We'd better subdue that Canes pack or their backs will barbecue us. Our best chance of winning is to pin them in their half and suffocate them. We're not going to win in a shootout, they've got too much attacking firepower.

B

Bobby Sands

That seems ridiculous. I think you'd rather rest in the tougher games you don't think you're a chance of winning.

What a terrible message that would send to the rest of the squad and young players. "Ya know what fellas? those blokes we are playing are really skillful tough buggers. I might sit this one out to be right for the end of the year. Good luck though. Rip in"

B

Bobby Sands

Look forward to getting a look at Burton at the back. Very exciting if WA can keep producing these gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.