• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fotu Auelua - WC no 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely agree, however deserve has nothing to do with it. Same as Elsom - if he can walk he'll be in the squad even if he doesn't play any rugby between now and the WC.

But at least Elsom has played good rugby in the past 12 months...

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
But at least Elsom has played good rugby in the past 12 months...

Playing rugby on the Xbox when you are at home injured doesnt count...

(I do rate Rocky as a player and hope he is our 6 going into the world cup).

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Radike Samo has been one of the form No8's if not the form No8 of Super 15 this year. His performances against the Stormers, Blues & Crusaders were nothing less than exceptional. What else does the guy have to do to get the Wallaby 8 jersey? Win the Super 15 for the Reds?

judging by dean's form in this area, be 7 years younger

S

Skippy

Guys the point of the point was, could Deans be looking to get this bloke involved and in the mix with a view to the WC. As a ARU contracted player he would have every right to do so.

Cutter - "If he was selected for the Wallabies before proving himself in Super Rugby or Club Rugby there would, quite rightly, be an outcry".

Proving himself like Gits did? Phil Kearns came from second grade at Randwick. How many games of Super rugby had Genia, McCalman, Slipper for example have before playing for Australia? Isn't it the coaches perogative to select those he think can get the job done? Clearly this blokes has shown Deans enough to earn him a top up.

Bruce Ross - "perhapsers" - again with the above. But isnt' the nature of any contract Bruce bring a certain element of 'perhaps' into it, whether that be at club level, Super level or for the Wallabies irrespective of whether your a season international player or a newcomers? (granted there is less perhaps or risk with experienced players) But doesn't any contract operate on the perhaps notion - perhaps he wont make it, perhaps he wont put the effort in, perhaps he will get injured/change him mind/walk out/retire early, perhaps perhaps perhaps.

Jets - "But you are ready to throw in some guy that hasn't played Super Rugby before?" - no mate, never said I would pick him, was asking the question will Deans. But again, I don't think having not played super rugby is a great arguement. I do however agree re youtube editing but in relation to Sharpe I'm not so certain. I'm a big fan, he's a great player and served the ARU well but Deans clearly has plans for Vickerman otherwise he wouldn't have signed him. Vicks will be given every chance to knock Sharpe out of the starting team in the 3 nations and sadly this may mean Sharpe loses his spot in the starting lineup.

And as for the homegrown comment (can't remember who?) from what I've read, he was born in NZ and moved to Aus, played NSW schools, moved into grade and then missed out on Super rugby contracts because as he clearly says himself, he took his talent for granted, didn't put in the effort etc... so he says he had to learn the hard way by taking himself out of his comfort zone and moving OS. Im my book, he's as homegrown as Quade and others.

All I'm saying is, given the injuries we've got and the fact Deans has obviosly seen something in this bloke in order to get him an ARU deal... will Deans perhaps pick this bloke in the 3 nations, have a look at him and go from there.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There's one way in which I hope he doesn't make it. Spelling his first name correctly is a nightmare for a typist like me. :D

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
Probably nothing to read into (or is there) but interesting that Robbie Deans has made enquiries into the avaliability of Jack Lam, now is he eligable for the Wallabies (even if he is playing for the Hurricanes) ???

S

Skippy

Now that is interesting. Deans certainly casts his eye far and wide. Lam was a Oz schoolboy from memory and grew up in Canberra. No doubt one of Robbie's KPI's is to increase the depth of playing ranks. I wonder how many other 'kiwis' playing ni NZ are eligible for Australia?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably nothing to read into (or is there) but interesting that Robbie Deans has made enquiries into the avaliability of Jack Lam, now is he eligable for the Wallabies (even if he is playing for the Hurricanes) ???

He's not eligible for the Wallabies until he signs a contract with an Australian province...

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
judging by dean's form in this area, be 7 years younger

We all talk about the importance of picking those in form, and on that basis Samo is close to the top. We also look at maturity and experience when selecting players, especially as we build towards a World Cup tilt. Again, Samo scores nicely in that category. Finally, given our packs lack of aggression over the past, well, eternity, we also look for raw boned, hard hitting, dynamic forwards. This is more pertinent than ever currently, given the ongoing injury woes of Messrs. Palu and Elsom. Again, Samo scores here big time.

If Wallaby selectors are umming and ahhing over Samo's age, they'd better pull their heads in quicksmart. Sure selecting Samo might not be 'building for the future' or some other silly rhetoric these corporate types like to dribble out, but once in every four years I don't give a damn about building for the future. The World Cup is the future we all build for, and it's here, so pick your best players regardless of age.

If they're umming and ahhing over Samo's form, then they're absolute twits. He's been freakin' electric, and should be one of the first picked.

S

Skippy

I'm pretty sure Deans will take Samo. Along with Pocock, Hodgson and McCalman. If Rocky and Paul are fit they will make it a backrow of 6 with Horwill's ability to play no 6 making it 7 backrowers in the WC squad.

I think Higgers will miss out. However if Palu and Rocky don't make it, I would expect Higgers to get the call... the contenders for the remaining spot will be Wykes, Dave Dennis, Mowen perhaps unless Dean Mumm get the spot.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets - "But you are ready to throw in some guy that hasn't played Super Rugby before?" - no mate, never said I would pick him, was asking the question will Deans. But again, I don't think having not played super rugby is a great arguement. I do however agree re youtube editing but in relation to Sharpe I'm not so certain. I'm a big fan, he's a great player and served the ARU well but Deans clearly has plans for Vickerman otherwise he wouldn't have signed him. Vicks will be given every chance to knock Sharpe out of the starting team in the 3 nations and sadly this may mean Sharpe loses his spot in the starting lineup.

But you are ready to exclude Higgers from the squad because you don't think he is up to international rugby when we have only seen him play international rugby at the end of the flogging we gave the French last year. I don't think that Deans will pick him as I think Higgers is a better option. Others will point to the stats and say that he doesn't work enough but he plays his role for the Reds very well (apart from a soft tackle attempt against the Chiefs) and I think that for the Wallabies he would be very useful.

As for Vickerman keeping Sharpe out of the squad I think it would be a huge mistake from Deans if he did that as I think they can both fit into the squad.

Also I think that if Mumm is in the RWC squad then we are in real trouble.

S

Skippy

Jetts, I don't think anyone is talkng about Sharpe not making the 'squad'. But he may lose his starting spot to Horwill and Vickers.
As for Dean Mumm... I'm not a fan either but given he can cover 6 and second row his versatility may help him come selection time.
As for Higgers, lets wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.