• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So we end up with;
1. Slipper
2. FTS
3. Keps
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higgers (if fit) Jones if not
7. Hooper
8. Big Dog
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Izzy

16. Chibba
17. Robbo
18. Benny A
19. Carter (if fit), Jones if not, Skelton only if Higgers and Carter out.
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Speight

That and some prayers.
I've never been a huge fainga fan but you cannot drop him on his last few performances.
How did you reach that outcome?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do wonder whether a ref more interested in slapping lazy arseholes laying in the way "accidentally" may have allowed more flow for the Wobs. He was keen to slap closing off, but not falling the wrong way and being in the way

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Attached is a breakdown of ruck involvement by Wallaby Forwards (and their replacements) broken down for each 10 minutes of the game.
The red numbers highlight where players seem to be working harder than the average.
The blue numbers when they have been involved lower than average (taking more passive/support role, being the ball carrier, tackling etc).
These stats are gathered from watching replays of the game. They are my own.
I compare my total ruck numbers with those from ESPN and they appear very close.
If you check out my posts for the game against Wales I also provided % early engagement (1st or 2nd to ruck) as well as % impact (Impact = active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc. More than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.)
I suggest that these ruck stats need to be viewed with the best stats you can get for runs, run m, tackles etc.
Significant ruck contributions (total game) by Backs as follows:
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) – 13, Foley – 10, Kuridrani – 9, Folau – 8, Horne – 8.
This is the 2nd Test where Hooper, McCalman and the players off the bench appear to lift for the last 10 minutes.
It's also the 2nd game where McCalman appears to move wide of the channel for Q2 and early in Q3.
Note that Skelton went MIA for the last 10 minutes.

View attachment 5637

Thanks FF (Folau Fainga'a), I appreciate the effort you've gone to.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Hard work to play so much up-tempo ball in hand when the opposition is constantly offside and slowing the ball on the ground.

The wallabies, at test level, will have to find at least two modes, one of them not being up tempo, ball in hand, phases the length of the field. That way the forwards can actually sustain enough impact to get the points.

If we're relying on them dominating collisions for 80 minutes all over the park then we're going to be disappointed in a lot of big games.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My Take:

The backs played shithouse.

TK hardly made an impact. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was OK only
Izzy, the saviour of Australian rugby wasn't just poor - he was shithouse. Moggy woukld have done a better job.

The "Iceman" did 2 good things only. His pass to Adam and his kicking - otherwise he was terrible. Quade to get a start against Ireland.
Phipps + Horne + McCalman were ok.

It was an average game for Michael Hooper. His captaincy and decision making ability are now again under question. Don't know if Moore will be any better (as he is untested anyway) but Chek needs to be looking for alternatives.

The whole starting front row were very good . Congrats to Keps on his 50th. Simmo probably had his best game.

Skjelton is just not an internation player, whether at 4/5 or 8. Carter or Jones back in the mix next week.

Ckek's winning streak of 1 has been broken. His invinceabilty dented.

Ireland will come to play. Changes for the Wallabies ??? I need to think about it......

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The criticism is a bit harsh. I watched the replay earlier today and it was a pretty good game of rugby.
Hats off to the French. Their line speed and commitment were top notch. Unfortunately we caught them on one of those days when they are in the mood. Some of their new players made a real difference. We had our moments too but could not seem to maintain momentum at any point although we were oh so close to snatching it at the end.
Poor ball security let us down but some of the spilt pill was due to the very aggressive defense as well.
It was a very fast game and Skelton struggled with the pace. Our bench players, forwards in particular, are a real step down from the starters. I doubt that will be the case come the RWC if we don't have too many injuries.
We really were not that bad. Not great but also not terrible.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Simmo probably had his best game.

Because he scored a try?
He got held up once on kickoff return resulting in their scrum - and more, I think.
Then from the very next reception at kickoff he did the same bloody thing and was lucky to get away with it.
As someone else has said it is to our long term potential benefit that we did not snatch victory because had we the backslapping would drown out the calls for examination of what we are attempting to do.
Geez there must be some ulterior agenda in that Hooper "have a rank" over there: worst player on the field - or merely worst Tah???

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
a strong expression that many posters to GAGR have very little understanding of professional rugby, have not seen the game or are voting on geographic lines. damages the credibility of the ratings greatly.

i suppose there is also the possibility of many "rankers" having a laugh or, far worse, ranking strategically in the perceived interests of their pet players. such behaviour should not be able to be hidden by transposing "r" and "w" before "ank". "wank" covers it well.
Or perhaps he wasn't up to his usually standard and captained poorly so isn't getting the votes.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Attached is a breakdown of ruck involvement by Wallaby Forwards (and their replacements) broken down for each 10 minutes of the game.
The red numbers highlight where players seem to be working harder than the average.
The blue numbers when they have been involved lower than average (taking more passive/support role, being the ball carrier, tackling etc).
These stats are gathered from watching replays of the game. They are my own.
I compare my total ruck numbers with those from ESPN and they appear very close.
If you check out my posts for the game against Wales I also provided % early engagement (1st or 2nd to ruck) as well as % impact (Impact = active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc. More than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.)
I suggest that these ruck stats need to be viewed with the best stats you can get for runs, run m, tackles etc.
Significant ruck contributions (total game) by Backs as follows:
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) – 13, Foley – 10, Kuridrani – 9, Folau – 8, Horne – 8.
This is the 2nd Test where Hooper, McCalman and the players off the bench appear to lift for the last 10 minutes.
It's also the 2nd game where McCalman appears to move wide of the channel for Q2 and early in Q3.
Note that Skelton went MIA for the last 10 minutes.

View attachment 5637

Really liking this stuff ForceFan. Should think about putting it up on the front page.

I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time, but it'd be fascinating to map out what the players are doing when they're not hitting rucks.

How can we have a lock who goes 10 minutes without hitting a single ruck?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IS - I never pick any bloke because he scores 1 try or 3. I'm interested in involement and impact on the game, and around the players. I thought Simmo was generally good.

On Hooper, a lot of people are questioning him. Generally not about his playing performances (although he wasn't good against the French) but captaincy decisions.

I have never been an active member of the Tahs conspiracy theory. I put aside my State based bias (unashamedly RED) for the Green and Gold and make comments accordingly

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hooper being ranked last in that side-bar thing is just surreal. Did any of the 607 people who downvoted him actually watch the game?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And the lineout was a shambles too IS, and as the supposed 'lineout general' he has to take most of the blame.

Agree - on that note can someone tell me WTF happened on that first lineout? The crummy (deliberately so?) french production never gave a clear shot - small beer now, I guess.
Was Simmons still on when we coughed the free kick for not throwing the ball in.....arrrgh this is making me angry all over again!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree - on that note can someone tell me WTF happened on that first lineout? The crummy (deliberately so?) french production never gave a clear shot - small beer now, I guess.
Was Simmons still on when we coughed the free kick for not throwing the ball in...arrrgh this is making me angry all over again!

Question: Is that Simmons fault or Saias' - It was terrible whoevers fault it was

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Izzy, the saviour of Australian rugby wasn't just poor - he was shithouse. Moggy woukld have done a better job.

Mogg looked out of his depth in the NRC, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Folau was nowhere near as bad as people are making out. He spilled one high ball, knocked another on, but that's about it. A week on from being one of our best he had a bit of a down game, it'll happen sometimes. He looks tired to me, hopefully Beale is being brought over as fullback cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.