• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Bokke @ Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is going to be the Bokke biggest challenge. We havent beat France at home since many moons ago. The one 6 Nation team that will stand tall against the Bokke physical challenge.

Bok news is that FdP is back to Japan, Malherbe, Alberts, Flo doubtfull and this test will show Meyers favourates hand.

tour-eiffel.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Who will wear the 15 jersey?
Supersport
Heyneke has fullback dilemma for Paris

Willie le Roux’s man of the match award against Scotland would have pleased supporters of the mercurial Cheetahs player, but his impressive performance in the wet weather may not necessarily mean he will be at fullback for the Springboks in Saturday’s final game of the tour against France.

Bok coach Heyneke Meyer stressed after the 28-0 win over Scotland in Murrayfield on Sunday that the game was not a trial for the last game of the tour here in Paris. He said the performances in that game would not weigh on his selections for Stade de France, and that the team to play was clear in his mind and had been all tour.

“Some people may not believe this, but I do do a bit of planning, and the players know when they are going to be used and when they are not going to be used,” said Meyer.

So if Meyer had decided his team for Paris before departure from South Africa, was Le Roux part of it? That is a good question if you consider that Pat Lambie was the man who lined up in the No15 jersey against Wales in the first match of the tour. Lambie didn’t stay there long, and not long after his brave effort to fall on a rolling ball under advancing Welsh feet to help set up the counter-attack that led to Jean de Villiers’ try, he had to move to flyhalf after Morne Steyn was injured.

Steyn was eventually pronounced fit enough to sit on the bench in Edinburgh after being in doubt for most of the week, and he got some game time shortly before the end. So he will be available for selection for the France game, and Meyer is likely to entrust him with the No10. That will leave the question on what to do with Lambie, and it will be interesting to see if Meyer will return to the selection that he started the tour with.

Meyer always said the middle game, the one against Scotland, would be the one where he spreads his net a bit to see if some players would “sink or swim”, which was another way of saying that the team for the Welsh test was the first choice side that would play again in Paris.

Le Roux though has done a great job in the 140 minutes he has spent on the field at fullback on this tour. Meyer praised him for his effort at the Millennium Stadium, where the coach admitted the reserve fullback was under pressure after making defensive mistakes against the All Blacks in Johannesburg in the final Castle Lager Rugby Championship game.

He didn’t single out Le Roux at the post-match press conference at Murrayfield, instead heaping praise on Lambie for his play at flyhalf, and on Bakkies Botha for his solid comeback to international rugby. But Le Roux was the official man of the match and it will be hard to ignore his claim to continue as the starting fullback against France.

Apart from fullback and prop, where he has to choose between Lourens Adriaanse and Coenie Oosthuizen for a starting place, the rest of the team looks clear cut, with Ruan Pienaar slated to replace Fourie du Preez at scrumhalf now that Du Preez has returned home.

Meyer has been happy with the progress made by the other members of his Japanese connection, JP Pietersen and Jaque Fourie, and both now look a lot more ready to face France than they did in the game against Wales.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think he'll be stupid not to start Willie le Roux. The French way of play will suit Willie to spray his magic. Will also like to see us playing more the wide game against them. Poepies in 9 is a big worry, fuck knows when any Bok coach will realise that he is not Bok material.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Think he'll be stupid not to start Willie le Roux. The French way of play will suit Willie to spray his magic. Will also like to see us playing more the wide game against them. Poepies in 9 is a big worry, fuck knows when any Bok coach will realise that he is not Bok material.

Pienaar is a strange case. He never seems to play all that well in the SA jersey but his reputation in European competition suggests he is the best starting 9 in all the leagues.

Maybe that's an indictment of the quality of 9's in Europe but I doubt it. More likely is that his style of play does not really suit the SA gameplan so that he is constantly trying not to be a square peg in a round hole rather than just playing his own game.

Don't understand why FdP is not available this weekend. We are still in the international test window so the Japanese teams cannot demand his return.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Fourie du Preez has gone home because he and his missus created the person who will be the best halfback in the world in about 20 years time :)

Hope Mrs Du Preez had the good grace to come home, don't want the world's best halfback being scooped up by Japan in 2033.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hope Mrs Du Preez had the good grace to come home, don't want the world's best halfback being scooped up by Japan in 2033.
The most important reason why they cant use chicken runners for the Bokke. ;)

France match 23
Avants: Forestier, Domingo, Kayser, Szarzewski, Mas, Slimani, Papé, Vahaamahina, Maestri, Dusautoir, Lauret, Chouly, Nyanga.

Arrières: Parra, Doussain, Tales, Michalak, Bastareaud, Fofana, Fritz, Huget, Guitoune, Dulin.

No Hairy Donkey?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree with you, but I'm curious why you say that. This is still a strong Bok team.

A strong Bok team no doubt, but the main reason I say the French are a big chance is how they played against the All Blacks. Their pack looked very strong and the backs showed more adventure than we've seen for a while. There is also the French record at home against the Boks, which is pretty good. I think it's going to be close, but I think France might sneak a win here.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A strong Bok team no doubt, but the main reason I say the French are a big chance is how they played against the All Blacks. Their pack looked very strong and the backs showed more adventure than we've seen for a while. There is also the French record at home against the Boks, which is pretty good. I think it's going to be close, but I think France might sneak a win here.
All Blacks forwards seem to struggle lately. England gave them also a work out last week. Meyer obvious have his planing work out for this having a full tight 5 on the bench. Scrums my only worry. If we dominate the physical collisons we'll be OK. At the backs its Poepies, if he clear quick we'll be OK.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
All Blacks forwards seem to struggle lately. England gave them also a work out last week. Meyer obvious have his planing work out for this having a full tight 5 on the bench. Scrums my only worry. If we dominate the physical collisons we'll be OK. At the backs its Poepies, if he clear quick we'll be OK.

Biggest problem I see is if there are injuries at 12 or 13 it might get a bit ugly. Both injured would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Biggest problem I see is if there are injuries at 12 or 13 it might get a bit ugly. Both injured would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Yes, injury to either could be a problem. May have been better to start with Jano at 9. Pienaar and Lambie are about equally versatile with the exception that Lambie is no 9 but probably a better centre given his defense.

F.Steyn will open more options for a 6/2 split down the line. PSdT covering 5 and 7. Sort of has a Juan Smith build and could provide exciting lineout options if used as a flanker later in the game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What difference does it make who starts at 9? When last did you see a game where both 9's get injured? Habana played 9 at school so in the absolute worst case he will cover for both of them.

Biggest issue is you have both back subs already on and a back goes down.

There is still enough cover but you will end up with Kolisi or Strauss on the win (where he seems to hang out a lot of the time anyway).

All other positions are covered more than adequately. JP covers 13 and 15, Fourie covers 15, Lambie covers 10,10, 15. Pienaar covers 10,12, wing and 15.

I like the idea of the extra forward. We have to take it to them upfront and not let up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tight 5 is the important one:
Coenie/Battleship/Beast
Etsebeth/Flippie
vs
Lourens/Strauss/Guthro
Bakkies/PSdT

not much init.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is going to be an acid test for Coenie against arguably the strongest scrum we will come across this year. The French always bully us when we're playing them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.