• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
The weather man has forecast snow here on friday and saturday, which will slow the game down. Does that change anybody's team sheet predictions?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I predict (and hope, for both our sakes) that we see less of Drew Mitchell's arse-tat.

Wonder how Genia is going.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It looks like the consensus is that most want Slipper, Simmons, Barnes to stay, plus Genia if fit. Most expect Deans to do something different.

As for the French, this is an opportunity to see if they are pretenders too (I'm pretty sure they are). For me, their main problem is that they think their backs are amazing, which they aren't. They don't look to me like they can unlock a defence with a piece of skill or guile, in the way the Aussie backs can do. They are quite capable of taking advantage of missed tackles and broken play. They generally defend pretty well.

The French forwards are a different story altogether. Their set piece against the Argentinians was very strong. They are fast and aggressive in the loose. Chabal played an exemplary game at 8 for them (strong ball running, secure at the back of the scrum, dominant defending, and every counter ruck or intervention was timed for maximum benefit). Nallet and Pierre got through a load of work and were great in the lineout. The front row dominated the Argentinians.

The scoreline flattered the Argentinians, and was partly a result of their willingness to infringe all over the place (especially in the rucks). The French took their penalties, rather than press their obvious dominance and go for tries.

This was their team against the Argentinians. I can't imagine any changes to the forward pack (Harinordiquay came on as a sub and played like shit):

1Thomas Domingo
2William Servat
3Nicolas Mas
4Julien Pierre
5Lionel Nallet
6Thierry Dusautoir (c)
7Julien Bonnaire
8Sebastien Chabal
9Morgan Parra
10Damien Traille
11Marc Andreu
12Yannick Jauzion
13Aurelien Rougerie
14Yohan Huget
15Alexis Palisson

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Nearly Disco's team:

We can win, it will depend on patience, phase play and a bit on reffing.

We've got Bryce Lawrence. He is to Australia what Kaplan is to the Tahs and the only SH ref who doesn't understand "tackler roll away".

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
We've got Bryce Lawrence. He is to Australia what Kaplan is to the Tahs and the only SH ref who doesn't understand "tackler roll away".

Yeah Hawko BL tends to be a...challenging ref. But quite honestly rather than complain that we got screwed, we need to get dirty. Don't roll away, lie all over it, hands in the ruck, get up offside, bore in...anything we can get away with. Maybe we could tip some Frogs on their heads, since we found out last week that's not illegal in the NH. Less bitch, more bite.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we worry too much about the reffing and there has been a lot of complaining about it this season. If we want to win these big games, our play has to adjust to their interpretation. Easier said than done of course, but the good teams like the AB's manage it well enough.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think if we can get on top of the frogs in the forwards we should be fine. Chabal had a great game on the weekend but if Rocky maintains the rage and with Pocock playing his normal game he could become isolated on occasions and feed us the ball. I think Barnes needs to be there to keep the score board ticking over and hand over the duties to Beale if they are from over half way. We have no answer at 8 without Palu and Deans isn't interested in playing Higgers there by the look of things. I was happy with Slipper and Simmons and hope they both start again. Genia to start with Burgo off the bench seems to work best in my view. I guess JOC (James O'Connor) is straight back in otherwise what is the point in him returning.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
This was their team against the Argentinians. I can't imagine any changes to the forward pack (Harinordiquay came on as a sub and played like shit):

I thought that too and it surprised me because he has been in good form for his club.

He just adds so much to the side I think they will start him. Chabal was a horses for courses selection because it's always an arm wrestle with the Argies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Horinordoquay has been great this year, especially in the 6 Nations. Between him and Chabal I'd say he provides the sliky skills, but not the same level of power and aggression that Chabal does.

Either way, this pack is up there with England and the All Blacks in terms of teams the Wallabies have played this season.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
What was that weird thing between the 8th and 12th second? Thats not normal is it...?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The weather man has forecast snow here on friday and saturday, which will slow the game down. Does that change anybody's team sheet predictions?

Ha, that makes me feel better...with the game played like at 9pm, I'd rather be in a warm pub by the fireplace in North Yorkshire than at Stade de France, so PT, I'll be thinking of you then!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I have some real worries about this game. That's a class backrow with class on the bench, Pocock's not gonna have it all his way for sure.

Some big boys out wide as well. If our lads are dreaming of tweeting from the beach rather than getting it on in arctic Paris, we're in for some real shit

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What is with the French and their obsession with starting night games closer to people's bed times?
Is it for TV or some other reason?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The selection of this team is crucial, to both win the match and to put us on course for next year. The best performed players on tour must be picked. I'd go with:

15. Beale
14. Mitchell
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Barnes
11. Turner
10. Cooper
9. Genia
8. McCalman
7. Pocock
6. Elsom
5. Simmons
4. Sharpe
3. Alexander
2. Moore
1. Slipper

16. TPN
17. Robinson
18. Mumm
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Giteau
22. JOC (James O'Connor)

The only possible change I'd make would be Burgess to start if Genia's not completely recovered. Sanchez has played too many games this year with niggling injuries (or one injury from which he's not fully recovered?), please be honest with the coaching staff, Will. And Luke, concentrate on the accuracy of your passes, no surprising stuff please. Considering JOC (James O'Connor)'s state of mind, physical preparation and travel the last fortnight I'd put him on the bench and, believe me, I'd look forward to how he'd go as a 50 minute sub against tired backs with his twinkling feet.

There I go again, rabbitting on about the backs. The pigs must be told in no uncertain terms to get stuck in at every breakdown. There's no next week, don't leave any petrol in the tank. It's going to be fascinating to see what Slipper's learnt from last week's examination.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
...I'd look forward to how he'd go as a 50 minute sub against tired backs with his twinkling feet...

I agree, Lindo, but how many times have we said this since he was included in the Wallabies set up? How many times has it actually happened?

I rewatched the ending of the Bloem game in this years TN. Burgo's cattledog impression to get the Wob's back into gear and on the front foot was incredible, and I think he's much more valuable coming off the bench than starting. Give Genia 50 minutes or less, then let Burgo do his thang.

T

trophyhunter

I agree, Lindo, but how many times have we said this since he was included in the Wallabies set up? How many times has it actually happened?

I rewatched the ending of the Bloem game in this years TN. Burgo's cattledog impression to get the Wob's back into gear and on the front foot was incredible, and I think he's much more valuable coming off the bench than starting. Give Genia 50 minutes or less, then let Burgo do his thang.

I agree also. One of Burgos biggest advantages this year has been the energy and hustle to get the tired legs moving towards the end of a game. Just so long as he avoids them stupid passes he has a habit of throwing.

JOC (James O'Connor) would be a good choice for the bench aswell. He could cover wing or come on for Barnes if his boot is way off or he is underperforming. Would make a good impact in the last 30 in my opinion.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow - Harinordoquy dropped. He being the one most Euros would have picked as no.8 in a 2010 World team based on 6N form and his heroics in test-like games for Biarritz at the pointy end of the Heineken Cup. He captained France against Fiji and like most in the rain, did not distinguish himself. His stint from the bench against the Pumas compared poorly to Sea Bass who had the game of his life as a test 8 – but for the Hairy Donkey to be dropped was a shock to all.

It could be part of a long game by coach Lièvremont to put a bit more ginger into Chabal and give him belief that he is a valid chance to start when it matters in the RWC. In a French way it may be intended to give a bit of curry to Harinordoquy also.

Lièvremont chose only one starting player from the Fiji match to run on against Argentina: 10. Traille. This is another long game methinks. Trinh-Duc has been injured and Skrela is known to consult demons as we saw 2 years ago when he missed all those goals against us. Therefore, not for the first time, Traille will get his chance to prove himself as an alternate flyhalf against a top ranked team. He adds value in that he can boot the ball a mile and kick goals from the other side of halfway, but he is not a flyhalf to put the house on.

So Traille will probably start for his third game in a row and Yachvili will cover 9 and 10. The Yak is in the form of his life but young Parra is the future and will get the nod.

12. Jauzion, the old stager, is also in the form of his life and even though Lièvremont experimented with other 12s in recent years he always goes back to this SBW type. Watch out Oz: the likely 10, 12 and 13 are all over 100kgs. Any chance for Cooper to be challenged in the game; you think?

Medard and Marty are not named in the 23 but they got knocks against Fiji IIRR. We would be squealing if such players were unavailable for the Wallabies but such is the depth in France that it doesn't rate a mention. Medard as wing is so easily covered that that old stagers Clerc and Heymans weren't even in the original squad, and Medard as fullback has at least triple coverage.

13 Marty would have good back up from the Top14 but Lièvremont had a little surprise against Argentina and started winger Rougerie there and he played well in a position he wants to play in more. The French drifted laterally too much against the Pumas, which was surprising with he and Jauzion in the midfield, but Rougerie made some good straight running breaks all the same.

The starters won't be much different from the last XV which Langthorne listed earlier. We can't be too hopeful of a quixotic selection in the front row. 1. Domingo has played above himself since world class Barcella got his achilles injury yonks ago; 3. Mas, who has a high work rate to go with his scrummaging, is one of the top THPs in world rugby; and 2. Servat would be the first hooker picked in a World XV.

The 4 guys who started in the 2nd row in the two other games are much of a muchness. The only question in the forwards is who will be the starting flanker on the right hand side of the scrum, as Dusautoir always plays on the left. The absence from the starting team of either Ouedraogo or Bonnaire will hold no joy for Oz but it's worth mentioning that none of the 3 flankers mentioned are pure fetchers; so Pocock should shine.

The back 3 could have some changes though. IMO Porical is a better fullback than Pallison, who may however replace Huget on the wing. I don't think that this back three will be the RWC back three; so Lièvremont may be playing another long game with less experienced players. They can play though; my word, they can play.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Okay, well we know that the English are going to be there, or there abouts come World Cup time if they continue on their slow climb, but will the French? A year ago you would say yes, having knocked over the All Blacks away and did they win the 6 Nations? However with some poor showings against South Africa I'm not sure they deserve the title as best NH team yet. I'm actually excited about the prospect of a really competitive English and French team at next years World Cup to tango with the big 3 (NZ, SA, AUS) in the knock out games. Therefore, at the same time, I'm really excited to knock one of these teams over now, having lost to England already. And if Deans has learnt anything this Spring Tour it is that there is more to test rugby than beating the All Blacks, now that that box has been ticked.

Bottom line, this is the last dress rehearsal before things get very very serious next year. Incumbants, if they perform exceptionally in this game, you would think, will get first shot next year at a starting role. Which is huge really, if you consider the amount of Australia players floating around in the Super 15 next year with test experience under Deans or previous coaches. I'm not going to bother naming who I think should start in this test as I will be alot more concerned with team dynamics, tactics and a very positive win than any individual performance. We have had enough moments of individual brilliance this year anyway, often in losing sides - time to look forward to some memorable team performances ahead of next year.

Wallabies by 6

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not going to bother naming who I think should start in this test as I will be a lot more concerned with team dynamics, tactics and a very positive win than any individual performance. We have had enough moments of individual brilliance this year anyway, often in losing sides - time to look forward to some memorable team performances ahead of next year.

Well said. Yours truly doesn't get involved a lot in who should be in teams and who not, and who were the star performers and who the duds in the past game. Compared to team effort and intangible matters like playing with mongrel as a group, holding their nerve etc, etc, individual selections are mostly marginal. Anyway the performances of individuals are so influenced by team play, good or bad, that most assessments need an asterisk attached to them.

No mail on this please: there are a few exceptions, such as when Baxter was ignored when the Oz scrum was already in trouble and he was still healthy. People carry on too much about this player and that being terrifically good or bad but they aren't right a lot of the time. It's fun to be involved in discussions on players though; so you can't knock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.