• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the only change id make would be JOC (James O'Connor) for turner
JOC (James O'Connor) has scored tries turner cant from the same positions this year and i dont think turner showed much in the italy game
also id bet my house JOC (James O'Connor) would have scored from at least one of the chances turner was given last weekend

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Despite the superior depth of players in France I reckon that Oz have a good chance in this test match. It's not that the 6N Grand Slam winners this year have 15 supermen playing backed up by 15 excellent test players backed up by 15 goodish players. It's more width than depth really. They just have more choices of roughly the same ability players than we have.

There's no doubt that their front row as a unit is superior at scrummaging, nor that their no.8 chosen this week is a more dominating player based on his game last Saturday than our guy is. The iconic Chabal can have quiet games but Lièvremont will have him running at Cooper all night.

On the other hand they don't have an out and out fetcher like Pocock. Their flankers are more linkers and all rounders though Dusatoir gets his hands in sometimes.

Young scrummie Parra will be a world class player one day, whatever that means, but Genia or Burgess at their best are a match for his best. We have the edge at flyhalf, on attack at least, and though Rougerie played well at 13 last weekend the winger is new to the position at test level (though not for Clermont).

I'd rate our back three on current form better than the French version and our X factor in the back line generally is superior. Not often we can say that when comparing France with Oz.

It's in the engine room that the French will likely have it over us, and that could affect our backs attacking chances too. There won't be a lot of hanging back to see what is going to happen from them; they will charge in to make things happen. Their locks are not stars but they are hard nosed pros, as the front rowers are.

Another thing is the superior size and power of the 10, 12 and 13, all over 100kgs. Until the appearance of SBW there has been no better midfielder than 12. Jauzion at running into contact and offloading the pill.

Barnes had a good day goal kicking in Florence but game in, game out, Parra is better and we have nobody like howitzer Traille for longer kicks. Nor is our backup kicker as good as Yachvili is. We will have to score at least one more try than they do and also somehow escape the wrath of the ref in the scrums, because that will cost us points and perhaps a card.

Having said all that France did not play well against Argentina last Saturday playing with a majority of their first string players - and only Traille has started in both of their autumn tests. The Fiji game was not that great either though it was difficult to perform in gale like conditions.

You'd have to back France, but they haven't beaten us for 5 years. Therefore we have a good chance, but only if our forwards measure up and our backs contain their mid-fielders.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
History is on our side Lee, but I can't see where on the field we are beating the French. Beale's chip kicks could score a couple of tries, but if our defence isn't organised quickly (and it rarely is), then they could counter-attack for a couple of their own.

I reckon conditions will scare the boys too much and we won't be able to get up for this one.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scarfman - I'd rate our counter-attack better than there's, but you're right about our guys being slow to reorganise as they were against England. If they can get the ball out to their whippy wingers in space we will be in strife. So long as our smaller backs can stop Jauzion unloading the ball, and we're not ball watching, we'll go OK IMO - though I'm whistling as I type that.

If this French side had played together as much as our guys have I wouldn't give us a big chance but they've only played the Argentine game as a group. The XV v. Fiji was very much an A team XV going by the selection of the 23 for Saturday. One is never sure what the France A team is.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
And it will be the last game televised by Channel 10 for a while.....

I think the main thing for us is that we seem to have it over the Fench mentally recently...or did. And we upset their discipline...though the French can easil do that for themselves. The current set of Wallbies seem not to have that mental strength or Rugby intelligence in them...though hopefully Rocky is learning in his captaincy role and we may start seeing something there.

But if the French get a good start, I can't see us chasing them down. With other teams, like the AB's, Saffas or English etc, a lead is protected. With the French in Paris, a lead is a shot in the arm and just encourages them.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Genia pads up for return David Beniuk
November 24, 2010 - 2:04PM

Wallabies halfback Will Genia will wear special padding to protect his injured ribs in his likely return to the starting line-up for Saturday night's (0645 Sunday AEDT) Test against France.

Genia has been wearing the protective guard at training since suffering the cartilage problem in the loss to England at Twickenham two weekends ago.

The 22-year-old spent the entire match against Italy on the Australian bench while Luke Burgess wore the No.9 jersey.

"When you're playing, you don't really think about it too much and feel it, but (the padding is) just so it's protected and after the game it's not too sore from the bumps and bruises," Genia said.

Genia is likely to be one of two changes to the starting side, with winger James O'Connor back in the squad following his dash home.

O'Connor's replacement in Florence, Lachie Turner, should return to the bench with Pat McCabe, who made a brief Test debut against the Azzurri, dropping out of the 22.

Genia was keen to play against Italy, but Deans has said his stint among the reserves was a good example of how he hopes players are managed in the lead-up to next year's Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

"It was a tough pill to swallow not playing last week but, having had a chat to (Robbie), he said he wanted to freshen me up," Genia said.

"It's probably better for not having played ... but for this week's game I'll be pretty much back to a hundred per cent."

Genia and Burgess offer Deans a huge contrast at halfback. The Queenslander is all smooth service and nimble feet, while the less consistent Burgess bustles opponents in attack and defence.

"We get together a lot," Genia said.

"As both scrum halves for the side, we work together on looking at weaknesses that we think as halfbacks we can expose and things we need to work on in our game.

"He's probably a little more direct than I am, he likes to really back himself, back his running game and have a go.

"I probably like to play a little bit more."

Genia is widely seen as a Wallabies captain in waiting, a position the Australian hierarchy admitted he was considered for before this international season, but he has scoffed at those suggestions.

"I laugh at them," he said.

"I think Rocky (Elsom) is an outstanding captain, he's definitely grown into the role of being the leader of the group and he's doing an excellent job.

"(I) don't really think about it too much, or not at all."

Genia is a chance of continuing as Queensland captain when the man he replaced, James Horwill, returns from injury for the 2011 Super Rugby season.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/genia-pads-up-for-return-20101124-186pn.html

I've got an issue with this. I think when fit and firing Sanchez is up there with Parra and DuPreez as one of the best halves in the world. Unfit though is asking a bit much and it seems he is being played whilst not right on a regular basis.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he gets a more serious injury from this I am going to be raging. Although it is the last hit-out for a while so maybe that's why Dingo's decided to go ahead with it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/genia-pads-up-for-return-20101124-186pn.html

I've got an issue with this. I think when fit and firing Sanchez is up there with Parra and DuPreez as one of the best halves in the world. Unfit though is asking a bit much and it seems he is being played whilst not right on a regular basis.

I'll admit that I didn't watch a lot of Wallaby games last year apart from the AB Tests but I haven't seen anything yet this year that would support this statement.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll admit that I didn't watch a lot of Wallaby games last year apart from the AB Tests but I haven't seen anything yet this year that would support this statement.

He was world class in the S14 this year till his injury. Since then he has come back to the field in a big way and looked to me to be playing injured in all the winter tests. He has not been as good as he can be in any of the 2010 tests and I think he has been over-played to his detriment. While Deans is a good coach he has four or five major blind spots, and over-playing injured players is one of them.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Wallabies halfback Will Genia will wear special padding to protect his injured ribs in his likely return to the starting line-up for Saturday night's (0645 Sunday AEDT) Test against France.

"Genia has been wearing the protective guard at training since suffering the cartilage problem in the loss to England at Twickenham two weekends ago."

It's not an area in which I have any expertise, but I wouldn't think that flexible padding would be an effective form of protection for a rib injury. As I understand it IRB regulations do not permit any form of rigid protection which would seem to be what is required.

What can be confidently predicted is that the nation that has elevated the squirrel grip to an art form will test the efficacy of our man's padding.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
It'll probably be ripped off in the first five minutes.

I also always found that "protective padding" tended to just make me more conscious of an injury/sore spot and more likely to favour it. I prefer being hit hard, lots, just beforehand so it's numb when I run out (and it gets BETTER during the game). I accept that methodology might not work in international rugby :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have had rib cartlidge injuries before and they fking hurt. Playing was not an option until fully recouperated.

My damage was probably worse that Sanchez's, but I agree with The Brown Hornet, and Bruce Ross.

If he isn't properly fit, then he shouldn't play cause the Frogs will absolutely take advantage of that to Sanchez's disadvantage.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I prefer being hit hard, lots, just beforehand so it's numb when I run out (and it gets BETTER during the game). I accept that methodology might not work in international rugby :D

I also doubt very much that that methodology would work with a rib injury. I don't know how long it would be before the injured area became numb but suspect that the player might be unconscious well before then.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting to read this thread actually - Australia France is one of those enigma games. I'm not sure what to make of it before, during & after.

I don't have the gut feeling for you lot I did pre England that you were going to get trounced, but I also can't see an emphatic victory. I guess it depends on which French team turns up (in 2010 that typical French attribution could go towards Aussie as well). This thread seems like Quade will start, but I don't think he's been adequately punished for his shithouse defence vs England. I'd go with the Giteau/Barnes combo myself to start, with QC (Quade Cooper) on the bench looking at a 50-60 min mark injection (unless the other 2 are going fine in which case he misses out all together).

Pocock should be his abrasive best against the French - he's the sort of player that could really piss them off. But in the tight 5, it's the French all the way I think. However, I've never really bought into the adage of the forwards decide who wins, backs by how much... so I'm going to pick a win for the Green & Golds.

Wobs by 3-5, but not in a game which feels "tight".

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hopefully Bam will not be wearing gits' headgear on saturday - did we ever find out what was up with his ear?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
my major problem with genias injury is that has been advertised to the french team?
he may as well walk out with a big target on his fkn ribs! why was this info not top secret?
everyone knows genia will play through an injury so all the frogs have to do is hit him hard in the ribs and he and the backline will suffer all game

Reactions: Epi
Status
Not open for further replies.