• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GAGR Vote - Should Deans go after the EOYT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I no longer believe the ARU is capable of running a rigorous anything!

Until we get an Independant Commision nothing will change.

How can it? the same people who have allowed our game to be dragged down to its current depths the way they have are not going to change overnight.

I doubt that they could run a piss-up in a brewery!

bennalong

Frank Row (1)
People complain. Apparently endlessly unless we're winning against the All Blacks.
Like all Deans supporters I'm sick of pointing out that injuries have prevented the continuity needed to build team continuity andunderstanding.
Judging a coach who has had to cobble together a team from leftovers would seem to an adult mind to be unfair. Like judging a team when the players keep changing
seems unfair
The mind of the child just wants to win
Tell me the coach and the pivots who should have taken us to a win at the World Cup and I'll listen to you
Otherwise get behind the team.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
People complain. Apparently endlessly unless we're winning against the All Blacks.
Like all Deans supporters I'm sick of pointing out that injuries have prevented the continuity needed to build team continuity andunderstanding.
Judging a coach who has had to cobble together a team from leftovers would seem to an adult mind to be unfair. Like judging a team when the players keep changing
seems unfair
Tell me the coach and the pivots who should have taken us to a win at the World Cup and I'll listen to you
Otherwise get behind the team.

Robbie, is that you? Robbie's dad maybe? If not you have taken great lengths to learn Deans speak Bennalong.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
seems unfair

If he was in his 2nd year your points would be valid. He is in his 5th. Injuries have been particularly cruel this year, no one denies that, but he lost the shed with a stodgy world cup game plan and lost the public soon after with his inability to articulate his thoughts/passion and instead subjects us to constant strings of verbal diarrhoea.
Otherwise get behind the team

It's nothing to do with the worldcup that's been, it's about the Lions and worldcup to come. No one begrudges Robbie for having a shot in 2011, but his team and game plan weren't up to scratch, so it's time to give someone else a shot.

bennalong

Frank Row (1)
If he was in his 2nd year your points would be valid. He is in his 5th. Injuries have been particularly cruel this year, no one denies that, but he lost the shed with a stodgy world cup game plan and lost the public soon after with his inability to articulate his thoughts/passion and instead subjects us to constant strings of verbal diarrhoea.

It's nothing to do with the worldcup that's been, it's about the Lions and worldcup to come. No one begrudges Robbie for having a shot in 2011, but his team and game plan weren't up to scratch, so it's time to give someone else a shot.
Well tell me the coach and pivots we should have had! We had Genia and Quade
I presume you keep Genia
Which coach and which 5/8 ????

And for the Lions, Genia's not fit Quade's in doubt, which coach is going to save us and with which pivots?

It's easy in the armchair (computer chair)

Who's going to beat the Lions and the All Blacks for us next year?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
And for the Lions, Genia's not fit Quade's in doubt, which coach is going to save us and with which pivots?

I'll leave the first bit, as it's just looking backwards and pointless. Can't change what happened.

Genia is looking to be fit for round 4 of Super Rugby, so he will have ~12 games under his belt before the Lions, I expect him to play.

Cooper, I guess we will know Monday if he is a possibility. If Robbies is still in charge I would assume not.

As to who is going to beat the Lions and AB's? Your argument appears to be, "no one has done better than Deans in the last 5 years, ergo no one could.

Those of us advocating for change are doing it in the belief that someone else could come in and make positive changes. Selecting players in their correct positions and bringing a culture of belief would be a few good starting points.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well tell me the coach and pivots we should have had! We had Genia and Quade
I presume you keep Genia
Which coach and which 5/8 ????

Bennalong, you are new here so maybe don't realise that the complaints about Deans are older than 3 months. More like 3 years, actually. You'll need a loonng list of excuses to cover the whole period.

bennalong

Frank Row (1)
Bennalong, you are new here so maybe don't realise that the complaints about Deans are older than 3 months. More like 3 years, actually. You'll need a loonng list of excuses to cover the whole period.

New here but old.
Old enough to see that blaming the coach is too simple. But a lot of bloggers simply need to scapegoat someone. A lot display childish antipathies when they only know what they read and see at game time
I would say that since both Genia and Cooper suffered potentially career ended cruciate ligament tears there's a good chance they won't be back on schedule and may not fully return to form. This would be disastrous but I make this point because 'life is tough', 'best laid plans of mice and men', are blindingly true for rugby. Deans has had to contend with a mountain of unexpected change!
Quade's performance at the World Cup was unforseeable and a disaster, yet many here want him back, all forgiven, Deans and the ARU (they are often put together) are the problem. Like Deans, I could accept him back but the lack of logic in dispensing blame is impossible to swallow.
There's even a whole thread of commentary lamenting poor skills as though the national coach is responsible for basics. Laughable.
I see plenty of positives emerging and I see plenty of reasons to allow Deans to take this hugely expanded players group to see out next season and particularly the Lions Tour.
The set piece is promising, the tight five are looking good, the loosies are great. the backline appears to be growing in confidence and we have decent goal kickers.
Plenty of reason for optimism but you want change!
You'll get it, but it mightn't be Deans.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The game of rugby is really just sets of basic skills joined together.
The best teams have coaches who can get their teams to execute their basic skills consistently under pressure.
If some individuals bring something extra to teams such as extreme pace or brilliant footwork, that's a bonus.
If Deans or any future Wallaby coach has a team deficient in basic skills, they have no choice than to develop these skills.
Failure to do so will result in inconsistent performances and/or poor performances under pressure.......sound familiar?

bennalong

Frank Row (1)
The game of rugby is really just sets of basic skills joined together.
The best teams have coaches who can get their teams to execute their basic skills consistently under pressure.
If some individuals bring something extra to teams such as extreme pace or brilliant footwork, that's a bonus.
If Deans or any future Wallaby coach has a team deficient in basic skills, they have no choice than to develop these skills.
Failure to do so will result in inconsistent performances and/or poor performances under pressure...sound familiar?

Sounds too familiar. Simplistic even. I pointed out you Deans haters think like that! Read my piece again and gaze into your crystal ball
You want change?
Who's going to take over and change our fortune's? Link? Nucifora?
Who will be your 5/8? Your halfback?
Nah! No Worries! just get rid of Deans and everything will fall into place!

For now..............GO the WALLABEEZZZZZ!!!!!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Sounds too familiar. Simplistic even. I pointed out you Deans haters think like that! Read my piece again and gaze into your crystal ball
You want change?

For now......GO the WALLABEEZZZZZ!!!!!
Take it easy Focker, it's just a game!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You want change?

Such eloquent reasoning. You have changed my mind. I will send an email to the ARU immediatley demanding that Robbie is appointed "Dictator Coach for Life". If he can't get the Wallabies to win consistently, no one can. There is no point changing anything, ever.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You want change?

Yet blaming the poor showings this season on injuries is not simplistic? I guess selecting unfit, out of form, injured players and players out of position were forced on him.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Deans - that was terrible, game plan, structure, varation options, the coach has to take responsability for that terrible perfermance. That was attrocious, we are nearing the end of our season, watching that game v Italy was like watching a team that was put together the morning of game day. Nobody new what each other was doing - Deans you are to blame.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
SACK HIM - sooner the better;
That game V Italy, it was like our team was put together the morning of the game. There was no plan/s, structure, or execution. That is the coaches job.
I cant remeber when we had 7 structure phases with a purpose.
The kicking has been aimless.
The angles run have had no contingent thought.
It is toxically terrible at the moment, we are near the end of our seasson and against a team like Italy (no disrespect) we should beable to shred them up with speed, angles, and rugby brains - unfortnately -----
Deans it is the players that run out - but to have an international team that has had 3 + months to gel put on a performance like that it is a coach disgrace. To hold the players accountable is wrong.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree. the execution was poor, the kicking again lamentable, the game plan (?) what was it. we again got towelled up at the breakdown. these are professional footballers playing their umpteenth game (together or not is not totally relevant) who can't hang on to the ball in contact, choose the wrong option, often, (not occasionally), cannot seem to concentrate at EVERY set piece. i am not talking about backline combinations or slick moves or the intuitive running lines the at come from playing together a lot, just executing the basics. this is what they are supposed to do for a living FFS. at least today they didn't drop any high ball !
the coach keeps talking about "the program" and how all the players are supposed to be interchangeable. this is his job to mould what we have.; yes its true there have been many new wallabies this year but most have been in wallaby squads and camps for the past few seasons.
we are all very aware this is not our best XV on paper, but it is the repetitive nature of the mistakes that is killing the fans, well this one anyway. as i posted earlier, perhaps they really are all very dumb and slow learners

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would say that the new Wallabies this year have put in some of the best individual performances especially on the tour up here and towards the end of the rugby championship.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes i agree with that, cummins has been, to me, a revelation; timani poor last night, by and large has been good; douglas apart from one bad outing has also excelled at times; gill has put in; of course hooper has been sensational and tapuai although not new played well again last night (one of our best imo). my real point is either the cattle cant/don't comprehend the coaches plans or cant/wont execute them or the coach cant devise a way to use the troops at his disposal. either way its a massive problem and needs fixing, changing coaches seems like the only soution,

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I think a lot of the new players have been mostly good. Timani was average last night, but has been good at other times. A silver lining to our injury woes has been seeing a few players that seem to be good enough at this level, and who will get better with time.
I find it hard to lay all the problems of poor execution / handling / kicking at the coaches' feet. Game plans, defensive structures, selections (general and positional) sure can be. But come on, these guys ought to be able to do the basics well.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree totally, but given you cannot change the available sheep and so reluctantly i am joining the call for a new shepherd to hopefully get the available talent firing more consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.