• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Reserve grade at Manly on a very fine Sunday saw a gallant effort by Wicks to take out a win.
All players did their jobs well
Special mention to Vizer in a very determined pack and to Wakim and also Toese in a good display by the backs.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
GREAT win by the Wicks today. Thought the forwards dominated despite the hype about the WH pack. Tom Connor & Pete Samu were my picks however the others contributed well.
The Backs were brilliant - hard to find a weak link with Horwitz a standout.
Thought the coach did well - they were obviously out there to run the beefy WH forwards around and it worked a treat.
Special mention about Hoiles - he is pure class and it showed.
Well done boys.

Horwitz continues to impress.
His try in Argentina was very similar to one he scored for NSWU19 last year (on YouTube).
Like to see him run more!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Do the Wicks have a chance of beating Souths on Saturday?

(Same team named as last week's run on side ie no LaLa)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Do the Wicks have a chance of beating Souths on Saturday?

(Same team named as last week's run on side ie no LaLa)
Different side with Horwitz at 5.8 and Samu in the forwards.

We came unstuck last time vs souths in the scrum and outwide in defence (samu was actually beaten for lateral pace twice). I thought Callum fryer had a storming game vs wests and wasn't there v Souths in 2nd last round match. If Kotezky and Wright can shut down their backs watch for it to go down to the wire. Id go as far as saying if we can nulify their scrum we win. Go Wicks!

Don't expect to see Hoiles for too long out there the achillies is holding up well but the hamstring not so much.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Different side with Horwitz at 5.8 and Samu in the forwards.

We came unstuck last time vs souths in the scrum and outwide in defence (samu was actually beaten for lateral pace twice). I thought Callum fryer had a storming game vs wests and wasn't there v Souths in 2nd last round match. If Kotezky and Wright can shut down their backs watch for it to go down to the wire. Id go as far as saying if we can nulify their scrum we win. Go Wicks!

Don't expect to see Hoiles for too long out there the achillies is holding up well but the hamstring not so much.

Is LaLa on the bench?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hoiles brought composure and the smarts in his appearance even if it was for only a short time. Take away the Souths big men early and wicks in with a very good chance especially if defence on the outskirts holds.
Would like to see Wakin late in the second half if we are behind, as he is very elusive against tiring big men.
Might need a few fresh reserves in the forwards with twenty to go.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Kudos must go to Goodbody as well. He handled Lolohea well in the scrum, especially early when the big unit was fresh. The try he scored backing up with the turn of speed was great to watch.

Good side and attitude on Saturday. Classy touches by Hoiles and Samu's first 20 were great.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Wicks 2s played well.
Have many players run out in 1s the year, and how many could still be eligible for colts.
We had a couple of season ender's in that game, hope we bounce back.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wicks 2s played well.
Have many players run out in 1s the year, and how many could still be eligible for colts.
We had a couple of season ender's in that game, hope we bounce back.

Dave, at a rough count I'd say about 8 of them were in the run on team in 1sts this year at some stage, but almost all have come off the bench in firsts.

I think only Zeb Holmes-Baer, Harry Boileau and maybe Charlie Wakim are still eligible for Colts. Zeb's a converted loose forward and is showing great promise IMO.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
Not sure the make up of the bench. Paila was pretty good when he came on and if la la ready to go i would expect to see both feature. Would expect to see bauman come on also late in the game.
Anyone seen Kepu running around can the coach give him a call for sat and maybe Mitchell both not playing at the moment that would make it a more interesting clash.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone seen Kepu running around can the coach give him a call for sat and maybe Mitchell both not playing at the moment that would make it a more interesting clash.

Kepu came off the bench against the ABs last Saturday so I assume he's locked up with the Wobblies. Mitchell played for Balmain last weekend which they advertised as his fairwell game before heading off to France. In any case, as Balmain is his nominated club (and they lend him to the Wicks), I'd assume he would have to have played the required (3?) games for the Wicks this year to play in the finals. I think he only played twice.

Nice thought though!

BTW, anyone know where Sekope's little brother Sione has disappeared to? I thought he showed some promise as a backrower.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whillst both top notch players I actually think their inclusion would have been of a detriment anyway. Best to go with the side that won on saturday. They arent without a chance.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
the coach has Horwitz signed with the Rebs yet?
It's great seeing young talent step up, at the Tahs there would be a number of players ahead of him however that a great way to learn.
This post so if the Rebs do a Brumbies and don't allow him to return how does that make you feel?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
the coach has Horwitz signed with the Rebs yet?
It's great seeing young talent step up, at the Tahs there would be a number of players ahead of him however that a great way to learn.
This post so if the Rebs do a Brumbies and don't allow him to return how does that make you feel?

IMO he's not ready for S15 yet, especially his defence.
Sorry, not heard anything about him and the Rebels.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The story about Horwitz signing with the Rebels may be alittle bit of confusion. I know that they have invited several youngsters (U20) to training sessions with them and are keeping an eye on them for now

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The story about Horwitz signing with the Rebels may be alittle bit of confusion. I know that they have invited several youngsters (U20) to training sessions with them and are keeping an eye on them for now
I agree with the Coach - think Horwitz is good however will be better with some more Shute Shield under his belt. Thought Sifiloi outpointed him on Saturday
Where to next year for the Wicks? Who is about and who is moving on?
We need some size in the piggies. I hear Neo & Geoff Ingram have both retired.
Terrence is gone so we need some centres as well. Thought Tim Wright was good, just hope he goes around again.
Plenty of gaps to be addressed....

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How do you rate the season for the firsts?
I thought we did very well with most of the game plan and all the boys never lacked commitment and were up for every game.
Breakdown, scrum and Backs defence lines need lots of work.

Pass?
Lets see what Reserves can do on Saturday and you may have some of the answer to next year.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree with the Coach - think Horwitz is good however will be better with some more Shute Shield under his belt. Thought Sifiloi outpointed him on Saturday
Where to next year for the Wicks? Who is about and who is moving on?
We need some size in the piggies. I hear Neo & Geoff Ingram have both retired.
Terrence is gone so we need some centres as well. Thought Tim Wright was good, just hope he goes around again.
Plenty of gaps to be addressed..

Yes MACCA, I agree with you.
Some young guys showed promise this year but if Nio and Ingram have retired a lot of experience has been lost from the forwards. Hopefully Hoiles will carry on next year, but I think we need a forward leader, and LaLa's not the man IMO.
A strong, hard running centre to act as a foil for Horwitz would be useful and I think Koteczky would do well outside such a player as well. Plenty of depth in wingers in the colts, and hopefully Lautolo will continue to develop as a fullback.
10th last year, 8th this year = marginal improvement on the points ladder but good wins over Souths, Easts, Norths and Wests (someone's got a compass!) suggested the form on occasions was better than the ladder indicated. However, we're still a long way from being able to challenge Uni, Eastwood and Manly who all beat us comfortably this year.
Interesting that Matt Carraro joined the Barbarians squad in Argentina. He would be a very useful addition to the team next year.

On another subject, my mates and I all commented that Kepu looked totally lost on Saturday and I was trying to work out who he would have played with before. Probably only Nio and Tim Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.