• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Solid win today. Gordon's plan seemed to be to diffuse our running game and engage in an arm wrestle. The good news was that the Wicks were able to beat them at that as well. Brogan Roods was impressive in his comeback and the 9 was good. Thought our forwards won the collisions and got the edge. Pleased to see them win a slugfest as well as the open running games they played earlier this year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Think Randwick dominated the first half especially the influence of Horwitz was obvious.

Gordon had the bigger forward back but it didn't really show. Randwick look like they have some good players and structures through the grades and if they can improve physicality some of those sides could be premiership contenders in the next few seasons. They did show good skills though and I can understand why the club is having a good year.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Wicks played hospitable hosts to Gordon everywhere but on the field.
Fourths had Mr McKay playing a blinder in his 150th game. The team lifted under his leadership to take a good 32-5 win. Gordons number 8 played well and deserves a mention.
Thirds had a good hard tussel with two very well worked tries by Gordon but not enough to spoil the day. The Wicks scrum was dominant throughout with Selby the standout performer.36-11.
I do hope the Gordon lad who was knocked out is OK.
Seconds another torrid affair with some large Gordon lads using their size well. Wicks were too good on the day and Harris and Celona enjoyed good games in the forwards. At 33-7 I thought the score was not indicative of the closeness of the contest.
Firsts , as has already been mentioned, had a good win at 22-10. Gordon were physical but the Wicks eight managed to weather that and return some as well. The backline looked slick in patches and their defence was well organised and good. Vea had a good game in the forwards with some cheeky steals.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Think Randwick dominated the first half especially the influence of Horwitz was obvious.

Gordon had the bigger forward back but it didn't really show. Randwick look like they have some good players and structures through the grades and if they can improve physicality some of those sides could be premiership contenders in the next few seasons. They did show good skills though and I can understand why the club is having a good year.

Thanks for the feedback AD.The Highlanders are also a big improvement from last year as well.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
As you know I am sure some clubs know how to win. I think our depth is slightly better in 3rd and 4th grade but we have a slightly worse second grade that is taking a while to progress after losing both it's coaches from last season. The player depth in that side is not that bad but developing - hopefully next season it comes back to the finals fore.

With the progression of the colts next season grade should get a good influx.

In regards to 1st grade the only side that has beaten this side by more than that this season is Eastwood (everyone else by less than 12 points).

In the 1st half Randwick were particularly impressive and Horwitz was classy. The forwards who were smaller from the Wicks did own up and get on top of the Gordon pack bar Johnson who had a good game. Rorke also had some good runs.

The clubs administration has very much copied Randwick's current route in terms of developing through colts and not paying players (copied from Sydney Uni & joined currently by Norths).

I would say we have had two good years of Colts recruitment in the last two seasons and for a club to be successful this way I think it would take at least 5 or 6 before the first grade side are really a top 2 or 3 side. The lower grade sides should start to be very strong over the next few years though.

The point I mentioned about Randwick's physicality is going to be interesting to see develop over the next few seasons. The Wicks were not short of tall timber throughout the grades but once they get to the point of having all these players a bit older and a bit more battle hardened combined with the continuing of good recruiting in colts Randwick's time will come in the next few seasons in my opinion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
One potential pitfall I can see from recruiting good players and developing them into better players via the colts programme, is that there must be turnover at the top end of the programme into either Super Rugby or Japan/Europe pro teams* to keep providing First Grade opportunities for those developed through the Colts programme.

There is a big danger of aspirational players heading to other clubs if they are not getting game time in First Grade due to a road block player ahead of them in the packing order. Alternately the player behind the road block may need to "retrain" in another position to get First Grade game time.

* turnover could be achieved through players retiring prematurely due to injury, lifestyle, work, study or travel as well.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks like 3rd and 4th grade have been banished to Latham again this Saturday. I really enjoy watching colts 1, but 3rd grade at least should be on the "big stage" at Coogee IMO.

As a result, colts 3 kick off at 9:10am at Latham -- hope the boys don't stay up too late studying on Friday night ;)

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Team selections
who is Hutchinson, old player or new player , has not played for Randwick this year and in firsts. Coach ?
Frier in first grade -seriously? Fit enough

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Henry Hutchison is a young speedster in his first year out of Riverview. While appearing small in stature he plays big, and as a 16 year old was able to foot it with the England Under 18 team (most of whom had been in pro academies for many years, and had been full time pro players for at least 6 months) while playing for the Aust Schoolboys on their NH tour in 2013.

He has had a couple of starts in 2nd grade Wicks but has been on Under 20 squad duty (state and National) for much of the year, and would be in Italy at the Jnr RWC now but for an injury while the squad was being prepared.

Henry is a good pick up for the Wicks and will not disappoint. I'd be more worried that he will be lost to Coogee Oval for National Rugby 7's duties.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Team selections
who is Hutchinson, old player or new player , has not played for Randwick this year and in firsts. Coach ?
Frier in first grade -seriously? Fit enough

Henry Hutchinson is from Riverview (2013) and I believe he played in the Wicks premiership winning colts 1 team last year. He was in the u20s preliminary world cup squad this year but had to withdraw due to injury. He's played a couple of lower grade games this year but I think this is his first game back from injury. Surprise to see him in 1st grade.

See below re Adam Freier:
http://www.randwickrugby.com.au/new...-set-for-shute-shield-return-against-students

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Only 1 "n" in Hutchison. He was at Riverview last year. Did NOT play for the 2014 Wicks Colts 1 Premiership winning team (Water Polo Mud Larks Division). I reckon he will not disappoint in First Grade even if it is a surprise to some. He's a keeper.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
^^^ Only 1 "n" in Hutchison. He was at Riverview last year. Did NOT play for the 2014 Wicks Colts 1 Premiership winning team (Water Polo Mud Larks Division). I reckon he will not disappoint in First Grade even if it is a surprise to some. He's a keeper.

Thanks for the corrections HJ -- the errors re 2013 and 2014 are mine, but the extra "n" seems to have been an ongoing problem on the Wicks and other websites!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
On a lighter side too Gentlemen, I heard the real reason that Adam Freier has been elevated to the 1's is that after the game he is teaching the rest of the team how to shave. And to get the average age over 20 ;)

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Word is he was in third grade but refused to play at Latham and got shunted up
Wicks may get more joining the rebellion if split fields at home games continue

Status
Not open for further replies.