• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow you blokes really know what you are talking about & I haven't read every word but I agree with everything everyone has said & I know some have opposite views. Haha. Must say I think coach is right to give the young & upcoming guns opportunities at higher levels, Norton I thought deserved a place in 2nds at season's start. These coaches are developing players strongly & I appreciate their expertise & efforts. If they don't make some mistakes I will think they are not trying hard enough & if they make endless mistakes they are reckless. Courage, focus & mental strength provide challenges & develop Randwick. The management is good.

Well said Pedro, I agree they're on the right track and we have to accept there'll be some speed bumps along the way but you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs (sorry about the multiple cliches!).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Could someone who had a better view of the Tom Bennett send off (2nd grade) and the lead up maul (clear head butt, no argument with the ref's decision) explain the penalty try decision?

Didn't impact on the outcome of the match, but I'm puzzled by the decision.

There appeared to be two players (Bennett and someone from Uni) exchanging elbows to the head before the maul broke up into an all-in mellee and the referee awarded a penalty to Uni. Then the head butt happened, the asst refs got involved, Bennett was sent off, and the ref awarded a penalty try???

BTW, Bennett had multiple bruises on his face which suggested he wasn't the only one who should have spent some time off the ground.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Uni certainly established their position in the pecking order on Saturday beating Randwick convincingly in all grades and colts (except a narrow one point loss in 4th grade).

Well done Uni.

I have to say the 4th grade game was one the most entertaining and best games I've seen all year. Both sides strung together multiple phases and the standard of handling was exceptional for 4th grade. The lead changed hands many times and either side could have won.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Could someone who had a better view of the Tom Bennett send off (2nd grade) and the lead up maul (clear head butt, no argument with the ref's decision) explain the penalty try decision?

Didn't impact on the outcome of the match, but I'm puzzled by the decision.

There appeared to be two players (Bennett and someone from Uni) exchanging elbows to the head before the maul broke up into an all-in mellee and the referee awarded a penalty to Uni. Then the head butt happened, the asst refs got involved, Bennett was sent off, and the ref awarded a penalty try???

BTW, Bennett had multiple bruises on his face which suggested he wasn't the only one who should have spent some time off the ground.
Bennett had his arms held by 2 Uni guys while another whacked him. That is why he used his head (or not used his head looking at it another way). I saw Bennett cop the elbows to the head however don't condone the rest.
The Ref must have thought that a try was imminent, that is a view which I thought was too optimistic.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Bennett had his arms held by 2 Uni guys while another whacked him. That is why he used his head (or not used his head looking at it another way). I saw Bennett cop the elbows to the head however don't condone the rest.
The Ref must have thought that a try was imminent, that is a view which I thought was too optimistic.

Thanks MACCA, that's about what I thought I saw as well.
I thought a penalty try could only be awarded if the ref believe a try would probably have been scored if the illegality had not taken place. I can't see how the elbowing (regardless of who started it) or the subsequent head butt (which occurred after the ref had awarded a penalty to Uni) could have been deemed to have stopped a try from being scored. To make it more strange was the fact that the ball came out of the back of the maul and Uni scored in the corner at the same time as the ref blew his whistle to award the penalty. I'd suggest it was a case of justice being done even if it wasn't within the laws!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One of the second rowers for Uni was doing alot of after the ball stuff from the start of the game. He tried it out on a few without a bite in the first half.
From where I sat, It seems he got a decent bite when he got hold of Bennett. That is what seemed to start the rest of the melee. Like I said earlier, if there was one card there should have been two.
Penalty try was a very soft option by the ref but I am not privy to the touch judges reports.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Terence Hepetema and Richard Aho under consideration for the Tahs bench v Force on Sunday.

Congratulations both players for receiving the recognition!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
How are we shaping up for this Saturday? Gordon have not been too far off and will be desperate to knock us off at home. Any insights?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
How are we shaping up for this Saturday? Gordon have not been too far off and will be desperate to knock us off at home. Any insights?

MACCA, Gordon certainly didn't look far off the pace against Easts on Saturday, especially in the first half. I think we need to wait to see what team the Wicks are able to come up with as there were a few injuries going into the Uni game and Hepetema and Aho may be required for the Waratahs again.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Heaps of changes to the team announced for this Saturday as a result of injuries, call up to the Waratahs (I assume) and Beale to the Wobblies:

forwards
Tristan Goodbody makes his run on debut to replace Aho in the front row
Munro moves from 8 to lock to replace Vatadroka (to seconds)
Connor back from injury to replace Johnson at 7
Paila replacing Munro at 8
backs
Horwitz to 10 (his favoured position?) to replace Matehaere
Ford and Koteczky centres replacing Horwitz and Hepetema
Callum Fryer (ex Uni) makes his run on debut on the wing to replace Ford
Browne to FB to replace Beale

So 6 player changes and a few positional changes as well.
Only 6 players in the same positions as last game!

Back to the drawing board ???

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Heaps of changes to the team announced for this Saturday as a result of injuries, call up to the Waratahs (I assume) and Beale to the Wobblies:

forwards
Tristan Goodbody makes his run on debut to replace Aho in the front row
Munro moves from 8 to lock to replace Vatadroka (to seconds)
Connor back from injury to replace Johnson at 7
Paila replacing Munro at 8
backs
Horwitz to 10 (his favoured position?) to replace Matehaere
Ford and Koteczky centres replacing Horwitz and Hepetema
Callum Fryer (ex Uni) makes his run on debut on the wing to replace Ford
Browne to FB to replace Beale

So 6 player changes and a few positional changes as well.
Only 6 players in the same positions as last game!

Back to the drawing board ???
Aho is a forced change as he is with the Tahs ( or so I heard)
Munro over Vatadroka - that is a selected change
Connor back from injury
Paila in due to Munro at 5
Mateheare out injured(?)
Horwitz at 10, Hepetema with Tahs(?)
Kotecsky another forced change
Fryer in for Ford is a forced change
Brown in, another forced change
I guess my point is that most of these are forced changes, possibly except for Munro.
Fryer is very good from what I can glean.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Aho is a forced change as he is with the Tahs ( or so I heard)
Munro over Vatadroka - that is a selected change
Connor back from injury
Paila in due to Munro at 5
Mateheare out injured(?)
Horwitz at 10, Hepetema with Tahs(?)
Kotecsky another forced change
Fryer in for Ford is a forced change
Brown in, another forced change
I guess my point is that most of these are forced changes, possibly except for Munro.
Fryer is very good from what I can glean.

MACCA, I agree about the forced changes , but big disruption to the combinations especially in the backline with everyone other than one winger and the half either new or playing in a different position to last game. I'll be very interested to see how Horwitz goes at 10; haven't seen him play there in senior rugby before. I don't remember Matehaere getting injured v Uni, thought maybe he'd been called up to the Tahs also???
I don't like Ford in the centres, too panicky for mine, but Fryer is definitely a prospect, goes hard all the time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any word on Brogan Roods return to Myrtle Green?

IIRC he was out with an ankle isse in the Pre-season.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Any word on Brogan Roods return to Myrtle Green?

IIRC he was out with an ankle isse in the Pre-season.

He was named as a fresh reserve in 2nd grade a few weeks ago but didn't make an appearance so I can only assume he's had a set back in his recovery.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
He was named as a fresh reserve in 2nd grade a few weeks ago but didn't make an appearance so I can only assume he's had a set back in his recovery.
Roods has done his groin, Fryer should be called "Flyer" - that boy can run. He was in 2nds at Uni earlier in the year.
Am concerned about the defence of the centres this week although Kingston ran right over Horwitz last week so maybe its a better having him closer to cover

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
How many have you off the paddock ATM Coach? At Uni the other day it looked like 20 plus sitting in the stands etc? Who is coming back soon and who is long term?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Chatswood oval was the scene of some spectacular play this saturday.
Wicks won a scrappy fourth grade 38 - 15 .
Gordon out enthused in a scrappy Third grade win 36-17. A note to the wicks coach would include 'anyone making a break should look to pass straight after'.
So far Gordon had conned Wicks into scrappy play and if this was to continue through the upper grades then results would not be good.
Thankfully, second grade stayed on their training manual and led 38-7 at halftime. The 7 for Gordon came from an intercept which if not taken was a try in the other direction.
After the half, another intercept had Gordon at - 14. I think the end result was 67 - 33 as Gordon fought all the way but were never really in the hunt.
The seven and two for Wicks were good and the colts 8 went on near the end for a taste of second grade and certainly looked at home.
First Grade
Having watched the Easts -Gordon game where the Gordon 7 had a blinder and the pack hasseled all day, it was pleasing to see Wicks spread the ball early for a try to 13 (i think )after a good pass by 10. Shortly after Wicks went in again off the back of a scrum in a soft try.
The Wicks backs were very up tempo and playing at pace which seemed to get to Gordon . Gordon fought back hard but as they applied pressure they lost the ball and Wicks capitalised on the turnover for a length of the field try.
Wicks were very good in defence, hitting hard and frustrating Gordon.
A great interchange between winger and prop almost gave Wicks another before the hooker tiptoed ,dogded,stopped,proped and scored to have the score at 28-0 at half time. The Wicks halfback was doing a great job in cover defence and stopped many a Gordon breakout.
The second half saw both teams spend 10 minutes softening each other up and there were bodies lying down everywhere, with Gordon hard on attack. Two phases and they scored 28-7 . Gordon had their tails up but kept letting the Wicks off the hook with spilt ball. After some prolonged pressure the Wicks 10 showed very good footwork to score under the posts.
Gordon replied with a try near the posts after a great take and run from their 2. Sore 35-14.
The final score was 49- 21 to the Wicks .
IMO the 6,7 and 8 were outstanding for wicks, 10 and 13 were also very good. For Gordon the 4 and 5 were always in the thick of it and the 10 marshalled as well as he could as he was hounded by the Wicks back three.
I would hope that the Coach is well pleased.

It was good to see a respectable crowd at the oval and Gordon are certainly looking like they are on the ' up' and playing with passion.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good report Sid, no doubt Gordon missed Gordon Broome at 7 (surely he couldn't play for anyone else with that first name!), he was probably the best on park v Easts last week in a losing team.
Not sure I agree with your comment about the crowd size.
I thought most of the supporters seemed to be backing the Wicks with very muted support for Gordon apart from the lower graders / Colts (?) group at the end of the ground. Even the sponsors' tent at the other end of the ground seemed disinterested.
Great passion from Gibbo during the 4s though!!!
It was also great to get an opportunity to see the Colts in action and full marks to Gordon for putting the Wicks off their game plan.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see Gordon have lifted their game with the food options.
Last time I was at Chatswood (2 years ago?) the sausage sandwiches were over priced and measley but great options this time: various excellent pies, hamburgers, etc.
Well done guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.