• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Genia Weighs In On Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Will Genia has made further comments regarding Quade Cooper.

'I love playing with Quade. I don't feel as comfortable as I do with him.'

'I'm more comfortable playing next to Quade'

'We've got a long relationship. We've played together for a long time. I really enjoy that combination.'

'More than anything, it is a trust thing. In whatever decision each makes we back and support each other.'

Genia doesn't actually talk about selections for the Wallabies but should players be voicing their opinions on other players and should Robbie Deans take any notice of what one of his key players think?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
the lions are gunna have multiple games together before the first test>
for this reason alone i think the reds inside back combination has gotta start>genia, cooper, tapuai
we will beat the lions playing to our strengths and exposing their lack of playing time together> ie. nz 4 years ago> fast, attacking rugby-
if we play slow defense, its exactly what they want
and deans sure as hell should be listening to genia> hes our main man now> give him what he needs to be comfortable and we'll see the benefits

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Genia is never going to say anything but positive things about his Red's partner, and so he can do no harm by sticking up for Copper at this time.

Deans will not give a damn as I'm sure McCabe/Lealifano would speak quite positively about To'omua etc.

Players are seldom impartial in such matters. I have no doubt that Genia would feel more comfortable with Cooper at 10, but that's not the issue. What is best for the Wallabies? Deans gets to decide that, unfortunately. However, I believe that Cooper is the best man to take on the Lions with an aggressive attacking game; that is what the Lions fear. Only Bowe is a truly good defender on the outside, they rest are vulnerable. The Lions certainly don't fear McCabe playing cement ball - the Lions win a battle of cement ball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tapuai? Have you actually been watching? Even in combination with the other two he's well below his best.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id agree tapuai is below his best> but players who play together week in week out have an unspoken understanding on the field> they can look at each other and know whats going on>> this allows them to play flatter and anticipate the play
this will give us a huge advantage against a team only recently put together
look back through history and the best players at test level in the backs often have a 'partner' from their provincial team
ask larkham and gregan, ask nonu and smith- genia and cooper
lilos the man i want to play 12- but for the first test an inside back combination like the reds have got would surely do damage to a defensive line not used to playing together>

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Tapuai is fine. But he has been well contained. I'd go for lealiifano personally but not because someone thinks taps is out of form.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
As subtext, we need to remember that there were numerous Reds players that thought Quade was not well handled/treated by Deans in both RWC 2011 and via their Wallaby-related interactions last year. There were also Reds players that did not think Quade's 'toxic' outbursts were totally wrong, just naive and ill-considered in their public expression.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Will Genia has made further comments regarding Quade Cooper.

Genia doesn't actually talk about selections for the Wallabies but should players be voicing their opinions on other players and should Robbie Deans take any notice of what one of his key players think?
No they shouldn't be expressing their views.
Yes RD should consider the views of key players up to a point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I was Robbie Deans, all this would be doing is making me annoyed at Genia. He's clearly trying to promote his buddy for selection. It's pretty transparent.

I don't really hold much faith in picking combinations. You should pick who you think are your best players. The Wallabies play almost as many games together each year as a Super Rugby side. It's rare that the best players that form combinations on the field (9 & 10, 12 & 13, 11,14,15 etc.) will be playing together in Super Rugby. We should be working to build combinations for the Wallabies that can develop over time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't particularly have any drama's with what Genia has said. I assume he would've been asked a question by a journo to give a quote like that so what's he supposed to say? No comment? Of course he will give the answer that he did.
If the reporter wanted to write an article that meant something as opposed to one designed simply to get a reaction, and wanted to actually know who else Genia would want to play with he could've asked him if couldn't play with Cooper at 5/8 who else would he like to see outside him?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah don't buy into combinations, have a look at the ABs backline last year

9. Smith (Highlanders)
10. Carter (Crusaders)
12. Nonu (Blues) / SBW (Chiefs)
13. Smith (Hurricanes)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
If I was Robbie Deans, all this would be doing is making me annoyed at Genia. He's clearly trying to promote his buddy for selection. It's pretty transparent.

I don't really hold much faith in picking combinations. You should pick who you think are your best players. The Wallabies play almost as many games together each year as a Super Rugby side. It's rare that the best players that form combinations on the field (9 & 10, 12 & 13, 11,14,15 etc.) will
be playing together in Super Rugby. We should be working to build combinations for the Wallabies that can develop over time.

As a side point, it just maybe the case that Genia is mindful of a dimension of the pre-BIL Wallaby process that has not received much comment, but should. Genia is a very smart player and generally speaks of issues that concern him in a frank manner.

Remarkably, there are no Wallaby trial games of any kind pre June 22 Test 1. This always totally amazed me, as attempting to design, test and refine new or altered (say) backs combinations - e.g. Genia 9 and JO'C 10 - via squad training alone vs mock internal opposition teams solely from the Wallaby squad is a vastly inferior substtitute for an actual game or two vs a genuine opposition motivated to have a crack.

Whereas the Lions will have numerous full and no doubt fired-up games in front of good crowds vs our S15 teams in order to test out and refine their new combinations.

Given that there is now intense speculation that Deans will choose the likes of Folau to start and place JO'C at 10, to have no genuine contests via which to assess how all this will execute under a bit of game pressure seems extraordinary.

The other way of looking at this is of course to perhaps predict that the total lack of any Wallaby trial games pre Test 1 will eventually incentivise Deans to make very conservative selections for combinations for Test 1, and thus, with considerable risk, Test 1 becomes the first 'trial game' for any comparatively small amounts of innovation in that first Wallaby squad.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The 9-10 pair is the only one where i think combinations and familiarity are particularly useful. Picking a 12 or front row based on combinations is likely going to see a weaker side on the park if you look at the players who are in form in those spots.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I'm sure we've covered this before, but every half pairing when asked on this question says the same thing Will has said.

Below are two quotes, I'll remove the players names and then update it after.

"He understands my game very well and I understand his game very well, but I think that has come about from the amount of time we have spent at training and the amount of time we have played together. I think we have both been good for one another's game. He seems to deliver the ball exactly how I want it delivered and he has a good understanding of where I normally am. That probably helps us play better."

X said he'd love to play for his country alongside Y and Z.

''It does help having a combination with your state and I know I'd feel a lot more comfortable making a debut with Y outside me,'' he said.

''I know Y would feel very comfortable there knowing inside and outside him there are blokes he's played with before.''

The first quote is from Larkham's reply on his pairing with George back in 2007 when Gregs was under pressure to hold his spot down - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y-remarkable-run/story-e6frg7mf-1111113887449

The second quote is Nick White (X) talking about Lealilfano (Y) and McCabe (Z) - http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...bies-charge-20130114-2cq28.html#ixzz2Q9Vwm9cl

The arrangement of the words may be different, but they're all saying the same crap. They like playing with people they train and play with 30-40 odd weeks a year. There's nothing in Genia's words to put any pressure on Deans.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My view is that the comments by Genia depend on context. Was he asked the question by a journalist? If so, then the answer is blindingly obvious and you can't hold anything against Genia. If Genia volunteered the comments then some criticism may be deserved. Either way, I don't think it will have any impact on the selection decisions.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Part of being good enough to be selected for a rep side is the ability to slip into new systems and plays that comes with playing in a new team. If the player is good enough, and Genia is without doubt good enough, then he should be able to play along side pretty much anyone. If Cooper plays alright without Genia, and really well with him, but another fly-half (To'omua, O'Conner, Lealiifano etc) is playing even better more consistently, then you would want to take the best player regardless of who is inside/outside.

If you look at the other way, and say To'omua is the form flyhalf, but to keep him playing his best and be most comfortable, we have to start Nic White over Genia. It probably wouldn't happen.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
No man I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you.

I played 13 right next to one of my best friends at 12 for about 4 years and you develop an organic connection playing alongside someone for that long and building that trust. I'm not worried about throwing a behind the back flick pass and stuff like that because I know that he knows it's coming and will be there for it.

Combinations are extremely important. Genia and Cooper have a nearly psychic connection.

Genia is the best scrummy in Australia and Cooper is in a tie for best 10. They also regularly alternate their playing system at the Reds and are generally effective. Perhaps the plan is just shit sometimes under certain coaches.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nelse and USARugger I think you both make valid points.

Yes a good player should be a good player in their own right and not dependant on playing inside/outside their preferred combination. BUT just because a player plays their best inside or outside a certain person, doesn't make them a not-so-good player either.

If the two best players, also have an established combination then that's just gravy!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's nothing to say that having Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and giving them a chance to establish a strong partnership with Genia won't create a better combination.

No one is trying to argue that if we pick someone other than Cooper at 10 then we shouldn't pick Genia at 9 and pick that person's regular halfback instead.

The best players generally end up forming excellent combinations together because they instintively put themselves in the best position when they're supporting each other and likewise will look for the support player where he ideally should be when they're looking to find their support.

They will also spot opportunities when they arise and both be looking to shift play in that direction. If the halfback notices that there is an opportunity to the left you'll hope that the flyhalf is also moving in that direction to take advantage of the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.