• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

George Smith to sign with Australian Super Rugby team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
His great cover and that's what larkham said he is ATM with Mowen saying he couldn't see a player of that class not forcing his way in welcome back geroge..

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I disagree, one player can make a big difference. I'd say the example of Stirling Mortlock works here, the Rebs clearly lifted when he was on the park, and the response to his intercept try by the other players clearly showed how much he meant to the team.
Considering he had been injured most of the season and the context of the match, the response was expected.

Stirlo, Huxley and others were great seasons 1 and a bit into 2, establishing the foundation of the club.

The responsibility of furthering it, belongs to Weeks, Pyle, Phipps, Delve and others.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If you can't see the value of this signing in the context of what Jake White is doing you are really not paying attention.

You might even be a Muppet.;)

God. George Smith. One of the most clever rugby players the world has ever seen. A true pro and not totally broken and on one leg like Mortlock was as the older statesman at the Rebs. He was going great guns at Toulon a year ago and there's no way they would sign him if he was carrying injuries.

The Brums lacked experience at the pointy end of the season so what does Jake do? He gets it in the form of a guy who knows a bit about winning.

It's a clever string to the bow and will do a lot off the field in training, general guidance for the younger players, and an almighty lot of pressure on the loosies in the match 22 to lift their shit.

If I was a young gun training in Canberra , already surrounded by Larkham and Gregan as coaches and shit now there's G Smith running next to me I will gain confidence. These are people who know a bit about a winning culture.

I stand corrected. You definitely are a muppet if you don't get it. :)

D

daz

One player doesn't lift the squad, ala Izzy Folau.

kronic, that is a bit of a silly statement and I think you know that. I would take George at the rebels, every day of the week and 100 times on game day. What he can pass on to the squad about this game at Super Rugby level alone is priceless.

baa-baa makes a good point about Stirlo, but let's put that situation on, oh, I dunno, Delve? If there is one bloke in all Super Rugby teams in Oz who lifts his team, it is Gareth Delve at the Rebels.

Genia out of the Reds? Not great, but they can survive. Mowen/Pocock out of the Brumbies? Same. Take Delve out of the Rebels right now, and watch them tumble. Tell me I'm wrong.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Like many of the S15 players.

Nothwithstanding, a player with GS's profile in the Ponies franchise, especially if they are affiliated with a club/area/school earmarked for strategic development of Heavensgame, can have massise short and long term benefits for that club/zone/school if effectively marketed.

Those marketing and development opportunities should be centrally controlled and deployed in accordance with a prioritised need for maximum effectiveness, rather than going to the highest bidder (rich clubs in rugby heartland).

In the past, the Ponies have shown a propensity not to follow mistakes made in Tahland.

That is one of the contributing factors to their success and why they have more Premierships than the Tahs.

Hugh, Smith has connections all over Canberra, so I doubt he'll have to affiliate/play for a club to maximise impact on the next generations of players. He'll do his thing, which means visiting a few clubs, probably fit in some speaking events, hang out at the Canberra Centre, eat at Cream and catch up with mates.

P

Paradox

Deans will want Pocock wrapped up in cotton wool this year. He must not be broken for the Lions. There is more behind this than just filling in for Ita V. Expect to see C Fainga'a start with Smith on bench for 3 games I reckon. Furthermore, Smith could play the against Lions for the Brumbies :)

T

Train Without a Station

Bit of a shame when even with Vaea out the Bumbies still can't get all of their highly rated loosies on the park, but as a huge fan it will be awesome to watching him again. Looking forward to him pushing Pocock to the pine. This is Super Rugby, not Mr Olympia.

T

Train Without a Station

Is it me or does it look as if Pocock has slimmed down this season?

Possibly. He still looks far too, and I say this as a fellow gym and bodybuilding enthusiast who would have a similar BMI, bulky.

P

Paradox

Mowen was 117 at the Tahs and has dropped to 110 at the Brumbies. I don't think Jake likes to much bulk.

P

Paradox

Jake White the WC winning coach of the Boks in 2007 doesn't like bulk? He put Vaea at 7 over Hooper.
I was more suggesting that Jake might prefer someone who is mobile at 110 kg compared to what they are like at 117 kg. Hooper Vs Vaea is irrelevant as they aren't the same person ;)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Stoked. This is what Rugby is about. Any chance to watch G Smith go round in Aus Rugby again must be taken.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Welcome back Brumby number 52

Not over the top but handy with Ita Vaea injured.

Was sceptical earlier today as Salvi's return was not as successful second time round.

Hoping to see George in the 22 replacing Colby especially in a fortnight against Tahs.

Agree that Deans will want Pocock in cotton wool whenever he can.

Even with rust George should still be good player not great.

John I Dent get a stalwart. Have him as a direct replacement for Vaea. Royals is it.

Manly will be pissed as George was always back at Manly when he could.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Are you taking the mickey?

So you'd start him ahead of Australia's best flanker, after he's been playing some half cocked rugby in the NH? Where he's played all different positions and his role has changed significantly since leaving OZ. He's basically a 6.5 that predominantly plays a link man role. He's still got plenty of skill but nowhere the intensity and accuracy that Pocock has now. Play him side on the other side or at 8 would work.

No mickey. He was australias best flanker when dean's started Poey over him, I won't be shocked if he still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.