• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau on Du Preez

Appropriate penalty for Giteau

• Yellow was too harsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should have been cited but no penalty for first offence

• 1 week suspension

• 2 week suspension

• 3 week suspension

• 4 week suspension

• 5+ week suspension

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Saffas I've been chatting to are pretty pissed off that Giteau didn't get cited.

Poll attached

Wallaby flyhalf Matt Giteau should at least have been called into a disciplinary hearing for his horror tackle on Springbok scrumhalf Fourie du Preez, says SA Rugby referees boss Andre Watson.

Surprisingly, Giteau was on Saturday not cited for the incident. Du Preez was waiting to field an up-and-under from the Wallabies when Giteau clattered into him well before the ball had reached the Bok No 9.

Giteau received a yellow card from Irish referee Alain Rolland for the incident, but was not cited by New Zealand match commissioner David Gray.

Watson told the Cape Times yesterday that the incident may not have been worthy of a red card, but said that Giteau should have been called to a disciplinary hearing.

"It looks bad, but it was Giteau's arm leading the way," said Watson. "I don't think it should be upgraded to a red card. Giteau's arm was out and he caught Fourie, who got hurt in the incident.

"But having said that, I can't understand why Giteau has not been called in for a disciplinary hearing. Then the judicial officer can look at the evidence and decide what action to take, if any. If Giteau is found not guilty in a hearing, then it's fine. But he should at least have faced a hearing."

Giteau can feel extremely lucky to have escaped without any further punishment, as his challenge on Du Preez appeared to be reckless and much more dangerous than the recent incident that saw Springbok lock Bakkies Botha suspended for two weeks after he cleaned out British and Irish Lions prop Adam Jones at a ruck during the second Test at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=2200&art_id=nw20090809205249847C271203

T

The Amazing Tah-Man

I remember Gregan getting off lightly for a citable offence because of his exemplary record prior to the incident. I think this is applicable for Giteau, but certainly not for Botha.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I agree, his good record should come into play at the hearing, and I believe a first offence warning would have been appropriate....

The incident however should be looked at in isolation from the players record to determine if it's a citable offence, and I thought this incident was a citable offence.

Then again I thought when Bakkies came in the side of a ruck with a flying headbutt to Mortlock's shoulder and Stirling was out for three weeks that was also a citable offence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was shocked at what Giteau did - it looked like Bakkies Botha stuff. Agree with Watson that he should have fronted a disciplinary hearing - at the very least. The fact that he has a squeaky clean record (IIRR) should not have come into it.

I reckon he should have been suspended at such a hearing also.

We would moan and groan if a South African did that and got away scot free and no doubt the SAffer journos are pointing their fingers at us and writing things like: "And they reckon we are the dirty players."

Sure they are far ahead of us in unsavoury incidents during the professional era - but we took an unwanted step forward at Newlands.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Cutter said:
I agree completely LG. 1 week would have been enough though.

People have got one or more weeks for accidental contact with the head or face at a ruck.

This was a head high scud missile hit without any attempt to go for the ball.

The biggest let off sine I can remember.

My first impression was that it was simply bad judgement. On watching the match a second tiem I thought it looked a lot more deliberate, which I would not associate wiht him but everyone is prone to losing their marbles once in a while.

But let's leave it at that.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
We should have some video up later today, and I agree that it was a brain fart from Giteau.

One thing you don't really notice until it's slowed right down is this frame, this is before he's sent off and Giteau to me looks to be genuinely concerned for Du Preez.

Attachments

• gits.jpg
    gits.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 146

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Moses said:
We should have some video up later today, and I agree that it was a brain fart from Giteau.

One thing you don't really notice until it's slowed right down is this frame, this is before he's sent off and Giteau to me looks to be genuinely concerned for Du Preez.

Surely that's irrelevant.

PS I don't want to sound like a whining Saffer. The inconsistency is driving me batty.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Without doubt Giteau should have been fronting the judiciary. It doesn't make any sense why he wasn't cited, and it doesn't make any sense why he did it in the first place.

It looked like Giteau completely lost his bearings, like he suddenly had some dizzy spell or something. It was very strange, but ultimately dangerous for Du Preez.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Blue said:
It is when looking at the act and deciding if it should be cited.

It does go some way to maintaining Giteau's nice guy image though, and to me shows an immediate remorse before he realised he was in trouble for it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Moses said:
Blue said:

It does go some way to maintaining Giteau's nice guy image though, and to me shows an immediate remorse before he realised he was in trouble for it.

People will tell you that Schalk Burger off the field in one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and they are not just Saffers.

So see, it is irrelevant whether he is a nice guy or not.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Moses said:
Blue said:

People will tell you that Schalk Burger off the field in one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and they are not just Saffers.

So see, it is irrelevant whether he is a nice guy or not.
Moses thanks for the clipse, love the comments putted in. :lmao: Schalk got citied and 2 weeks in the WC tournament for the same thing. Bliksem but the Wallabies look a bit clueless in those yellows and the Aus commentary even worse.

Hope Ash watch this 100 times before commenting prematch about dirty Japies/Saffers and cheating refs in future.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Moses said:

Sorry but how in fucks name is that not a suspension? A few yards out he looks up at the ball. Then he looks down, takes another three or four strides and never looks up again but STILL JUMPS. No intention to go for the ball five yards away. Head high contact ensues.

What more do you need? People have been handed weeks for less dangerous challenges.

And the fact that he apologises to Fourie on the field is not mitigating in any way. Nice touch yadda yadda.

I cannot recall a single incident in an international where a player was more lucky to get off so light.

The citing process and judiciary is a total abomination.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I cannot recall a single incident in an international where a player was more lucky to get off so light.

Big call.

Botha taking out Morlock for three weeks with a seemingly intentional shoulder to the head is high up there.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Blue said:
Bakkies Botha, 2008, Perth. His flying shoulder charge into the side of a ruck concussed Mortlock. Not cited, but Mortlock missed 1.5 games.
Bakkies Botha 2003, Brisbane. Took a bite out of Brendan Cannon's shoulder. Not cited for the bite, but cited for an eye gouge in same game and got 8 weeks.

Blue said:
The citing process and judiciary is a total abomination.
I totally agree. Surely with this new thing called video they could have a consistant citing panel who review each game...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
PaarlBok said:
Hope Ash watch this 100 times before commenting prematch about dirty Japies/Saffers and cheating refs in future.

Er, sure...ok....

Er, what? Where'd that come from?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
PaarlBok said:
Ash said:
PaarlBok said:

Er, sure...ok....

Sorry Boet Naza is the man. :nta: :huxley

I saw it. Yellow was sufficient penalty. Giteau is the size of Bakkies' left leg. He couldn't hurt anybody if he tried.

And I have a whole lot less respect for Fourie Du Preez who is making a habit of hollywooding and milking penalties.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
naza said:
PaarlBok said:
Ash said:
PaarlBok said:

Er, sure...ok....

Sorry Boet Naza is the man. :nta: :huxley

I saw it. Yellow was sufficient penalty. Giteau is the size of Bakkies' left leg. He couldn't hurt anybody if he tried.

And I have a whole lot less respect for Fourie Du Preez who is making a habit of hollywooding and milking penalties.
So you obvious did not thnkSchalk Burger deserved a citing and ban in the WC tournament against Samoa?

Status
Not open for further replies.