• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^^^^ they're only broke if NZR play hardball on the loan & I doubt they'd drive a member Union into liquidation.

Southland's problems started with them over-reaching in trying to be a Premiership team which clearly they're not. With a reduced salary budget & some NZR help on the financial & recruitment fronts I think they're a good fit for WSR & could potentially benefit the Highlanders, too.

It simply is not logical, Invercargill. it just doesn't have the population to warrant it. What audience or value would they bring with them. They have a proud tradition in NZ. But sorry this is entirely different.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Have you ever watched a Bloos game at Albany? Or a Clan game in Invercagill? Aucks are notorious for not getting out to support anything even if they're winning. Southlanders on the other hand will get right behind it - even on a 19-game losing streak the Stags are still pulling decent crowds. Harbour, potentially a week away from finals footy, continue to draw the proverbial two men & a dog. It's just how things work here.

Whilst North Harbour don't get great crowds I find this to be a bullshit generalisation. Blues crowds have actually been decent considering how shit they have been for almost all of the last decade. For one, Blues crowds at Albany aren't that bad and would be better than Clan crowds at Invercargill. If it's a nice day this Sunday I'd imagine Auckland v North Harbour should fetch a healthy crowd at Eden Park.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Snippets:
Is a month-long detente between billionaire rugby union fan Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest and Raelene Castle’s Rugby Australia, the code’s governing body, unravelling already?​
The expansion of Forrest’s World Series competition planned for next year is due to be ticked off by the World Rugby Executive Committee next month.​
"Detente" was an apt description. It was only ever an easing of hostility. Rugby Australia and the World Series Rugby "rebel" league are waging a cold war. The hate is still there on all sides, but they posed for a smiling photo while Gosper and co were in town.
.… The plan has always been to start with a team in Sydney’s west and several big-money types are waiting in the wings for sign-off from Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.​
Despite backing next year’s expansion, support for the new team has (still) not been forthcoming.​
With kick-off scheduled for late February, time is running out to make arrangements.​
And that’s exactly what Rugby Australia is concerned about.​
Sad to say, but I've already written off a Western Sydney team, Hoggy. RA and NSW don't want it, never wanted it. Never will.

The last line in the snippet above is great! Time running short is exactly what Rugby Australia wants to see.

But I've been posting that all year. We move on. :)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Snippets:
Is a month-long detente between billionaire rugby union fan Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest and Raelene Castle’s Rugby Australia, the code’s governing body, unravelling already?​
The expansion of Forrest’s World Series competition planned for next year is due to be ticked off by the World Rugby Executive Committee next month.​
"Detente" was an apt description. It was only ever an easing of hostility. Rugby Australia and the World Series Rugby "rebel" league are waging a cold war. The hate is still there on all sides, but they posed for a smiling photo while Gosper and co were in town.
. The plan has always been to start with a team in Sydney’s west and several big-money types are waiting in the wings for sign-off from Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.​
Despite backing next year’s expansion, support for the new team has (still) not been forthcoming.​
With kick-off scheduled for late February, time is running out to make arrangements.​
Sad to say, but I have already written off a Western Sydney team, Hoggy. RA and NSW don't want it, never wanted it. Never will.

The last line in the snippet above is great! Time running short is exactly what Rugby Australia wants.

Which really fucks with my brain. Western Sydney is the biggest sporting market in Australia bar perhaps Melbourne, and we don't even have a fucking shute shield team. Why the hell wouldn't they support twiggy expanding into it?

God damn pack of fucking idiots.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Which really fucks with my brain. Western Sydney is the biggest sporting market in Australia bar perhaps Melbourne, and we don't even have a fucking shute shield team. Why the hell wouldn't they support twiggy expanding into it?

God damn pack of fucking idiots.

Maybe its a little to close to home, you put a team in WS and all of a sudden you are playing in the same ball park as RA.

They signed of on this thing as long as it didn't affect them. The only thing RA are concerned about are the Wallabies.

What twiggy needs to do is get some more private money involved, he can't do it all himself and they know it, but you introduce 1/2 more big investors and the whole f____g house of cards will fall.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe its a little to close to home, you put a team in WS and all of a sudden you are playing in the same ball park as RA.

They signed of on this thing as long as it didn't affect them. The only thing RA are concerned about are the Wallabies.

What twiggy needs to do is get some more private money involved, he can't do it all himself and they know it, but you introduce 1/2 more big investors and the whole f____g house of cards will fall.

One of the earliest stated goals of the competition was to look to attract Australian players back to our shores. May be I'm missing something but wouldn't adding more depth to the player pool be beneficial to the Wallabies?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Snippets:
.… The plan has always been to start with a team in Sydney’s west and several big-money types are waiting in the wings for sign-off from Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.​
Sad to say, but I've already written off a Western Sydney team, Hoggy. RA and NSW don't want it, never wanted it. Never will.

The last line in the snippet above is great! Time running short is exactly what Rugby Australia wants to see.

I believe it's still there on one side, but is there hate from RA to Twiggy and his cohorts?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Snippets:

We essentially know this is going to be signed off by WR (World Rugby). They should look at putting the necessary pieces in place regardless of the current situation here. Forrest has a direct line to WR (World Rugby) via his dealing with Pichot and once signed could look to have WR (World Rugby) put pressure on RA to play ball.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We essentially know this is going to be signed off by WR (World Rugby). They should look at putting the necessary pieces in place regardless of the current situation here. Forrest has a direct line to WR (World Rugby) via his dealing with Pichot and once signed could look to have WR (World Rugby) put pressure on RA to play ball.
Pichot's conflicted himself out of all dealings with WSR hasn't he?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RA is worried about the Super Rugby teams, not the Wallabies

If RA haven't been concerned with the performance of the Super Rugby sides both on and off the pitch for the past few seasons then we're in even deeper shit than many of us assume. Part of why I like the idea of a WS team competing in the same space (I'm talking Rugby) is that it would hopefully force the NSWRU and RA to start looking to operate Super Rugby as they always should. As a commercial entity and not a glorified trial system.

There would be ways to mitigate and potential impact in my opinion. Limiting where they can source talent would be one. Look to hold them to the returning player statement for one or if they wish to draw from the current pool of talent have them partner with WS clubs to set up pathways.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There would be ways to mitigate and potential impact in my opinion. Limiting where they can source talent would be one. Look to hold them to the returning player statement for one or if they wish to draw from the current pool of talent have them partner with WS clubs to set up pathways.
Isn't this the sticking point? RA want to limit where the players are sourced from, and limit eligibility of players not in Australia, and WSR don't want these limits

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I believe it's still there on one side, but is there hate from RA to Twiggy and his cohorts?
You're right, calm disdain is best to describe Rugby Australia.

Although I think they hate what WSR is about.

They will resist change – regardless of whether it boosts the game in places such as Western Sydney – wherever they perceive some loss of control.

It will take yet more hits to RA - in the direction of sending the game bust - before they'll deign to look at a plan B. I think we'll see those hits coming within a few years, although by then their alternatives might have shrunk or gone.

World Rugby are interested in WSR as it applies to the Asia Pacific so, yes, it should get the sign off in a month or so.

However, they're not interested in micromanaging what happens within Australia. Brett Robinson has already heatedly confronted Pichot over WSR even though Pichot is not involved with it and the competition doesn't yet exist - details such as whether Western Sydney is allowed to raise cash to enter a team will be left to RA. The only real pressure on RA in that regard will have to come from within Australia.

But the pressure on RA generally will increase while their downward trajectory keeps on going.

And by RA I mean NSW and Qld. Melbourne will be expendable.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^

Mining magnate Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest's World Series Rugby vision has suffered a major setback after Australia and New Zealand said they would block the rebel league in western Sydney and across the Tasman until after 2020.

With the format of Super Rugby and the international Test schedule both up in the air, it is understood Rugby Australia (RA) and New Zealand Rugby (NZR) have told Forrest they will not support his bid to put teams in western Sydney and New Zealand until after both are resolved.

With the new Super Rugby agreement to start in 2021 and the global calendar on a similar time frame, the news means that apart from the Western Force, World Series Rugby will not have any Australian or New Zealand teams until then at the very earliest.