• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gold Coast 7's - 12 & 13 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
More meat for the NZL team. 26 - 12.

A bridge too far. 4:28 minutes left.

Playing for pride now.

Webber (NZL) gets meat. 33 - 12 to NZL.

And they are doing it without Mickkelson and Forbes. 01:42 minutes left.

A better overall start for our boy's. The commentary stated that they had an 8 week training bloc leading into the series which goes to show we need to get these guys training together as a squad full time. Our 6th professional outfit if you will. We need to find 20 or so guys and make their job to just play 7s.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One for those who like to see athletes without shirts:

The NZL Haka.

Not a lot of body fat there.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
More than 20% of the competition points the Australians got in 2012-13. I'm expecting a top 5 finish at this rate.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
One for those who like to see athletes without shirts:

The NZL Haka.

Not a lot of body fat there.

My sister-in-law who has absolutely no inclination toward the game commented on that yesterday. She was out to lunch with my brother and a few of their friends (Hooters) and the TV's were all on the 7s with one on the ITM Cup. She and her female friends were particularly taken with the physiques of the players. She watched the entire event from around 4:30 to the end when they got there.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
send it over to WA at the new NIB just a short walk into main nightclub precinct. with the number of Kiwis overe here anything they look like doing well in pulls the crowds out.

The GC stadium is a fantastic facility but miles from anywhere. Would be at least half an hour back to Surfers on public transport.

We went last year, staying at my brother-in law's at Robina.
The public transport getting to the ground and from was pathetic.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Ed Jenkins is a beast.

Was impressed with Walker, Malouf and McMahon throughout the tournment.

Yep, Ed Jenkins got awarded player of the Series, and I couldn't agree more; he kept the boys in gold on the winning path.

His profile in the interview on Foxtel before the final against the darkness showed a very battered image, especially when compared to his normal not a hair out of place image

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
First time as a 7's tournament and definitely wont be my last. The atmosphere (even having consideration to the small crowd) and standard of play was superb. The Kenyan supporters definitely get the award for the most enthusiastic. The Robina facility is excellent and a perfect size for a tournament of this type, however its location lets it down badly. $45 cab ride from Surfers after finding it very difficult to work out the bus system. Absolutely nothing around the stadium like Suncorp which diminishes the atmosphere. Ticket prices were fairly expensive, $258 for a 2 day family pass in reserved seating, add in a XXXX gold for $7.20 and wine for $9.20 makes for a very expensive weekend. I'm not sure about holding it at Suncorp with a capacity of 52,000. Those seats looking into the sun in the eastern stand would be very empty in the afternoon. AAMI stadium in Melbourne might be the right choice.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I went out for the finals yesterday. Wish I had gone out on Saturday too, it was a good fun day. A bit rusty on the wake-up this morning. The Aussies did themselves proud. To put it to the NZ'ers (after their extra time semi) in the final like they did was tremendous. Being without three players (Walker- concussion, Malouf- knee and Lucas- rib cartilage) did not help any either. O'Connor is going places with this team and I hear McMahon is the only player they will lose (albeit- big loss). I was very impressed by Malouf, he is a real goer

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great result for Australia but NZ were fantastic.

Great carnival

Only thing that was absolutely terrible for Australian and NZ players was the National Anthems. There was no singer for either side and some of the Australians didn't know the song - fucking abisma;

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was there for both days. I thought it was really good. There are some issues around the location. I had corporate seats (food and drink included) but chose to drive as the transport there is a pain.

The Stadium is about 2km from Robina Town Centre, near where I parked, and it's a bit of a waste land in terms of things to do. Most people would stay at Surfers and with the debacle that is CG traffic it took over 50mins to drive from there to the ground.

Brisbane would be better but Ballymore would only work if they had bars and activities build for the weekend on the back fields and transport there is crazy. Suncorp would need at least 40K on each day for it to work. It does have all of the other requirements in place though.

Melbourne would probably be the best location as it has a good feel about it and most people I spoke to said they would be keen to fly down for a 7's weekend.

Bill Pulver spoke at the function I was at and conceded that the promotion of the tournament wasn't up to scratch. They need to start promoting 2014 today and not once all of the other things have finished. Every senior rugby club in Australia should be sent a GC7's end of season tour package, with fancy dress options attached. They need to let people know it's on.

In terms of the rugby played the Aussies did really well to make the finals. It would be great if we could follow the NZers lead and have a core of around 5 players who the team could be built around. You can see the difference a few of the older heads make when running down the clock and keeping the ball in hand.

I thought Jenkins had some outstanding moments but he makes some terrible mistakes. He needs to become more consistent, like the team. Walker looks like a better player. He took on the ball playing role at stages and that adds to his value.

I'm a big Con Foley fan and I think he's the type of guy who could be ear marked as a 7's regular.

O'Connor has a really good squad at the moment but there are a few who will move on after the season. We need to build on this and at least make the Semi's in Dubai to push for a top 4 spot.

I love the 7's and I can see some good things ahead for Australia in coming years.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Yes, Iwas very surprised to see such a small turnout on Sunday. My mates thought that there were no more than on Saturday.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I was there for both days. I thought it was really good. There are some issues around the location. I had corporate seats (food and drink included) but chose to drive as the transport there is a pain.

The Stadium is about 2km from Robina Town Centre, near where I parked, and it's a bit of a waste land in terms of things to do. Most people would stay at Surfers and with the debacle that is CG traffic it took over 50mins to drive from there to the ground.

Brisbane would be better but Ballymore would only work if they had bars and activities build for the weekend on the back fields and transport there is crazy. Suncorp would need at least 40K on each day for it to work. It does have all of the other requirements in place though.

Melbourne would probably be the best location as it has a good feel about it and most people I spoke to said they would be keen to fly down for a 7's weekend.

Bill Pulver spoke at the function I was at and conceded that the promotion of the tournament wasn't up to scratch. They need to start promoting 2014 today and not once all of the other things have finished. Every senior rugby club in Australia should be sent a GC7's end of season tour package, with fancy dress options attached. They need to let people know it's on.

In terms of the rugby played the Aussies did really well to make the finals. It would be great if we could follow the NZers lead and have a core of around 5 players who the team could be built around. You can see the difference a few of the older heads make when running down the clock and keeping the ball in hand.

I thought Jenkins had some outstanding moments but he makes some terrible mistakes. He needs to become more consistent, like the team. Walker looks like a better player. He took on the ball playing role at stages and that adds to his value.

I'm a big Con Foley fan and I think he's the type of guy who could be ear marked as a 7's regular.

O'Connor has a really good squad at the moment but there are a few who will move on after the season. We need to build on this and at least make the Semi's in Dubai to push for a top 4 spot.

I love the 7's and I can see some good things ahead for Australia in coming years.

Jets

Agree with your own and others' assessment of what a great event this is: I took my 15 year old son to the whole day yesterday and we both could not believe just how good it was in every aspect: entertainment, rugby skills on show and to a high consistent quality, atmosphere (despite c.13,000 crowd), international vibe of the best kind, quality of organisation throughout the day, a great stadium for the product, and so forth, Everyone I spoke to just loved it. I've been to many major sports events all over the world - without doubt, this one was one of the very best in its totality whilst also being a superb showcase for rugby in general.

However, the dark shadow over the whole spectacle is, as so often, the mindless and strategy-defiicent decision of the ARU to keep up their failed model of 'developing rugby (at great expense) in unproven secondary markets whilst even when the primary markets are suffering'. This failed model is often prosecuted with the distorting financial siren song of local or State government grants with parochial needs that work against the right long-term decisions being made.

As many above have rightly noted - other than when you get inside its perimeter, Skilled Park on the GC is a get-there-coveniently disaster. Parking is miles away and then there's a 10 min bus ride to get there, then after the bus there's another boring long walk through what looks like a permanent construction zone, the trip from the centre of the GC is not easy, etc. And it's far way from QLD''s rugby epicentre - Brisbane. Couple all that with really poor event marketing (see my early post on this above), and, of course, a commercial and fan-attendance-numbers disaster awaits and a truly exceptional opportunity to promote Aus and global rugby is lost over and over again.

Manifestly, the Aus 7s should be in Sydney or Brisbane, if possible rotating amongst these two cities annually. Forget every place that rugby is marginal to non-existant and is likely to remain that way if well-funded (though admittedly poorly run) S15 organisations have not been able to grow it (and the Rebels and Force have not). What we need to do is make 7s a strategic success in Australia and that will only be usefully commenced from the traditional heartlands, not Adelaide or Melbourne.

Give the tournament under contract to a crack Aus national event marketing company (ideally on some form of incentive contract linked to attendance and Fox viewership) skilled at such and remove it from the proven marketing incompetence and mediocrity within the ARU's HQ (which in any event Pulver is wisely restructuring).

Honestly, what we have in the local version of global 7s is a sports product of extraordinary quality and potential. Support it with the right core marketing and, critically, locational strategy, all executed by seasoned sports event marketing professionals (and further ramped by the Rio 2016 tie-in), and Aus rugby will really have something to be joyful and excited by, as well as something for which we can all be communally proud.

Edit added later: here we go again, the ARU's head of 7s is admitting that the GC's 2-day numbers never exceed 25,000-ish and yet he's offering full-blown support to keep Aus 7s at the GC and somehow we'll in time get it to the commercial and attendance status of the HKG etc 7s. Hopefully, this was just an instruction from above that he cannot possibly believe:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8738154

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Hong Kong Sevens tournament started in 1976. It was not until the early nineties that it started to become a big event. The Hong Kong Stadium is a relatively short distance from a huge number of bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Hong Kong itself has a large expat population, many of them presumably are interested in rugby (and having a good time). Plus there is very little topline sport in Hong Kong, and no topline rugby from year to year (apart from the Sevens, and an occasional blue riband event, like the Blcks playing there). Plus Hong Kong is a favoured long weekend destination for a host of expats based elsewhere in SE Asia.

Anybody who seriously thinks that the GC event can ever emulate Hong Kong's success is deluded.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
This event is just simply too expensive for the target audience.

They want young people there yet they charge over 7 bucks for a light beer. Anything over $6 for a mid strength is taking the piss - which you can afford to do during sold out Lions tour, but not when you have a failing event like the 7's.

I think a Melbourne or Brisbane event would work better if they are looking to maximise the experience for those who attend. A day at the 7's followed by a pilgrimage up Caxton Street. Or even have it at Ballymore and leave the bars open for a few hours after play has finished like they use to do in the old days at reds games.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So to sum up re: Skilled Park as an International 7's venue:

PROS:
  1. Good atmosphere rugby ground (really a mini Suncorp)
  2. Located on the Gold Coast (tourist mecca)
  3. Has railway connection
CONS:
  1. Poor transport facilities generally (do they allow free bus travewl to the ground as like at Suncorp?)
  2. Ground is in the middle of nowhere (Robina shopping centre nearly 2 klms away)
  3. No nearby car parking
  4. Eastern side situated in the heat of the afternoon sun
  5. Poor marketing of a major event

Status
Not open for further replies.