• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have no doubt rowing is in trouble. It’s been in trouble for some time. But especially so when the AAGPS Rowing Convenor needs to cheat and stack to ‘win’ the bottom ranked Senior division race.
The AAGPS rules of rowing are very clear, as is the AAGPS Code of Practice.
It used to be about what’s best for the boys. Now it’s all about hitting the KPIs and getting a contract extension. Yes, Rowing is in trouble.
Spot on!

I felt for those Riverview boys who are in a really good competitive program, and just missed out on the fours, probably been training their ass off all year and pushing the boys above them for selection, may have rowed in the four earlier in the season

Then only to just get pipped by a crew that is stacked, because they know they can't win any other races, not the first time Grammar did that

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rowing is in trouble if we’re complaining about Grammar stacking anything. Good luck to them. Would’ve been in contention to challenge for the Junior VIII, lost some depth, and chose to support the Senior program.
happens in athletics and swimming all the time. Not an apples for apples comparison but I’d prefer to see them successful regardless.
Doubt they would have been in contention above TKS and Riverview
Still no reason to cheat

FCD

Banned
Spot on!

I felt for those Riverview boys who are in a really good competitive program, and just missed out on the fours, probably been training their ass off all year and pushing the boys above them for selection, may have rowed in the four earlier in the season

Then only to just get pipped by a crew that is stacked, because they know they can't win any other races, not the first time Grammar did that
And that’s why Mick Smith had to go…if the Convenor won’t abide by the rules or the Code he had no place telling others what to do.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
We are less than a month away from Regatta season now!

It is my firm belief that we are going to have a 2019 situation on our hands.

That being, that the top 4 crews (in this case King's, Riverview, Shore and St Josephs) will only be seperated by the tiniest of margins.

King's have the experience, the wattage and the height. Riverview have the technique and bladework. Shore has the best culture and a re-juvenated program and Joey's have the title of Dark Horses.

Will Riverview go 5/6 again???? or will King's snatch the Major off them.

The initial results of all of that sculling and trials will be revealed in less than a month.

Get excited lads!!

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Shore 1st VIII updated prediction:

Bow: Alex Smith
2: Preston Scott
3: Jordan Elliott (Same situation with Roe)
4: Henry Marshall
5: Ben Roe? (Forgot about him earlier in the season, but was notably absent from the Spring Regatta, if anyone could fill me in on his situation it would be much appreciated)
6: Charlie Galligan
7: Liam Macfarlane
Stroke: Ben Muffet

Cox: Mackenzie Fox

(Note the large chunk of Shore predictions is because they have the most public results of trials and not because of bias)

Professor62

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shore 1st VIII updated prediction:

Bow: Alex Smith
2: Preston Scott
3: Jordan Elliott (Same situation with Roe)
4: Henry Marshall
5: Ben Roe? (Forgot about him earlier in the season, but was notably absent from the Spring Regatta, if anyone could fill me in on his situation it would be much appreciated)
6: Charlie Galligan
7: Liam Macfarlane
Stroke: Ben Muffet

Cox: Mackenzie Fox

(Note the large chunk of Shore predictions is because they have the most public results of trials and not because of bias)
Very unfortunate at the moment for Ben Roe, he has left the sport to focus on his academics. Not great for the Shore shed, although I'm sure they will be able to come back however.
-Professor

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Very unfortunate at the moment for Ben Roe, he has left the sport to focus on his academics. Not great for the Shore shed, although I'm sure they will be able to come back however.
-Professor
Well that changes alot. Thats alot of wattage gone, and they will need to fill that hole. Not sure how they will do it given everyone from the Second VIII from 2023 has already been mentioned, and the poor results in the Fours and Junior VIII's doesn't give the appearance of much depth. I'll say it how I think it is. Shore is in deep trouble.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
1698735204497.png

1698734685389.png

1698735140838.png

Apologies Ladies and Gents, it appeared that my last round of stats were partially incorrect. Here is an updated and correct version.

Ill try and make one of these for Junior VIII's in the near future, also working on the pennant's but its alot of tough research.

Last edited:

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
AAGPS HOTR RECORDS (SIRC)

4th Junior VIII:

6:34.87

St Joseph's College (2012)

3rd Junior VIII:

6:29.49

The King's School (2009)

2nd Junior VIII:

6:20.81

Shore School (2016)

1st Junior VIII:

6:08.67

St Ignatius' College (2021)

3rd VIII:

6:17.97

Shore School (2004)

4th IV:

6:53.47

Shore School (2004)

3rd IV:

6:51.98

Shore School (2004)

2nd IV:

6:43.25

Shore School (2004)

1st IV:

6:39.53

Shore School (2008)

2nd VIII:

5:57.73

The King's School (2001)

1st VIII:

5:42.06

Shore School (1996)

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
I think Shore has the ability to work their way into the top 3 over the course of the season.

I'll pick

1-2
View, Kings
3-4
Joeys, Shore
5-6
New, Scots
7-8
Grammar, High

Agreed TGoR, I would swap Shore into 3rd, the battle at the front this season on the water will more than likely be between View and Kings. Rest of the order is how I would have written it as a wild ass pre-season guess.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Lads, first entries are in for the season.

Congratulations to St Joseph's College for the quickest entry.

I am now officially awarding the dark horse title to the boys from Hunters Hill.

5 returning 1st 8 Rowers. Thats all ill say. A race prediction will follow soon.

Crew for those wondering.

D. Taylor (1-4 2023)
M. Moloney (2-8 2023)
G. Dreyer (2-8 2023)
A. Negline (1-8 2023)
T. Moloney (1-8 2023)
G. Ciesiolka (1-8 2023)
S. Basha (1-8 2023)
F. Mitchell (1-8 2023)
Cox: J. Yates (1-4 2023)

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Race Prediction:

Foreword: These are perfect racing conditions. ENE Wind (Tailwind) of 9km/h, with 20% cloud cover and a relatively mild 25 degrees. With it being the first race, historically (minus 2016) the First VIII's have been relatively slow.

1st: King's (5:57.92)
2nd: Riverview (5:58.27)
3rd: Joey's (6:01.51)
4th: Scots (6:02.18)
5th: Newington (6:03.41)
6th: Shore (6:05.13)
7th: Grammar (6:10.98)
8th: High (6:34.78)

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Race Prediction:

Foreword: These are perfect racing conditions. ENE Wind (Tailwind) of 9km/h, with 20% cloud cover and a relatively mild 25 degrees. With it being the first race, historically (minus 2016) the First VIII's have been relatively slow.

Maybe in March but not November. Kings does power work till term 1 before switching to speed.

Mrallpushnopull

Bob McCowan (2)
Think we are more likely to see a 5:57.34 from Kings, but a 6:02.19 from scots - the 20% cloud cover will lend itself towards hotter water, which of course will be more viscous, hence enabling heavier, lower sitting boats like the Kings Filippi to a proportionally faster time compared to their light, higher off-the-water counterparts.

In all seriousness, however, I can't see this being so spread out in the top 3 - view and joey's looking rather tidy especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.