• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Further tough emissions include Tim Wirth (2000), Hamish Hunter (2021), Clinton Boltman (2016), Anthony Kenny (2014), Tom Livingstone (2021, RIP), Hamish Playfair (2008) and by the way the Boat would be coxed by Harry Keenan (2018) and coached by David Jennings.
Kenny was 2015

The Chairman

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Chair's Crew Review: Riverview 2023 1st VIII

Stroke: Mac Collins: A strong rhythm setter and an endurance athlete, Collins was vital to the View 1st VIIIs title charge. His job of holding off the rush from the larger rowers behind him was challenging, given the large amount of size in the boat, but Collins looked flawless in maintaining a good ratio of the back with a strong catch. The rating in the last 250m from Collins at HOTR pulled them away from King's and ended up helping them win by 3 seconds. The Stroke rate was measured at upwards of 40 towards the end, a noticeable shift and good rate strategy from Collins played a key role in View securing the HOTR.

7: Jim O'Meara: A large rower and a fundamental part of Riverview's power was in the 7 seat. A skilled sweep rower, O'Meara was an expert at using his length and muscle to his advantage in the boat. He was also very competent in replicating Collins' rate through to the Engine Room, something that gave them the edge over King's at HOTR. A very capable rhythmic rower, my judgement is that O'Meara also could have rowed in the stroke seat. He is proficient coming out of the finish and has a very nice sequence rolling into the catch, where he can use his power effectively and efficiently.

6: Luka Millozi: By far the shortest of the boat, Millozi's height difference was noticeable but his ability and power was not. A returning rower from the View 1st 8 last year, Millozi's experience helped him become vital in View's win at HOTR. Millozi's height to power ratio (a new Chairman stat) is by far the best in the AAGPS, and his ratio is solid. However, Milozzi can be prone to dropping his hands at the catch, losing stroke efficiency. Nonetheless, he was a fantastic and fundamental rower for Riverview.

5: Flynn English: The tallest in the boat, for me English draws comparison to the great Tom Barnes. Length and power. No need to worry about ratio if you're English, with the big man from Mudgee delivering a significant portion of the wattage to the Riverview crew. However, English can be prone to hunching forward in the drive phase, which no doubt would cause significant back strain. A great rower that can deliver the power and do his job in the 5 seat is how I would best describe English. An expert pick-up from the 3rd IV, credit is also due to Noonan and Curtin for spotting his talent.

4: Jack Power: The biggest name of this crew, a returning rower from the 2022 First VIII and the National Under 19's Sculling Champion, Jack Power was not only in my eyes the biggest reason for this crew's success, but a rower to look out for in the future as a fan of Australian Rowing. His technique solid in every aspect, the power (no pun intented) unmatched, and the endurance ability was unreal in the Riverview boatshed. For me, Power draws me to the likes of Jackson Kench with his strong sculling and prowess in the crew. A brilliant rower to look out for in the future no doubt.

3: Ambrose Hennessy: The future of Riverview's 1st VIII prospects lay on this man, a large claim to make but nonetheless what I believe. A long, tall and strong rower, Hennessy seems to fit in with the Riverview mojo when it comes to rowing. A stable rower, Hennessy's large core strength allows him to stay firmly in the center of the boat with minimal unwanted movement. This compactness contributed significantly to why I believe Riverview won last year, Stroke Efficiency. My prediction for Stroke next year, Hennessy maintains a strong rhythm however he ideally wants his hands higher at the catch to be more linear with his stroke.

2: Ed Kelly: Another tall, long and strong rower filled out Riverview's 2 seat, with Ed Kelly's upper body power being on full display with his large shoulder snap after the leg drive adding large amount of power to an already powerful engine room. Kelly played his role to perfection in setting the boat, with Riverview's blade work being the best that I have seen in many years.

Bow: Jack Macken: Making the treacherous journey all the way from the Fourth IV to the First VIII isn't easy, but Jack Macken made it and he smashed it out of the park. Macken with Kelly seemed to click for Riverview's bow pair, again with both playing their roles to perfection in setting it up for the stacked Engine Room to lay down significant amounts of wattage. Macken however I feel took the phrase "Lean into your rigger" a bit too far, with at some times his body laying outside the middle line of the boat. Nonetheless, Macken was a fantastic roleplayer who played a key role in Riverview's win at HOTR.

Feel free to give me more suggestions.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
Chair's Crew Review: Riverview 2023 1st VIII

Stroke: Mac Collins: A strong rhythm setter and an endurance athlete, Collins was vital to the View 1st VIIIs title charge. His job of holding off the rush from the larger rowers behind him was challenging, given the large amount of size in the boat, but Collins looked flawless in maintaining a good ratio of the back with a strong catch. The rating in the last 250m from Collins at HOTR pulled them away from King's and ended up helping them win by 3 seconds. The Stroke rate was measured at upwards of 40 towards the end, a noticeable shift and good rate strategy from Collins played a key role in View securing the HOTR.

7: Jim O'Meara: A large rower and a fundamental part of Riverview's power was in the 7 seat. A skilled sweep rower, O'Meara was an expert at using his length and muscle to his advantage in the boat. He was also very competent in replicating Collins' rate through to the Engine Room, something that gave them the edge over King's at HOTR. A very capable rhythmic rower, my judgement is that O'Meara also could have rowed in the stroke seat. He is proficient coming out of the finish and has a very nice sequence rolling into the catch, where he can use his power effectively and efficiently.

6: Luka Millozi: By far the shortest of the boat, Millozi's height difference was noticeable but his ability and power was not. A returning rower from the View 1st 8 last year, Millozi's experience helped him become vital in View's win at HOTR. Millozi's height to power ratio (a new Chairman stat) is by far the best in the AAGPS, and his ratio is solid. However, Milozzi can be prone to dropping his hands at the catch, losing stroke efficiency. Nonetheless, he was a fantastic and fundamental rower for Riverview.

5: Flynn English: The tallest in the boat, for me English draws comparison to the great Tom Barnes. Length and power. No need to worry about ratio if you're English, with the big man from Mudgee delivering a significant portion of the wattage to the Riverview crew. However, English can be prone to hunching forward in the drive phase, which no doubt would cause significant back strain. A great rower that can deliver the power and do his job in the 5 seat is how I would best describe English. An expert pick-up from the 3rd IV, credit is also due to Noonan and Curtin for spotting his talent.

4: Jack Power: The biggest name of this crew, a returning rower from the 2022 First VIII and the National Under 19's Sculling Champion, Jack Power was not only in my eyes the biggest reason for this crew's success, but a rower to look out for in the future as a fan of Australian Rowing. His technique solid in every aspect, the power (no pun intented) unmatched, and the endurance ability was unreal in the Riverview boatshed. For me, Power draws me to the likes of Jackson Kench with his strong sculling and prowess in the crew. A brilliant rower to look out for in the future no doubt.

3: Ambrose Hennessy: The future of Riverview's 1st VIII prospects lay on this man, a large claim to make but nonetheless what I believe. A long, tall and strong rower, Hennessy seems to fit in with the Riverview mojo when it comes to rowing. A stable rower, Hennessy's large core strength allows him to stay firmly in the center of the boat with minimal unwanted movement. This compactness contributed significantly to why I believe Riverview won last year, Stroke Efficiency. My prediction for Stroke next year, Hennessy maintains a strong rhythm however he ideally wants his hands higher at the catch to be more linear with his stroke.

2: Ed Kelly: Another tall, long and strong rower filled out Riverview's 2 seat, with Ed Kelly's upper body power being on full display with his large shoulder snap after the leg drive adding large amount of power to an already powerful engine room. Kelly played his role to perfection in setting the boat, with Riverview's blade work being the best that I have seen in many years.

Bow: Jack Macken: Making the treacherous journey all the way from the Fourth IV to the First VIII isn't easy, but Jack Macken made it and he smashed it out of the park. Macken with Kelly seemed to click for Riverview's bow pair, again with both playing their roles to perfection in setting it up for the stacked Engine Room to lay down significant amounts of wattage. Macken however I feel took the phrase "Lean into your rigger" a bit too far, with at some times his body laying outside the middle line of the boat. Nonetheless, Macken was a fantastic roleplayer who played a key role in Riverview's win at HOTR.

Feel free to give me more suggestions.
Love these!
-Professor

Mothe-rucker

Frank Row (1)
Scot’s don’t have a strong Yr 10 group coming in and lost their coach, I see them 5-6th in a rebuilding year
It seems that many of the year 10 crew heading into the head of the river where fresh out of their trip from Glengarry and many were unexperienced in the boat. I believe their year has so much potential leading up to this season. From what I have heard, three returning oarsmen of the year 10 crew seem to be putting the heavy pressure on the bigger boys. Looks like it will be an interesting season!!

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
It seems that many of the year 10 crew heading into the head of the river where fresh out of their trip from Glengarry and many were unexperienced in the boat. I believe their year has so much potential leading up to this season. From what I have heard, three returning oarsmen of the year 10 crew seem to be putting the heavy pressure on the bigger boys. Looks like it will be an interesting season!!
I think similarly. Scots 1j VIII came into the season in a very poor form, coming in towards the back alongside Joeys if not dead last (and by large margins), although, by the end of the season, they were competing against the stronger crews of the likes of Newington, Kings, and View.

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
I think similarly. Scots 1j VIII came into the season in a very poor form, coming in towards the back alongside Joeys if not dead last (and by large margins), although, by the end of the season, they were competing against the stronger crews of the likes of Newington, Kings, and View.
Additionally, I have heard that the crew was very reluctant to row, almost being forced into it. Not sure what that means for the shed culture or if those boys will even be continuing this season. (none of this confirmed to be true)

The Chairman

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Were back after a bit of a break during the RWC:

Got a few comments in the 1st Junior VIII Race this year.

My pick is King’s followed by Joeys then Riverview.

Riverviews Quads program has been growing steadily growing and with the acquisition of the Junior Pennant, it must be said that they could easily take it from King’s.

Joeys have always had a strong quads program, but transitioning that into 8s has been a significant problem with only average results in recent years.

Shore is worrying, their Year 9 Quads last year did not fit the dominance that has been historically shown, and with their poor result at HOTR last year, I see this as a rebuilding year to prep for the future.

Any comments are always welcome.

Chair

The Chairman

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tuned into the Spring Regatta Today, good to see such a large amount of Shore scullers racing some of the senior lads that are now rowing for universities.

Interesting results however the wind made it almost impossible for a proper judgement of the times to translate to any proper knowledge of sculling prowess that has been gained.

From the results it seems that Alex Smith (3 Seat 2-8 2023), Ben Muffet (Stroke Seat 2-8 2023), Liam Macfarlane (6 Seat 2-8 2023) and Charlie Galligan (1st Junior 2023) are the strongest and are pretty much locks for the First VIII.

Hopefully we see more AAGPS representation in open sculling regattas soon and credit to Glenn Bates for getting the senior lads out onto SIRC.

Any other sculling results from AAGPS schools would be appreciated because this is the first open results that are accessible.

Cheers,

Chair

FCD

Banned
Anyone know why Grammar had no Junior 8’s last season? Why were they allowed to stack a 3rd 8…and ‘win’?

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Rowing is in trouble if we’re complaining about Grammar stacking anything. Good luck to them. Would’ve been in contention to challenge for the Junior VIII, lost some depth, and chose to support the Senior program.
happens in athletics and swimming all the time. Not an apples for apples comparison but I’d prefer to see them successful regardless.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Rowing is in trouble if we’re complaining about Grammar stacking anything. Good luck to them. Would’ve been in contention to challenge for the Junior VIII, lost some depth, and chose to support the Senior program.
happens in athletics and swimming all the time. Not an apples for apples comparison but I’d prefer to see them successful regardless.
I disagree here, they weren't fielding a 3rd VIII and blended their 2nd IV and 4 rowers from their Yr 10 1st VIII, from the regattas 2 and 3 weeks prior (both were off pace all season), to 'win' the 3rd VIII race at HOTR.

FCD

Banned
what about him
Shore
Winning 2nd 8 2009 (faster time than winning 1st 8)
Winning 1st 8 2010
Two times World Junior Championships
World Under 23 Championships
Senior A World Championships
Winning Kings Cup crew
He might grab a seat?
I have no doubt rowing is in trouble. It’s been in trouble for some time. But especially so when the AAGPS Rowing Convenor needs to cheat and stack to ‘win’ the bottom ranked Senior division race.
The AAGPS rules of rowing are very clear, as is the AAGPS Code of Practice.
It used to be about what’s best for the boys. Now it’s all about hitting the KPIs and getting a contract extension. Yes, Rowing is in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.