• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
On an unrelated note, here is my all-time Shore crew since 2000:

Stroke: Sam Horsley (2014)
7: Nicholas Purnell (2008)
6: Alexander Purnell (2012)
5: Tom Barnes (2016)
4: Jackson Kench (2017)
3: Pasha Bevan (2017)
2: Constant van Schalkwyk (2001)
Bow: Declan Glendinning (2020)

Open to any further suggestions
Take your pick from these gentlemen (I would also include Graham Jones, who was the best of my era). Coach for me would be Garry U (personal bias).
1694062120784.png

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Take your pick from these gentlemen (I would also include Graham Jones, who was the best of my era). Coach for me would be Garry U (personal bias).
View attachment 17453
One problem, most of these gentlemen are strong heavyweights. Disregarding stature and weight if I just had to put the best rowers in an 8 it would be:

Stroke: Kench
7: N. Purnell
6: A. Purnell
5: Playfair
4: Dickson
3: Lloyd
2: Jones
Bow: Hudson

Cox: Lister

Coach: Jennings (Just too many Rennies compared to Uebergang in my opinion, completely understand the argument for him however)

Good question.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
One problem, most of these gentlemen are strong heavyweights. Disregarding stature and weight if I just had to put the best rowers in an 8 it would be:

Coach: Jennings (Just too many Rennies compared to Uebergang in my opinion, completely understand the argument for him however)

Good question.
The crew looks pretty solid.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)

Good question.
Personally, would add Pasha Beven into the crew either at stroke and moving Kench somewhere else into the boat. I've heard from different sources that he won the GPS sculling regatta race, by a very lengthy margin (heard 50m, not a clue how reliable). He also rowed in the Australian 4 and won back to back HOTR races.
-Professor

StickMunch

Frank Row (1)
Shore the dark horse this year, they are ready for a comeback in my books. A lot of development for some rowers throught 2023 in the 2nd VIII like Henry Marshall, who from the records looks like he started in the yr 10 VIIIs and began 2022/23 in the 2nd IV. Henry and Charlie Galligan provide some great length in the middle while Ben Muffet seems to set a smooth rymthn in the stroke seat. Finally, Liam Macfarlane who apparently pulls sub 6:20 on the ergo seems to be set for domination come GPS trials. Think they are a dangerous underdog this year after their sub-par performance.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Shore the dark horse this year, they are ready for a comeback in my books. A lot of development for some rowers throught 2023 in the 2nd VIII like Henry Marshall, who from the records looks like he started in the yr 10 VIIIs and began 2022/23 in the 2nd IV. Henry and Charlie Galligan provide some great length in the middle while Ben Muffet seems to set a smooth rymthn in the stroke seat. Finally, Liam Macfarlane who apparently pulls sub 6:20 on the ergo seems to be set for domination come GPS trials. Think they are a dangerous underdog this year after their sub-par performance.
While this is a valid argument, I can't see them overtaking the likes of King's and View. Too much power in that King's engine room with the likes of Whalan and Theil, compared to Galligan who was in the First Junior VIII last year, and Marshall who was a part of a losing 2nd VIII who put up a relatively mediocre performance given their historical dominance.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
*Harry Marshell
-Professor

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Personally, would add Pasha Beven into the crew either at stroke and moving Kench somewhere else into the boat. I've heard from different sources that he won the GPS sculling regatta race, by a very lengthy margin (heard 50m, not a clue how reliable). He also rowed in the Australian 4 and won back to back HOTR races.
-Professor
Bevan lost the sculling championship to Tom Barnes in 2016, however he was sculling champ in 2017. However, putting this aside Kench proved his value much more. Best Ergo in 2017 (I believe) and stroking the Australian 8 constantly. Bevan was a strong rower but he has achieved nothing post-school unlike Kench.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Why? History, culture, sheds, talent, dedication.
-Professor
I can’t see Scots going far this year. Only a few returning rowers, and an average display at last years HOTR coupled with the exit of Baker to Shore. Would put them in a likely 4th-6th come March 24.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
So Shore and View bring performance along with depth.

Kings winning the 1sts will definitely provide a couple for their top crews.

Good to see Newington on there a few times.

Doesn’t lend much to the Scots argument with how they went at the last HOTR.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
So Shore and View bring performance along with depth.

Kings winning the 1sts will definitely provide a couple for their top crews.

Good to see Newington on there a few times.

Doesn’t lend much to the Scots argument with how they went at the last HOTR.
Haven't seen the likes of Isaac Fauna and Archie McMurtrie out on the water yet. Both provided great length, power and stability, who were key roles in the Kings undefeated 1J8 in 2023. Interesting to see if the program has let them walk as from what I could gather both handy on the football field as well. Does anyone have a take on this?
-Professor

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Haven't seen the likes of Isaac Fauna and Archie McMurtrie out on the water yet. Both provided great length, power and stability, who were key roles in the Kings undefeated 1J8 in 2023. Interesting to see if the program has let them walk as from what I could gather both handy on the football field as well. Does anyone have a take on this?
-Professor
It appears as if many of the Kings 1st Junior arent continuing, which will hurt their program becuase if minimum 4 of their rowers continued, I would have them as a shoe-in for the next 2 Major Rennies. Still hold a strong position coming into the year given that Riverview have 1 returning 1st 8 rower and Shore have none.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
View winning 5/6 races at HOTR and 2/4 yr10s will surely have a lot of returning boys from lower crews though.

That 1st VIII did win the nationals pretty comfortably so it was a hard one to crack for younger guys. Would be rowers in the 2nd VIII and 1st IV that would have made other schools 1st VIII.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
View winning 5/6 races at HOTR and 2/4 yr10s will surely have a lot of returning boys from lower crews though.

That 1st VIII did win the nationals pretty comfortably so it was a hard one to crack for younger guys. Would be rowers in the 2nd VIII and 1st IV that would have made other schools 1st VIII.
I also think their 2nd 8 didnt contain many returning rowers. Was 2022-23 an all in with Year 12 year for them? If so it worked unlike Shore who are now trapped in a deep hole with the gamble that produced their worst result in many years

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
I also think their 2nd 8 didnt contain many returning rowers. Was 2022-23 an all in with Year 12 year for them? If so it worked unlike Shore who are now trapped in a deep hole with the gamble that produced their worst result in many years
I actually think Shore will make the biggest improvement and turnaround this year, changing their program and bringing in 2 new 1st and 2nd 8 coaches. Would love to see them really come back this year and put on a show as they don't have as much to lose.
-Professor

Status
Not open for further replies.