• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Grats Quade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One game as captain and it can be concluded that he is no captain. That's bullshit fellas. He certainly didn't stuff up as captain last night but some of the attributes of a captain are built with time and experience. Ref management as an example. It was a mature performance and he did his team, his coach and his state proud. I thought in the post game interview he sounded like a good leader in his comments.

Well done Quade.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Someone should have told Quade to kick for field position when they could not run it out in the second half.

Who?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I missed this thread yesterday, but would like to add my congratulations.

The atmosphere sounded awesome from the Reds fans, and the result was good -could have been better but the forward pack were fairly handily smacked in the set piece

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
One game as captain and it can be concluded that he is no captain. That's bullshit fellas. He certainly didn't stuff up as captain last night but some of the attributes of a captain are built with time and experience. Ref management as an example. It was a mature performance and he did his team, his coach and his state proud. I thought in the post game interview he sounded like a good leader in his comments.

Well done Quade.
Yeah, he did OK. I was being somewhat facetious in my comment. I'm not sure he's the type to be a really good captain, although I don't doubt he provides plenty of leadership in the Reds set-up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Well done Quade.

What did Quade do apart from being selected as captain?
The on field leader was clearly Robinson.
Sure Quade told the ref what penalty option he was taking,but the actual of leading the side? Nah.
He didn't do anything wrong, nor did he do anything particularly right,deserving of a special mention.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sure Quade told the ref what penalty option he was taking,but the actual of leading the side? Nah.
He didn't do anything wrong, nor did he do anything particularly right,deserving of a special mention.

Yeah but years from now, the only thing most of us will remember is the little c next to his name.

P

Paradox

Count how many times he backed up to be involved. He tried his nuts off.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good Leader =/=> Good Captain
Good Captain => Good Leader

He was an excellent leader but not a great captain - not a bad one either

Give him 20 games at captain and he'll be passable. 50 and he'll be good.

T

TOCC

When you watch them live you realise Quade actually does a lot of talking behind the ruck to direct the backline and tell the halfback his options on keeping it in the forwards or sending it wide.

Just because he isn't onscreen burrowing his head into a ruck every two seconds doesn't mean he doesn't have much involvement.

P

Paradox

Simply put, the Reds would not be able to play with the width they do without Cooper. If the Reds had started another Australian fly half in the game, I suspect they may have conceded 30-40 points. The amount of pressure Cooper facilitates putting on the opposition is completely underrated. If the Reds had been able to secure their lineouts they would have played the corners more but the tactic of moving around the big Lions players with Cooper popping up everywhere, not dying with the ball, and slinging 30 metre passes worked pretty damn well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When you watch them love you realise Quade actually does a lot of talking behind the ruck to direct the backline and tell the halfback his options on keeping it in the forwards or sending it wide.

Just because he isn't onscreen burrowing his head into a ruck every two seconds doesn't mean he doesn't have much involvement.

No one has suggested he plays no part in the team.Of course he organises them, that's the 10's job.
Look at the replay, who is geeing up the boys before kick off?
It was Robinson.
I'm not criticising him, I'm just stating that some of the posts suggesting this was a majestic display of captaincy might be a touch over done.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Suggesting only the captain can talk to the team is a little silly. It never happens normally do why should it happen in this game.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Watched the Reds vs Lions match. Still cant figure out why the Wallabies dont pick such a gifted footballer. Goodness crazy he have class and great to watch, tattoos and all.

J

Josh Phillips

Cooper is a player blessed with quick feet and a majestic pass but he is not a captain. Im pro Quade Cooper and strongly disagree with Deans decision to emit him from the lions squad, but i still feel a sense of dissapointment in the way he has acted over the last year. And simply handing him the captaincy against a team like the lions says to him that that sort of attitude is accepted. Thoughts?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I thought it was a fine move to make him Captain, and one that paid off handsomely. His game was pretty good. My recollection was the pass to nowhere was actually to Lance not Beau and pretty reasonable to anticipate Lancey was coming in to his left. Other than that he made minor errors that meant little, one or two long passes that made me uncomfortable, one crabbing incident I wasn't fussed on, one incident into the tackle I didn't like, and I am still concerned he is afraid of injury going to the line, but that is nitpicking for a flyhalf and he played damn well.

Personally I wouldn't select him and I doubt many of the top 5 countries would, probably France. I saw PB posting above, but I struggle to see how the Boks would select him?

Whatever the issues he has had at higher levels Quade has been nothing short of stellar for the Reds. That is why so many Reds fans polarise the issue of his selection.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
My thoughts are that he said something that he shouldn't have, was fined an extremely large amount of money, publicly apologised and has busied himself with trying to play as best he can for his team - which is the Reds.

All the while he has copped a butt load of bile directed his way and has seemed to have taken most of it in his stride.

Regarding the captaincy, I thought he did OK however he didn't seem to do what all the other captains do these days (which is constantly chirp into the referee's ears about all their wants and desires) so maybe he has a lot to learn in that role. He doesn't come across as that kind of guy though

In terms of organising the team around the park and influencing how the game is played, he seems to have really excelled at that this season. He adapted well against the lions when the line outs went pear shaped and the kick chasers started to tire in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.