• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Great second row pairings

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Simon Shaw paired Johnson a lot, as did Danny Grewacock. That's a pretty tough locking combination.

Hard to go past Victor & Bakkies though really isn't it?

Best combo I've seen NZ have is Ian Jones & Robin Brooke. Lots of potential in our current combo too.
so we've got Victor and Bakkies as the hot favs for Boks and good debate for Wobs and ABs with Jones being the key and Eales the key for Wobs. How does Eales ,Vickerman rate?...I still think McCall shades him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wikipedia lists Brodie Retallick as 6'8 1/2 or 2.04m which is 1cm taller than Whitelock or Etzebeth.

Andries Bekker is the one massive one. He is listed at 6'10 or 2.08m.
My mistake, he didn't look that tall!! It's all relative! ;)

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Fabien Pelous & Jerome Thion played a lot of Rugby together for the Frogs add Pascal Pape into the rotation.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely it totally depends on the era. Back in Meads' day, lineouts, and rucks (in particular) were vastly different affairs than they are now. I would argue that a player as good as John Eales, as magnificent as he was in his time, would have struggled a lot in Meads' day, simply because he was not a mongrel.

I would agree that Eales and Giffin were a pretty good combo, as were Eales and McCall. Botha and Matfield would take some beating in any era, however. I would love to have seen Matfield under the old lineout laws, no lifting. I reckon he would have been absolutely unbeatable. And Botha would have been in his element in those days.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ireland? Frogs?

Willie John McBride, the Irish lock (albeit from Northern Ireland) was widely recognised as the best player of the 20th century (in the NH, anyway).

He was a superb athlete, tough and skilfull. He was a champion schoolboy high jumper, incidentally, great vertical leap to go with all his other physical attributes.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Eales was unique in that he partnered well with pretty much all who combined with him. Add to the list if I have left somebody out.

Connors
Cockbain
McCall
Sharpe
Waugh
Morgan

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eales was unique in that he partnered well with pretty much all who combined with him. Add to the list if I have left somebody out.

Connors
Cockbain
McCall
Sharpe
Waugh
Morgan

Giffin. Did he play with Vickerman, too? Not sure what is "unique" about the size of this list. Eales was the standout first choice lock for his whole career which lasted for a long time, so it kind of stands to reason that he would have had a few partners.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Giffin. Did he play with Vickerman, too? Not sure what is "unique" about the size of this list. Eales was the standout first choice lock for his whole career which lasted for a long time, so it kind of stands to reason that he would have had a few partners.

Memory's not as good as it used to be, but did either of Giffin or Harrison play alongside Eales, or had he retired before this duo came on the scene?

I believe the partnership of Whitelock and Retallick will go down as one of the best in rugby history. Both are excellent lineout practitioners but are also very strong around the ground in general play and seem to be solid at scrum time.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Might get a chance to see a Matfield/Botha combo again soon. Matfield apparently training hard for a come back with the Bulls next year and Botha still running around in France.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Memory's not as good as it used to be, but did either of Giffin or Harrison play alongside Eales, or had he retired before this duo came on the scene?

I believe the partnership of Whitelock and Retallick will go down as one of the best in rugby history. Both are excellent lineout practitioners but are also very strong around the ground in general play and seem to be solid at scrum time.

Giffin and Eales were our lock partnership at the '99 RWC.......

Without a doubt the best Wallabies locking combination since Eales and McCall........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Giffin played alongside Vickerman at the Brumbies and Wallabies (pushing Sharpe to the bench for a while).........

The reason Harrison went to the Tahs is because they were the starting locks........

Australia did have a good rotation of locks post Eales with Giffin, Sharpe, Vickerman and Harrison pushing each other for selection.........

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Harrison debuted in that last 2001 lions test alongside Eales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Eales would have probably formed a pretty strong locking partnership with George Gregan if he'd had to.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Willie John McBride, the Irish lock (albeit from Northern Ireland) was widely recognised as the best player of the 20th century (in the NH, anyway).

He was a superb athlete, tough and skilfull. He was a champion schoolboy high jumper, incidentally, great vertical leap to go with all his other physical attributes.

Willie John McBride brings to mind another Irish Lock, Willie Anderson.

When France were playing Ireland in Belfast in 1985, one spectator prepared a banner "Our Willie is bigger than your Condom" (Jean Condom French Secondrower). Classic

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lochore was mainly an 8 though, so they probably don't really count as a great locking combo.

Meads' brother Stanley was involved too. Stanley was a 6'3" packet of hate who punched his fair share of Springboks for his country, but by virtue of his older brother he was never even the best lock in his family, let alone Kings Country or the ABs. Classic Mark Waugh syndrome.

Seems the middle part of his career the Meads brothers played second row for NZ. In the latter part of his career it was a SC (Sam) Strahan.

Some of his early tests were at Lock (#8).

http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/Profile.asp?ABID=601

Second Row Brothers seems to be a big thing with the kiwis.
Whitelocks, Whettons (one was a 6 mostly I think), Meads, Brooke (Zinny was mainly #8).

Status
Not open for further replies.