• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Great second row pairings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Brian Lochore sometimes. I want to say Tiny White, but they might have missed each other.
Brian Lohore only played once at lock, after he had retired he was brought back against 71 Lions as I recall, certainly never had any partnership with Meads like Sam Strachan from Manawatu, who was a real tall dude, or seemed to be when I stood alongside him in about 68 and I was 14. Colin's brother Stan only played a few tests and I believe it was decided he was the one to stay home and look after the farm.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stan Meads played 30 games incl 15 tests for NZ over 5 years from 1961 - 1966.

He abruptly announced his retirement to concentrate on his sheep farm in 1966.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cheers ta HJ, hoped someone would take time to find number of games Stan played, I'm basically too lazy, so just tend to post whatever bits of info flow around what is sometimes called my brain!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Dan54, You were on the money about the farm thing, --- and I resisted further comment about the sheep on the farm.

All revealed from the great oracle that is wikipedia.

To think that there was a time (in our memory as well) when blokes went door to door peddling Encyclopedia's at several hundred dollars per set; all this when several hundred dollars got you a whole lot more than it does now - a Schooner of beer and a bag of chips in the front bar of your local for 35 cents.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez how things change huh HJ, I was at a kids 6th birthday party on weekend, and she couldn't believe there was a time when I was young when we didn't have computers or even colour tvs. :( Mind you kids Dad who is a rugby man still has trouble accepting fact that I was around when reserves ran touchline in test matches, so either he knows nothing or I'm getting on a little bit!
Actually I do rember Colin Meads in his first book saying that Stan was best locking partner he ever played with.

Status
Not open for further replies.