• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Greg Martin says the Waratahs must drop Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
Have been watching that "Rexona's Greatest Athlete" on 9 of a Sunday arvo and Tuqiri's lack of aerobic fitness is alarming.

Someone pointed out that his footy show appearance this week showed some highlights of his league days and he was a lot leaner. He's too big and slow now.

Spook said:
Tequila is not a favourite player of mine but his defense is first class out wide.

I would say the exact opposite. His defence in close is terrific, he hits on the fringe of the ruck like a forward. His positional play is dreadful and he never gives his fullback any help.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
How did I miss the most glorious article Mark Ella has ever written (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25217149-5015651,00.html).

I have been saying in this column for the past couple of years that the Waratahs' lack of Super 14 success lies not with their forwards but with the lack of spark and endeavour from their backline. On paper they look intimidating but in truth they are just a bunch of pretenders.

Some commentators have been saying that it's hard for the Waratahs' backline to function properly if their pack is not going forward which, of course, is a poor excuse for their lack of talent and ability.

Their backline has failed to live up to expectations for three to four years. I hope one day I will see their true potential but what is inhibiting them at the moment is lack of confidence in themselves, individually and collectively, not the conservative game plans. It might also help if they learn the true art of rugby. By that, I mean where to stand at set pieces and broken play. And how to run the right angles, which naturally open gaps for their support players. What about putting yourself in the right position to support the ball carrier and catch passes under pressure.

Well said that man.

T

TOCC

Spook said:
Tequila is not a favourite player of mine but his defense is first class out wide.
ive always argued the same point, but now im starting to think that his attacking ability has just dropped too much, i know people always say how he attracks defenders etc etc, but im just not seeing it.

Hynes is technically sound in defence, and Mitchell has made great inroads on his defence over the past few years, ive always backed tuqiri but im starting to question his ability.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually he was OK on the night I thought. Problem was the Tahs backs don't talk to each other - one of those tries was a result of Tuqiri and Turner going for the same man...

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Hickey on the Tahs' skills

Hickey said his side's game was 90 per cent "sound", and no one player was to blame for the other 10.

"When you go through and analyse those errors, it was only one error from 10 players, it's not one player who's making five or six errors in a game," he said.

"They're things that you work on constantly at training, catch and pass and those sorts of things.

"It's an awareness thing and as much as anything it's individual players taking responsibility."

Gee, that's gentle. I hope that's just the PR line and the guys are actually getting strips torn off them in private.

Wonderful to hear that the Tahs have made giant leaps and practice catching and passing at training now.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hickey said his side's game was 90 per cent "sound", and no one player was to blame for the other 10.
Not that we're playing 10 man rugby or anything.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
Spook said:
ive always argued the same point, but now im starting to think that his attacking ability has just dropped too much, i know people always say how he attracks defenders etc etc, but im just not seeing it.

Hynes is technically sound in defence, and Mitchell has made great inroads on his defence over the past few years, ive always backed tuqiri but im starting to question his ability.

The qualities Lote's defense was highlighted on the November tour, Shane Williams was given Hynes a really hard time, Deans replaced Hynes with Lote and Williams was bottled up for the rest of the game.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
TOCC said:
Spook said:

Yep. Williams was killing us until Lotsa came on.

The qualities Lote's defense was highlighted on the November tour, Shane Williams was given Hynes a really hard time, Deans replaced Hynes with Lote and Williams was bottled up for the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.