• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Greg Martin says the Waratahs must drop Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Spook said:
Martin can be rather uncharitable in his commentary at times. As a QLDer, he's also pushing Quade's case for selection. I would also argue that Cooper is ahead at this stage but this article is rather harsh. Blame Beale for Tuquiri and Turner not getting the ball? :-\

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25189165-5002381,00.html

Yeah - so where is the question.
If it was an add for pie eating, missing tackles, wafting in and out of play, then Beale is first selected.
All I have ever seen in Beale is a very good schoolboy player not holding his own at this level.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They forgot plodding and pedestrian in their description of "an effective 10-12 combination in club rugby"

They didn't even need to say that - an effective club combination says to me they aren't good enough to be anymore than 'solid' in S14, and possibly even worse than that.

Have to stick with Beale to see what they can get out of him, but get an attack coach that has more of an idea.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
They forgot plodding and pedestrian in their description of "an effective 10-12 combination in club rugby"

They didn't even need to say that - an effective club combination says to me they aren't good enough to be anymore than 'solid' in S14, and possibly even worse than that.

Have to stick with Beale to see what they can get out of him, but get an attack coach that has more of an idea.

Could not agree more. However, I wonder why a Queenslander wants to help us out with some fine advice? :)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
Did you see the Sydney Uni mafia pumping for Hangers and Carter to play 10/12 because of "The best option for No.10 may be to pick Halangahu, a tempo player known for his quick, consistent and accurate service, and recall hard-running Tom Carter to inside centre. The pair already form an effective 10-12 combination in club rugby at Sydney University."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/waratahs-under-attack/2009/03/15/1237054649849.html?page=2

Memo to Hickey, Horne at 12 either Tahu or Carraro at 13

That was champagne comedy. Oh, and when was the last time Hangers & Carter combined at 10 & 12 ? Carter was injured & played no club rugby last year. If they were such a potent combo, why is Hangers mostly a fullback for Uni these days ?

Carraro has very good hands for 13 and is unselfish. I don't know that one selection is going to make a difference. That backline unit just don't seem to comprehend support play.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I feel sorry for the kid( and that's what he is). He was a brilliant schoolboy footballer who I'm sure didn't start his own hype. Maybe expectation is weighing him down? A spot on the bench or time in the Academy may be what he needs. Didn't do Cooper any harm last year. Remember how much crap he was copping this time last year?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
spectator said:
I feel sorry for the kid( and that's what he is). He was a brilliant schoolboy footballer who I'm sure didn't start his own hype. Maybe expectation is weighing him down? A spot on the bench or time in the Academy may be what he needs. Didn't do Cooper any harm last year. Remember how much crap he was copping this time last year?

His biggest challenge is the total lack of any real experience around him, the only experience is SNK and Lote. He was started too early, well not even started thrown to the Lions was more like it. He spent the first season losing and doing things for himself and has got better slowly as he became part of the team.

But like the rest of our munchkin back he is only 20, he is going to continue to make mistakes as he learns.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
spectator said:

His biggest challenge is the total lack of any real experience around him, the only experience is SNK and Lote. He was started too early, well not even started thrown to the Lions was more like it. He spent the first season losing and doing things for himself and has got better slowly as he became part of the team.

But like the rest of our munchkin back he is only 20, he is going to continue to make mistakes as he learns.

just what Morgan Turinui said!

R

rugbywhisperer

How do you guys stick with Hangers - I thought you NSWelshmen were smart, astute, cunning,
Then again you sold us Turinui didn't you. Good job.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spook said:
Martin can be rather uncharitable in his commentary at times. As a QLDer...

Apart from being so one-eyed towards the Reds he can't see anything on his left, Marto's not such a bad bloke. He's running in the Queensland election on Saturday as an independent with only three policies:

• bring back cracker night
  • lift the ban on backyard incinerators, allowing Queenslanders to burn leaves in their backyards
  • ban dogs under 30cm in height

Now these sound like very sensible policies to me. If I was still in Brisbane I'd volunteer to be his campaign manager, but, alas, I'm not. He also very kindly helped Pauline Hanson on Tuesday in an attempt to clear up the fiasco over her nude photos. Pauline offered to bare her navel to prove the photos weren't her, and in a show of solidarity Marto appeared bare-chested with Pauline at a press conference in Brisbane. What generosity.

Go Marto. If any Scarfers live in his electorate remember the old Labor Party motto: vote early, vote often.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
How do you guys stick with Hangers - I thought you NSWelshmen were smart, astute, cunning,
Then again you sold us Turinui didn't you. Good job.

Aus's No 10 depth is 12 yrs, plodders and Gits

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In my opinion the issue has much more to do with the coaches and less to do with Beale. He has the talent, but they don't know how to get him (and the team) to utilise it.

Experience would help alongside him, but when you compare the NSW backline to the Reds one, they are more or less the same experience wise. Would SNK be an option at 12?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NEWSFLASH

Marto's released two new policies:

• his transport policy advocates six blokes allowed in the back of utes at all times. This surely will alleviate any traffic jams around Brisbane.
  • every Queensland bloke to receive a carton of beer from the government on his birthday.

The no 30cm dog policy has been cleaned up a bit: all small dogs to be part of a dog buyback scheme. I might have to slip up to Brissie before the Tahs' kickoff and vote for Marto. :D :D :D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lindommer said:

• every Queensland bloke to receive a carton of beer from the government on his birthday.

• His campaign manager has qualified that somewhat: its actually a carton of XXXX so not really "beer". But the good news is this coincides with a new and cheap scheme for urine testing of horses...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If telling QLDers the truth is a bannable offence, then by all means!

In their defence, XXXX Gold actually doesn't taste too bad. But the ledger is squared with Bundy and now Bundy Red.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Tahs must also take Tuqiri out to the back paddock and put 2 in the back of his head. I don't want to exaggerate or anything but Tuqiri is the worst player in the history of the universe.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Aus's No 10 depth is 12 yrs, plodders and Gits

Barnes & Cooper are test ready.

The Tahs must also take Tuqiri out to the back paddock and put 2 in the back of his head. I don't want to exaggerate or anything but Tuqiri is the worst player in the history of the universe.

Your not wrong he is fucking over the hill big time, if he make the Wallabies 1st 22 then I'll have my doubts about Robbie Deans.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have been watching that "Rexona's Greatest Athlete" on 9 of a Sunday arvo and Tuqiri's lack of aerobic fitness is alarming.

S

Spook

Tequila is not a favourite player of mine but his defense is first class out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.