• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Having a good whinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Not merely satisfied for bagging the Sydney Morning Herald for their rather ordinary coverage of Rugby (when you get the idea that they think it is wonderful), I thought I would start a thread that would allow me to vent my spleen on some other profoundly important topic. To release some steam on a Monday morning, alert the Gods to life's ills and try to get some proper order in the natural ranking of things.

Today's rant is packaging. Mordern packaging...as from my days back in the halcyonic golden summers of my youth, packaging was fair and practical.

These days it resembles some sort of sick peverted joke. Just scratching the surface, three examples stand out: soap, CD's and the packaging of lollies/ chocolates et al.

I don't want to name a particular soap brand, but there is one: Imperi...no wait, let's call it Metric Vinyl to avoid bringing up names, that now has three layers of packaging. For a soap. The box is covered in plastic, there is the box itself and when you get past that you find the individual soap thingies wrapped in plastic. Why?? Who thought of that?? The damn thing is just soap, soon to be thrown into some dodgy soap holder in a shower or something to live the remainder of its life in water. The effort to get to thing thing is probably more than the value of the thing. If there is an expression that is past pointlessness, you could use it here. Grumble...

If you have ever tried purchasing a CD these days at the various stores and wonder where all the shop assitants are I know where they are. They are out the back covering all the CD's in various shrink-wrapping joke. You buy a CD, rush home to play it and it is locked in by various superfluous and irrelevant (much like using those last two terms together) plastic wrapping. And more to the point, hard to open plastic wrapping. Is it possible to open these things by hand or teeth...no. Kitchen knives or scissors are required...even then just manageable and often resulting in damaged hands or damaged CD cases. For heaven's sakes various music stores...we are doing you a favour buying the CD's...there is no need to lock them up in some fiercely protective packaging. The joke is already on us buying music rather than down-loading it. Don't rub our noses in it.

For the last example I probably need to digress and mention Max Planck and the concept of Quantum Theory. In which particles (electrons from memory) jump between levels in a discrete manner...all-or-nothing...that it requires a certain energy level for them to achieve it and then it all just happens. Or something like that. But it segues nicely into confectionary packaging. These packets of your favourite sweet are now designed so that you can not easily and delicately open them. You know, the sort of tear at the top, so that the interior goodies are easily accessible. No the current design of the package is such that the packet exists in only two states. Totally un-opend, closed and shut or in a miasma of pitiful, shredded remains as "successful" attempt at opening results in the packet disintegrating and you diving for the lollies before the scatter to the winds. These days opening a packet of "Maltesers" is a geographic display of a volcanic eruption of small chocolate balls. If the "3 second' rule was applied to the lollies hitting the floor I would never have sampled lolly in the last few years. (And in terms of packaging for lollies I won't get into that eternal question of why it is only the most noisy of packets that are sold in cinemas....).

Hmmm...rant over. I think it has made me feel better. At least until I find some other issue with modern society to rail against.

R

Raptor

it seems you have a problem with opening any kind of packaging. just take a deep breath and open it slowly no need to get fired up ;)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tens of thousands of years ago, man began to use tools. It was an important step in the evolution of mankind.

Aaaaanyway, to get to the point, buy a pair of scissors! :)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My suggestions: use liquid shower gel, get an Ipod and stop eating crap.

There. Easy. :)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Apple are a seriously dodgy company. Their anti-competitive nature is orders of magnitude more evil than Microsoft has ever been. But people don't seem to care, cause they package their con in a shiny white case.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Apple - clever designer packaging. Too bloody clever and too bloody designer to actually chuck out. Great attention to detail but ultimately a bloody waste.

Elfster, I agree re the Imperial bathing product wrapping. Never really understood it.

We waste so much unnecessarily nowdays. I suspect much if it is there to protect the genuine brand from cheap copies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
lets also point out, as evil as microsoft might be, compare the CEO's of both companies and Bill gates certainly has a bigger, better conscious, contributes more to society and contributes more to charity, im pretty sure Jobs spends all his money on taylor made turtle necks...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Apple are a seriously dodgy company. Their anti-competitive nature is orders of magnitude more evil than Microsoft has ever been. But people don't seem to care, cause they package their con in a shiny white case.

Not because their products are innovative, stylish, work, talk to each other and aren't riddled with more viruses than a $10 whore?

(yes, I bit)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Of course you bit. Is it true that apple phone car charges have built in electronics that force the device to handshake before allowing it to charge, then when you update your phone's firmware it changes the handshaking code?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
innovative only by steve jobs speeches, the CEO terming his products revolutionary in every speech doesnt make them neccessarily so, lets also add that they don't, in fact, work better than any linux or windows based products, they rather create boundaries which make people adapt to them. viruses only exist in products people use, as more Mactards start to come into being, so more viruses for Macs will be created, Macs are actually the most vulnerable machines on the market to viruses (if one was to create one).

back to revolutionary products.

all Macs have been basically bland and failures up until the Ipod era, possible exception for technical genius maybe the ultimate failure in the Mac 2

move on a good 10 years and you find some decent laptops in creation

1994 the apple newton (ipad 1) a failure, Palm, three years later come out with a similar product with a better interface, ultimately a success

another six years later, the ipod comes into being, a copy of numerous amounts of MP3 players available on the market, iRiver continue to develop probably some of the most innovative products in the portable digital media world, eventually the third generation iPod picks up an iconic brand. Many brands comete with better spec'd machines, notably, with Colour screens and larger harddrives, particularly samsung at this time the iPods where using inferior chipsets, eventually switching to samsung and LG based products

basically, apple live off the Ipod for much of the time, not much development in other products, even that in the iPod being behind competitors, generally unnoticed due to subtle product launches

Apple releases the ipod touch in 2007, along with the iphone, perhaps the touchscreen is slightly innovative, however this product development had already been speculated for other products for years.

the iphone 1, at first release, a phone with a touchscreen, but the basic functionality of a phone from 2003, costing the same as a phone with modern technology.

one must remember the motorola rokr, a collaboration with motorola and ultimate failure

a year later in 2008, apple release the iphone 3g, bringing 3g technology to its phone range, something which existed in the mobile phone industry for many years.

this has all worked upto the iphone 4, which brings video chat (with wifi assistance) and multitasking, both functions available for many years on a number of cheap nokias.

recently, the apple magic mouse, generally considered a failure due to its bad ergonomics has been an innovation along witha touch pad for desktop computers (great)

the reason that aple is seen to be innovative is their marketing and their ability to make its fans ignore its failures, opposed to linux based machines or microsoft equipment that ultimately has its failures focused on.

furthermore, apple computers still do not need to support a number of software products which could produce bugs, again, over time with more users coming on board, this will happen.

http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc3/hs201.snc3/20845_406381091164_595411164_4442226_2768789_n.jpg

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
forgot to mention the iPad, a remodelled tablet pc mixed in with the ipod

oh and yes, if you didnt figure it out before, i really do HATE apple

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My suggestions: use liquid shower gel, get an iPod and stop eating crap. There. Easy. :)

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PURCHASE AN iPOD. Go for a Creative, SanDisk, iRiver, anything but Apple. This way you can rip any music you want from mates, etc, with Windows Media Player.

Apple's service is positively malicious, possibly resulting in suicide.

R

Rothschild

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PURCHASE AN iPOD. Go for a Creative, SanDisk, iRiver, anything but Apple. This way you can rip any music you want from mates, etc, with Windows Media Player...
Apple's service is positively malicious, possibly resulting in suicide.

I can live without my aftershave, I can live without my wife, I can even live without my car but I can't live without my MUM and my iPhone. For me it is the best business phone bar none. As Moses said, in a nutshell it works - every time.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I can live without my aftershave, I can live without my wife, I can even live without my car but I can't live without my MUM and my iPhone. For me it is the best business phone bar none. As Moses said, in a nutshell it works - every time.

I'm not convinced that is what I said...
From what I've read the iPhones are not particularly reliable anyway, they just have a good returns policy, which I believe most users have had first hand experience with

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The iPhone is overpriced based on the technology it uses, and the new ones don't work. you can get a higher spec'd machine for the same price, with just as many decent apps with an HTC running on android or samsung running on android (especially if you manage a phone with android 2.2 froyo)

R

Rothschild

I'm not convinced that is what I said...

From what I've read the iPhones are not particularly reliable anyway, they just have a good returns policy, which I believe most users have had first hand experience with

apologies sir - meant Gagger

R

Rothschild

The iPhone is overpriced based on the technology it uses, and the new ones don't work. you can get a higher spec'd machine for the same price, with just as many decent apps with an HTC running on android or samsung running on android (especially if you manage a phone with android 2.2 froyo)

and for Joe idiot like me who wpoldn't know computer research if it bit him on the arse, the iPhone offers a great package. The other might offer something better BUT, they haven't told me about it, Apple did.

Status
Not open for further replies.