• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Having a good whinge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mrs Jarse is not particularly technically competent when it comes to computers and such like hi-tech stuff.

She has adopted magnificantly to her iPhone without any real problems. Simple and intuitive.

May not be the best technical solution or even value for money, but it works for her and she is very happy.

It sounds a bit like there is a beta vs VHS argument going on about the iPhone and competition. (can anyone remember back that far?)

Put simply history is littered with examples where the best technical solution has failed in the marketplace in comparison to its direct competitor.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
as long as you don't claim to be a technical wizz, and master of all electronics by buying them thats fine, also have to admit laziness if you buy an apple product.

so many mactards claim to be soo smart when it comes to electronics just because they own a mac or hail steve jobs as their god

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

It sounds a bit like there is a beta vs VHS argument going on about the iPhone and competition.

Yes I do remember, as a kid, Dad went with the Beta side as his brother told him the professionals (aka cameramen) used Beta...alas VHS was too far entrenched by then....

I guess despite the apparent advantages of Android systems whether now or later on, it won't supersede the iphone...it's all about marketing these days...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
actually android is the fastest growing OS in the world and is on track to overtake the symbian OS as the major mobile OS in the world, apple is, pardon the pun, but comparably small apples compared to other systems already, it just has exposure right now, at a point in time, apple products will become too popular for their own good and the alternate trend will wear out, and apple will become uncool, this is the marketing point it relies on

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
As a designer, I'm surprised you don't get it RF.

Apple prods might not have the absolutely latest piece of tech in whichever segment they're working in (and it's a hell of a lot now - phone, tablets, desktops, laptops, wi-fi, music & video retail....) but tech in itself is useless if the user doesn't have a positive experience with it. A lot people wrongly put this down to 'marketing'.

It's actually about design, in two ways. Physical design, in that the thing looks and feels so much better than anything else out there. And process design, in that it's plug and play and so much more intuitive than the competition.

The 'marketing' behind the apple success this century has been people simply seeing or trying an apple product, because the design of the product is just so superior. As long as Apple keeps innovating in terms of the design, and isn't too woefully off in terms of the tech, it'll continue to kick ass, challenger brand or not.

There will always be those arguing the tech in their ugly ass phone or mp3 is just so superior (just you can't get it to talk to your other gear, or need to download a gazillion drivers, or re-learn DOS to operate it...). Fine for them, but they miss the point.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Email Wank footers

Recognise any of these little statements typically found at the bottom of email messages sent from smart phones:

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk
Sent from my IPAD
Sent from my IPhone

As if they matter for any reason apart from free advertising for the phone manufacturer.

Who really cares where you sent the email from using what software.

One of my mates actually pastes "Sent from my Ipad" or "Sent from my iPhone" on a random basis to bottom of his emails, despite the fact that he has neither. This is part of his ongoing campaign to against corporate IT department who have a policy of not supplying mac products.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Recognise any of these little statements typically found at the bottom of email messages sent from smart phones:

As if they matter for any reason apart from free advertising for the phone manufacturer.

Who really cares where you sent the email from using what software.

One of my mates actually pastes "Sent from my Ipad" or "Sent from my iPhone" on a random basis to bottom of his emails, despite the fact that he has neither. This is part of his ongoing campaign to against corporate IT department who have a policy of not supplying mac products.

There are two sides to this. We get requests all the time from people wanting to use Mac's, iPhones etc etc. That's fine, so long as you are happy to support yourself and you don't open us up to any additional security risks. The problem is, people do want us to support them and my usual attitude is: your device, your problem. We'll try and make our environment as open standards compliant as possible and if you can get your stuff to work, then yippee. If you can't, then sorry, out of luck.

And I say this as someone with a house full of Apple products.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Recognise any of these little statements...

Who really cares where you sent the email

I only leave them on there because sometimes things look different from the phone than the pc, incase something looks stupid.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I only leave them on there because sometimes things look different from the phone than the pc, incase something looks stupid.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

So we can all blame the mobile phone when we post something stupid? I love it

Sent from the next room using Jedi Mind Trick

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I understand now.

Sent from my macbook pro laptop using fingers to type while watching TV and using airport extreme wifi to bigpond ADSL2 modem.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
There are two sides to this. We get requests all the time from people wanting to use Mac's, iPhones etc etc. That's fine, so long as you are happy to support yourself and you don't open us up to any additional security risks. The problem is, people do want us to support them and my usual attitude is: your device, your problem. We'll try and make our environment as open standards compliant as possible and if you can get your stuff to work, then yippee. If you can't, then sorry, out of luck.

And I say this as someone with a house full of Apple products.

It just goes to show how entrenched Apple culture is for some people. Work give us Blackberries and one of the new guys asked for an ifone (correct spelling), when they turned him down he sulked and decided to bring his wifes old Nokia in from home.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We use BlackBerries too and they really are the best corporate phone in my opinion. They are certainly the most secure. The cost of running a fleet of them is a lot lower than every other device we've tried and it's mainly because of BES. Flat fees for data FTW.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BH, I am not IT department. How many of the managers you deal with actually use more than about 10% of the functionality of their Blackberries?

IMHO most of them are used as novelty toys and are demanded just to keep up with the Jones's.

While we are on the whinge thread, how about the manager who uses their mobile phone at their desk when there is a perfectly good landline approximately 500mm from where they are seated. Local Landline calls cost 20c (or thereabouts - how much is one local landline call nowdays) and are untimed. Mobile calls cost this for the flagfall and are timed.

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a good point HJ. The main thing people use it for is to have their email on the go and it's very, very handy. We are in mining and oil & gas, so our managers and reps are out at site a lot. Having the BB means they are always in touch with the office. We do have an element of "he's got one, I want one too" as well, I won't deny. I have one and probably don't need it. It's a nicer handset than the shitty SonyEricsson I had before though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I still love my Nokia 9310i as an awesome phone (for its day). Didn't do much fancy stuff, but as a duplex voice communication tool, it was par excellence. In many respects as a simple mobile phone, it outperforms many of the feature filled modern devices.

Always had great reception, at least one bar more than all the others regardless of carrier when reception started to drop off.
Battery life was phenomenal. Great contacts list management with PC suite for backing up.

No camera (didn't need one).

I needed a reliable voice telephone, and the Nokia 9310i was one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So we can all blame the mobile phone when we post something stupid? I love it

Sent from the next room using Jedi Mind Trick

No, you didn't use the Mind Trick... *waves fingers*

"Jedi Mind Trick" may be a new voice recognition application to compete with "Dragon Naturally Speaking".

Be quiet of some of The Brown Hornets executives will be asking for his IT Department to supply this new application on Monday.

Sent from my laptop by typing each letter, without relying on spell check.

Status
Not open for further replies.