• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Headless Chickens / Disgrace to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Rugby Rat said:
Houston on the way....Sure he is only young yet.

Houston needs to lift his defence and workrate. That or move to LHP.

S

Sardyntjie

New Zealand will now be full of confidence and there for the taking.When this outfit gels , it is a very good side.The Wallabies have performed very well this year .Good luck on the finals.

R

Rugby Rat

barbarian said:
formeropenside said:
Rugby Rat said:

Agree. He is still a long, long way off Wallaby consideration.
Doubt it. 2 years is not that long.

R

Rugby Rat

Sardyntjie said:
New Zealand will now be full of confidence and there for the taking.When this outfit gels , it is a very good side.The Wallabies have performed very well this year .Good luck on the finals.

Two of the worst defeats EVER is not performing very well. Maybe they are just concentrating on doing enough to get the Trophy ? :nta:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
naza said:
Blue said:
Conclusion: breakdowns are still a disaster and in any match it will always appear like on team comes off better than another.

Where are the ELV lovers now ?
if the Ref doesn't police the breakdown at all it doesn't matter what rules you play!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have to agree with Naza about Muggelton. Our defence has been pretty shit this year, we scramble well but under Muggleton we didn't have to scramble. On a bad day the opposition would make about 5 clean line breaks but this year the seem to average about that or more.

Even when we beat NZ in sydney they made 11 line breaks fortunately like the Saffas in Durban they let themselves down.

A lot of the blame has been pointed at the players but defence is one area the Wallabies have always led the way in world rugby & I thinks Deans needs to adjust the way he thinks defensively.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
SA are still going off their feet too much but to suggest they infringed more that Aus is looking for excuses.

Ah, nope, not looking for excuse since I think SA infringed more in the first game as well. I don't blame SA of course, I blame the ref for allowing the free for all.

Have a look at the tape of the first 30mins of the first game, and if you don't see SA coming in from the side and going off their feet at least twice as much as the Wallabies do, I'll take back my comment.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Sully said:
naza said:
Blue said:
Conclusion: breakdowns are still a disaster and in any match it will always appear like on team comes off better than another.

Where are the ELV lovers now ?
if the Ref doesn't police the breakdown at all it doesn't matter what rules you play!

That's why they should put more power into the players hands, or feet, and permit players to be rucked off the ball, with extreme prejudice. Giving away a free kick is an absolute joke of a punishment.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
disco said:
A lot of the blame has been pointed at the players but defence is one area the Wallabies have always led the way in world rugby & I thinks Deans needs to adjust the way he thinks defensively.

Good call disco. I suspect part of the problem is that by preaching the 'play what's in front of you' approach in attack, we're leaving ourselves vulnerable in defence. When you turn ball over on your 22, you are going to have problems. Perhaps they need more time to get the hang of it but I don't know that there's any excuse for giving up a half century.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rugby Rat said:
formeropenside said:
Rugby Rat said:

Certainly big enough for the job.

Well shit then I'm second in line if size is the criteria :) Mongrel is what we're lacking lads....

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Completely stolen from The Roar..(I love it when people do my homework for me).

These are the averages over the Tri-Nations games
Tackles - Smith 14.5, Barnes 12, Palu 10, Elsom 9.25, Horwill 9, Moore 8.5, Sharpe 8, Giteau 8, Waugh 7.67
Offloads - Palu 2, Burgess 1.67, Giteau 1.4, Barnes 1.3, Elsom 1.0, Horwill 0.8
Line Breaks - Tuqiri 0.8, Mortlock 0.67, Palu 0.4, Giteau 0.4, rest <= 0.25
Ruck / Maul - Palu 10.8, Smith 8, Elsom 7.75, Sharpe 6.67, Mortlock 5.67, Tuqiri 5.6, Horwill 5.4
Mtrs - Palu 57.2, Tuqiri 56.2, Mortlock 53.33, AC 52.50, Elsom 36.25
Runs - Palu 11.8, Elsom 8.5, Sharpe 7.67, Smith 7.5, Mortlock 7.0, Tuqiri 6.2, Horwill 6.0
Mtrs / Run - AC 10, Tuqiri 9.06, Mortlock 7.62, Barnes 7.22, Giteau 7.14, Hynes 6.68, Palu 4.85

So sure drop Palu 3rd in tackles, most offloads, most mtrs, most runs, best mtrs per run out of the forwards, most linebreaks by a forward.

:lmao: :lmao: Thanks for coming !

No, really, tell me again about this guy who can't get it done at hooker but will suddenly master the number 8 spot.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Naza, you conveniently overlooked the fact that Elsom performs pretty well in those stats- 4th in tackles, 5th in offloads, 3rd in R&Ms, 5th in metres, 2nd in runs.

Not too shabby for such a terrible player ;)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
barbarian said:
Naza, you conveniently overlooked the fact that Elsom performs pretty well in those stats- 4th in tackles, 5th in offloads, 3rd in R&Ms, 5th in metres, 2nd in runs.

Not too shabby for such a terrible player ;)

Pretty clear he's a distant 3rd in the loose forward stakes. He should be leading the tackle count and live at the ruck/maul. Especially when you do a bit of maths and work out Palu has trounced Elsom, despite getting subbed off ! And I wonder how many yards Elsom would make without Palu there ? How many breaks would others make without Palu's hard yards and offloads ?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wasn't suggesting Rocky is number 1, rather that the stats show that he CAN tackle, and is not the myth you make him out to be.

And yes, Palu is a good player. The stats show that, too. So whilst the Palu fan club will not be losing members, Elsom Haters Anonymous may start to struggle for numbers...

S

Sardyntjie

I dont know if there is anything seriously wrong with Aussie rugby.Your biggest loss is Barnes , who takes the pressure off Gits and makes Gits a good player.BTW I thought Gits played very well in a losing team on saturday.Smith is miles ahead of Waugh , and will no doubt start.That will sort out your ball retention and Mcaw.If you get the right guy inside Gits , you will beat the ABs.They are weak in the centres and Mortlock will cause havoc on the break.I dont know what tthe solution is at inside centre.....?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
barbarian said:
I wasn't suggesting Rocky is number 1, rather that the stats show that he CAN tackle, and is not the myth you make him out to be.

And yes, Palu is a good player. The stats show that, too. So whilst the Palu fan club will not be losing members, Elsom Haters Anonymous may start to struggle for numbers...

Wow, you're reaching there. Its pretty clear Elsom is a myth. Not only is his impact weak, his workrate is inferior to Palu, who people want sacked for not doing enough. With Elsom stinking up the joint and one foot on the plane to Ireland, Deans needs to move on and bring Mumm onto the flank.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
naza said:
barbarian said:

Wow, you're reaching there. Its pretty clear Elsom is a myth. Not only is his impact weak, his workrate is inferior to Palu, who people want sacked for not doing enough. With Elsom stinking up the joint and one foot on the plane to Ireland, Deans needs to move on and bring Mumm onto the flank.

Wait on, I thought that Palu was the great Australian saviour, and that Elsom is doing well to merely keep up. Now he's hanging by a thread, with Elsom a mile behind. Your logic is not sound here.

Yes, his workrate is inferior to Palu, but Palu should not be sacked as the stats clearly show his value to the side. Everyone's workrate is inferior to Palu- including Smith, whom no sane fan would remove from the side.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck I hate tackle stats - firstly, no-one uses the same system for that shit. Some people count only if you make the tackle by yourself. Some count if you're the "first" tackler. Some give you half a count if you "assist" in the tackle. Its utter bullshit in rugby where in league its more clear-cut because a tackle is a tackle is a tackle and very easy to spot: they count 5 of the fluffybunnys and then kick the ball!

Secondly, the number of tackles you make is a direct consequence of how many people they run at you, hence Barnes' huge tally. It is easy to say Smith makes a lot of tackles because he covers a lot of ground. It is also easy to say that opposition coaches target Smith at the tackle so that they can get him out of play for the next phase. It is also just as easy to propose that you can be in the right place at the right time, especially if you're in the tight five and the opposition plan is to hit it up in the 1 channel all day - similarly with Ruck and Maul count.

In this way, tackle stats are rendered meaningless without MISSED TACKLE stats. Its not how many you make, its how effective you were at doing it that really counts.

My advice naz: take all those straws you're clutching at, put them on your camel, then once its back is broken, shoot the poor thing through the head and put it out of its misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.