• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Headless Chickens / Disgrace to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotty said:
SA are still going off their feet too much but to suggest they infringed more that Aus is looking for excuses.

Ah, nope, not looking for excuse since I think SA infringed more in the first game as well. I don't blame SA of course, I blame the ref for allowing the free for all.

Have a look at the tape of the first 30mins of the first game, and if you don't see SA coming in from the side and going off their feet at least twice as much as the Wallabies do, I'll take back my comment.

I was referring to game 2. I am saying the Boks did not go off their feet as much in game 2 because they committed more bodies and cleaned out earlier and more effective.

In Game one the Boks were clueless at the breakdown. I don't know what the fuck they were trying to do. In Game 2 we went back to the way we usually attack the breakdown - physical.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
naza said:
Blue said:
Conclusion: breakdowns are still a disaster and in any match it will always appear like on team comes off better than another.

Where are the ELV lovers now ?

Is the breakdown that much more of a fuckup? I think not.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
barbarian said:
Naza, you conveniently overlooked the fact that Elsom performs pretty well in those stats- 4th in tackles, 5th in offloads, 3rd in R&Ms, 5th in metres, 2nd in runs.

Not too shabby for such a terrible player ;)
Hmm, so does Tuqiri. So do you still like those stats? I'm sure you have a rational answer, Naza?
You can't have it both ways and crow about Palu's stats and ignore others'.

R

Rugby Rat

NTA said:
Rugby Rat said:
formeropenside said:
Rugby Rat said:
Houston on the way....Sure he is only young yet.

Houston needs to lift his defence and workrate. That or move to LHP.
Certainly big enough for the job.

Well shit then I'm second in line if size is the criteria :) Mongrel is what we're lacking lads....
LOL...Houston is only young yet. 22. Has the genes if he can find the fitness. QLD has a happy knack of producing great hard working forwards so he is in the right state.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
Hmm, so does Tuqiri. So do you still like those stats? I'm sure you have a rational answer, Naza?
You can't have it both ways and crow about Palu's stats and ignore others'.

My rational answer is that you guys are living in denial and this is a deadset conspiracy ! Just admit it - Palu does a lot more work than you guys realise/give him credit for.

Tuqiri's stats aren't overwhelming. No surprise he makes the metres he does. Fullbacks in the NRL often are the top yard getters because they count the easy metres you make before reaching the defence. Palu's are the hardest yards. There should be a formula that multiplies hard yards quotient by yards gained. But that would just shame girly men like Elsom.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, there should be a formula that simply analyses distance made over the advantage line i.e. acutal metres gained, not just run.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Naza I used to take delight in laughing at Rocky Elsom's selection, I had him down as an autistic player (Skilled but unable to use them because of basic stupidity). He's cleaned his act up, he's using those skills and the Robblies missed him at Eden Park. You're being silly about it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think there is much point talking to Naza about Elsom or Palu. He isn't going to change his mind, and seems to be an 'extremist' in his views of a lot of players - either they are great, or complete rubbish. Mostly they are somewhere in between, but his views certainly stir up the debate.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is no way Tahu should be starting test matches against tier 1 teams right now. He is a bench player at best at the moment. Starting a test match is so different to coming off the pine. Naza used the word composure or lack thereof, and starting a test and soaking up the pressure in that forst 10-15mins is so important I guess to setting the tone for the crucial final 15mins leading into half time. Tahu is simply not ready or experienced to deal with that yet. The skill set is definitely there though.

Definitely would prefer if I were Deans, the Mortlock/Cross midfield. I thik Cross has the temperament that is required at test level. Add to that an efficient tackling game and he could be a world class centre. Mortlock at 12 won't have the pressure of trying to rush the line beause Tahu was out of position/bad timing, or if he feels the urge to.

Waugh got smashed at the collision. Bt the fact Palu and even Elsom (+the T5) were sucking in the big ones didn't help the cause at the breakdown.

The Boks simply got clean and quick ball far to often and that tells me that OZ had next to no numbers at the tackle to disrupt the Bok ball, and that the reaction on defence was too slow, as the ball got spread wide far to quickly.

Well played Boks

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
ACT is this the first post after the test?

I read somewhere Tahu wanted to hang himself after the first one.

Me and my Perth Turbs friend , I think had a differense about the best 12 between Nunu & Jean de Villiers sometime ago. Altho myself biased and knowing Jeans rugby from schoolboy he surely played one of the best games of rugby I can remember. He is quite big and strong but his best asset in the Bok total picture is that he aint a selfies kind of 12. Think Tahu wont forget his name and the only thing I can penalise Jean was the one time when Cross sort of run over him, but other then that he had a blinder.

I dont know which 12 Deans will use be he surely will have to pick a big defender against Smith & Nunu. Myself rate Gits as the best 12 in the business but its to late now to use him in that role.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Paarl,

They don't have to be big, they just have to be able to tackle. If Barnes manages to pull through, I have no doubt he will be picked. If he doesn't, then it will almost definately be Mortlock, and that will be a very interesting match-up - both players will have their hands full.

Hopefully if Mortlock gets picked, Gits uses him running back on the angle at Carter all night (I know he'll make the tackles, but we have to make it a hard game for him). With Mortlock straightening it up from 12, Gits will have the option of the FB or blind winger angling outside. Not sure if Mitchell or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will get the nod for FB - but I hope the number of bombs are cut in half.

T

Turban

PaarlBok said:

Me and my Perth Turbs friend , I think had a differense about the best 12 between Nunu & Jean de Villiers sometime ago. Altho myself biased and knowing Jeans rugby from schoolboy he surely played one of the best games of rugby I can remember. He is quite big and strong but his best asset in the Bok total picture is that he aint a selfies kind of 12. Think Tahu wont forget his name and the only thing I can penalise Jean was the one time when Cross sort of run over him, but other then that he had a blinder.

I dont know which 12 Deans will use be he surely will have to pick a big defender against Smith & Nunu. Myself rate Gits as the best 12 in the business but its to late now to use him in that role.

Jean has shown some things but i'll never call him the best in the world. He just makes too many mistakes for me. Playing against Tahu he looked like a legend but then again I suspect Nonu would have too.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Turban said:
PaarlBok said:

Jean has shown some things but i'll never call him the best in the world. He just makes too many mistakes for me. Playing against Tahu he looked like a legend but then again I suspect Nonu would have too.
Well thats your opinion but surely if you look at the way Jean played well all season he is surely the best 12 in the SH. Dont know if you find better in the NH. Nunu much more agressive in attack , thats when his hands dont let him down but Jean a more distributor the NuNu. Jean will make the brake and pass 60% of the time, NuNu will break and keep the ball 90% and thats the differense between these two. I'll give Nunu credit for maybe a better defender but for skills and hands , it surely have to be Jean.

We'll see in any event the way Nunu will perform against the Wallabies. Surely the Cartell will make a copy of the Bokke pattern in the Coke Can and they have to players to be in a position to even make a better feast of it. Carter (boms), Nunu & Conrad in midfield and of course McAwe at the breakdowns. Going to be a tough ride for the Aussies, make no mistake.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Turban said:
PaarlBok said:

Well thats your opinion but surely if you look at the way Jean played well all season he is surely the best 12 in the SH. Dont know if you find better in the NH. Nunu much more agressive in attack , thats when his hands dont let him down but Jean a more distributor the NuNu. Jean will make the brake and pass 60% of the time, NuNu will break and keep the ball 90% and thats the differense between these two. I'll give Nunu credit for maybe a better defender but for skills and hands , it surely have to be Jean.

We'll see in any event the way Nunu will perform against the Wallabies. Surely the Cartell will make a copy of the Bokke pattern in the Coke Can and they have to players to be in a position to even make a better feast of it. Carter (boms), Nunu & Conrad in midfield and of course McAwe at the breakdowns. Going to be a tough ride for the Aussies, make no mistake.

*Cough*AxisofIwiwhowontheHECnotClermontAuvergne*cough*

Just as long as you wear that tie next time you see him, Oom... >:D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
*Cough*AxisofIwiwhowontheHECnotClermontAuvergne*cough*

Just as long as you wear that tie next time you see him, Oom... >:D
Thats why I dont mention the NH because I am a bit blind to that lot. :thumb Look like you enjoy four seasons in a week in the CL dorpie. :nta: Back to the Jean vs NuNu one myself would have love to see Carter with Jean, that would be a great combo.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
PB - yes first post on TYS about that test. Made one post on TSF as well.

I really like JDV's game. In this years S14 I think what he showed in his play and leadership a step up from being just a goodish player, to a genuine star of the game. I think he has a good mix of running straight with ball in hand, as well as a decent link man. I still think that the JDV/Fourie midfield when on is one of the best in world rugby, because Fourie is an underated passer. Unfortunately for Bok supporters and coaches they haven't had much time together this season.

As for the 2nd 5 debate, bring back Mauger I say......

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
PaarlBok said:
ACT Crusader said:
As for the 2nd 5 debate, bring back Mauger I say......
Obvious not a big NuNu fan then. :nta:

Not at all. More just a jibe as posters were probably expecting a Canterbury/Saders fan to write something about a Cant/Saders player :)

I've been one of Nonu's biggest supporters over the years, even to the point of arguing his qualities against all the naysayers. I guess I didn't have inflated expectations of him like others, so they were bitterly disappointed when he made mistakes. At the end of the day all players make mistakes.

I think with Nonu, JDV, Barnes there are 3 fairly differnt players that are genuine quality 2nd 5s. But for all nations beyond those 3 it gets a bit iffy on "next cabs off the rank".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Naza

You have basically said the aus side is shit, who would you replace them with?

A hooker, THP, a 6, another backrower, the halves, the back three and a reserve back.

Just who would you replace them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.