• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Cup 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ulster beat Leicester overnight, Leicester had the majority of possession but could only breach the Ulster defence once. Ruan Piennar scored all 22 of Ulsters points who came back from 10 down with 25 minutes left. Ulster qualify top seeds and will have the pleasure of being the team to knock out Globo Gym at Ravenhill.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It was an excellent display and result for Ulster and they'll fancy their chances of making the semis with Sarries at home in the QF.

Sarries demolished Connacht 64-6 today scoring 11 tries and it would have been a bigger score if Hodgson's performance with the boot matched his excellent passing game.

Other than the scoreline the big talking point from the game was the stamp by Connacht prop White on Barritt. He definitely made contact with the head and it should have been a red card not a yellow.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Valiant effort from Glasgow, but the same shit that has been going on for more than a decade. Reasonable defence, good movement in attack, but an inability to finish off movements are compounded by stupid mistakes.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My self and my dad were watching the Glasgow and Toulon game on the TV. Glasgow did well to fight their way back into the game and had a sustained period of pressure right at the end. But as soon as they had to start again from outside the 22 I said to my Dad that it was all over because Glasgow would do something stupid now. The words were hardly out of my mouth when Weir hit that stupid kick that went out and ended the game.

There is definitely ability in the Glasgow team but against the big English and French teams they lack the patience & belief and as a consequence aren't as clinical as you need to be to claim a big scalp.

Once they do manage it they'll be a different force in Europe. Belief doesn't automatically win you games, but a lack of it certainly has cost many a team a game that was there for the taking down through the years.

Glasgow have the makings of a good team and that one result along with 1 or 2 smart acquisitions for the pack and they could become pool contenders in the future pan-European competition once all the posturing by the clubs is sorted out.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quarter Final matches to be played on the 4/5/6th of April:

1. Ulster v Saracens
2. Clermont v Leicester
3. Toulon v Leinster
4. Munster v Toulouse

Semi Final Draw:

1v2
3v4

Semi Finals will be played 26/27th April.

Amazingly strong draw. Generally 3/4 home teams win in the QFs. You'd be hard pressed to pick who will be the one away winner from that lot. Every one of them have a chance of making the semi finals.

Clermont have a 71 game home unbeaten run, but Leicester ended Munster's long unbeaten HEC record so they have form.

Leinster have the carrot of a home semi final to spur them on.

Toulouse have looked out of sorts in the HEC over the last few seasons but when they click they're an immense team.

Sarries will certainly be confident going to Ulster having just scored 11 tries against Connacht but Raven Hill is a very different prospect to the sterile environment of Alliance Park.

If this is to be the last year of the HEC it's really going out with a bang.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Have to say the top 8 is the fairest finish you could have picked. No major upsets, just goes to show the highest runners up spots depends on the quality of the group.
Hope Keith Earle injury isn't serious, Zero was impressive when he came on. A little worried about facing Leinster in the semi finals in Dublin.

I am a betting man but this is one to stay away from, no idea who will make the final let alone win.

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Have to say the top 8 is the fairest finish you could have picked. No major upsets, just goes to show the highest runners up spots depends on the quality of the group.
Hope Keith Earle injury isn't serious, Zero was impressive when he came on. A little worried about facing Leinster in the semi finals in Dublin.

I am a betting man but this is one to stay away from, no idea who will make the final let alone win.

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk
Apparently Earls' injury is not as bad as first thought, he has gone up to the Ireland camp and is being treated there so fingers crossed. Zebo will have to be called up after yesterday when he was different class in every aspect of the game including defence. I think the kick up the posterior has had the desired affect, thank God.

M

Muttonbird

Can anyone explain why the Heineken Cup, which was supposed to be the most successful regional comp in the world, has been canned?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can anyone explain why the Heineken Cup, which was supposed to be the most successful regional comp in the world, has been canned?

Has not been canned, English clubs have been crying all yeah that they are leaving to start their own European competition. At this stage no other nations clubs are committed to joining them.

All started when they sold the rights to their European matched to a tv station with out owning the rights to sell, so they have been trying desperately to get a comp going with no support from the Unions.

M

Muttonbird

The month between games doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps the English clubs are onto something here.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The month between games doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps the English clubs are onto something here.

It's always been the case, they do have the Premiership, Top 14 and Rabo Direct as well as 6 Nations in the middle. Current Heineken Cup format does work, just needs a bit of change in regards to qualifying goes.

M

Muttonbird

Multiple competitions running at the same time is not something we do here in the Southern Hemisphere. It's weird.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Multiple competitions running at the same time is not something we do here in the Southern Hemisphere. It's weird.

I know, the European squads are normally a lot larger though. They still play games in the leagues during the International periods as well.

It's set up a lot similar to Soccer in regards to multiple competitions at once.

My favorite time in the Heineken Cup is the back to back groups games against the same team, playing each other home and away in consecutive weeks makes for great viewing.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's not as if its unheard of.

Sheffield Shield, Ryobi Cup and Big Bash all occur at the same time along with the tours to Australia. Technically they are all different formats, but the principle (one competition stopping so another can be played with some/all teams/players competing).

M

Muttonbird

That's the worst of it creeping in. Right now it's just an international window (which even then wasn't required in a Super 12 season), but what next? A complete dog's dinner, like Europe seems to have?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's the worst of it creeping in. Right now it's just an international window (which even then wasn't required in a Super 12 season), but what next? A complete dog's dinner, like Europe seems to have?

Don't see anyone in Europe complaining about the length of the season, the going back to competitions at different times. They all have more passion for there clubs.

Just look at how many Irish players have been turning down massive French money to stay with Munster/Leinster and Ulster.

Status
Not open for further replies.