• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Cup 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I love the European season's structure. The fact that in the HEC you might see the current top of the Pro12 v top of the Premiership or Top14 in the HEC. Teams come straight from league games in HEC and you get to see them go head to head when they're in top form.

After belting the crap out of each other in the 6Ns players then return to their clubs for the knockout stages of the HEC where it's equally possible to be playing alongside or against a guy you've just had a run in with in a 6Ns game.

I also like how younger players and wider squad member get a game because the club/provincial seasons just keeps on going.

I really enjoy watching Super Rugby but the 2 major draw backs (for me personally as a rugby nut) stem from the fact they've only got the one competition. First the season is so short, comparatively. Second even though it's a short season some teams have nothing to play for long before the end.

The Top 14 and Premiership are still exciting for ever team because someone is trying to make finals, qualify for European competitions or avoid relegation. The Pro12 should be more exciting with the new qualification process. Plus I'm hoping in a few years time there will be a 2nd tier with promotion and relegation.

Outside of the major club/provincial competitions there's also stuff like the Challenge Cup and the LV Cup for lesser teams and younger players to get more game time in.

I'm really happy to have so much rugby going on all at the same time as I absolutely love it. If competitions were all compartmentalised I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I like how players talk about having to step up their game to be able to compete in the HEC even when their team is demolishing teams in the league.

The season up north is probably too long. But I'm like a fat kid with all the sweets, I'm not going to voluntarily give any of them up.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't see anyone in Europe complaining about the length of the season, the going back to competitions at different times. They all have more passion for there clubs.

Just look at how many Irish players have been turning down massive French money to stay with Munster/Leinster and Ulster.

Is it mainly to do with tax implications?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not for some of the guys now, still only mid way through there career and saying no.

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

Pablo Escobar

Frank Row (1)
Is it mainly to do with tax implications?
It's unlikely that's it's to do with our tax implications, but more likely the French tax implications. The low tax rates that have hit the news in Ireland are Corporation tax rates. The income tax is much closer to normal. The French income tax, however, is abnormally high leading clubs to play even further inflated wages to attract the best players. Rugby is bad, but Soccer is ludicrous with PSG paying players unheard of wages. So, in short, it's probably easier for Irish players to remain in Ireland and they'll be looked after better. This is probably the major reason that they're choosing to remain.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It's unlikely that's it's to do with our tax implications, but more likely the French tax implications. The low tax rates that have hit the news in Ireland are Corporation tax rates. The income tax is much closer to normal. The French income tax, however, is abnormally high leading clubs to play even further inflated wages to attract the best players. Rugby is bad, but Soccer is ludicrous with PSG paying players unheard of wages. So, in short, it's probably easier for Irish players to remain in Ireland and they'll be looked after better. This is probably the major reason that they're choosing to remain.
And the player Welfare programme. The tax rebate applies to playing outside of Ireland as well now, BTW. Peter Stringer will get his rebate even if he finishes his career at Bath.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also on the tax in France the 75% bracket was changed so that's it's the employer/club who have to pay and not the employee/player for salaries over €1m.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone else watching the Munster vs Toulouse match? Just tuned in after 45 minutes and Munster looked like they were in control at 27-9. But the impetus seems to be with Toulouse now, with Gear's try.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Munster's really was an emphatic win. Apart from a short flurry after Gear's try Toulouse were 2nd best.

I didn't see the Clermont game but it seems they really had to hang on in the end as Leicester attempted to come back.

Currently watching Ulster v Sarries (Half time 9-5 to Ulster). It was difficult to see how Ulster would get into a position to win after Payne was sent off after 4 minutes.

They've done fantastically well with 14 men and additionally having lose Best to injury. Then they have Pinear who's clearly struggling with injury.

Sarries try was very well worked. Hodgeson having to come on might be a blessing in disguise for Sarries as he offers more at 10 with ball in hand than Farrell. Farrell has so far had a poor night from the kicking tee.

Billy Vunipola has been very destructive for Sarries and it may be a case of Ulster trying to hang on until he goes off around 55 minutes and then we might see Ferris coming on for Ulster and he can cause some chaos going the other way.

Still it's very difficult to see Ulster holding out for the full 80 with 14 men. If they do it will be one of the all time great HEC performances.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The difference between the SH and NH is mainly the red cards. There's no way that would've been red in a Super Rugby game, in fact not even sure it would've been a yellow. Looked very similar to Buckman's contest on Bryce Hegarty.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The difference between the SH and NH is mainly the red cards. There's no way that would've been red in a Super Rugby game, in fact not even sure it would've been a yellow. Looked very similar to Buckman's contest on Bryce Hegarty.

Actually think the Hegarty/Buckmans was worse, really destroyed the game for Ulster. Some effort to finish so close. As for that knob on the wing I can't wait till he does what the Japanese 7's player did last week.

Great win by Munster. Hope Leinster win tonight to set up a massive semi for Irish rugby.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
So it falls to Munster to fight for Ireland in the HEC semi finals. So many great performances out of Munster players yesterday but Conor Murray really is turning into a world class player, his play for Laulala's try was as good as you will see from anyone including Genia, Smith or Care.

Status
Not open for further replies.