• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cardiff lost after leading 24-9 to Sale who haven't won a game in Aviva so far. Strange decision to go for goal when down by 4 with 1min 30 left to go.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score Northampton 24-15. The Saints started the second half as they finished with Myler scoring a try within the first 4 minutes. Although a back scored it was surges from the forwards that created the cry making ground and sucking in defenders. Most of their front 5 touched the ball including captain Hartley who gave the final pass to exploit a massive overlap on the left.

Glasgow then soaked up pressure for another 25 minutes without offering too much in attack. The loss of Jackson at fly-half who pulled the strings in the first half was a big blow. Hartley almost scored the 4th try for the bonus point with about 12 minutes to go but as he stretched for the line through a tangle of legs he dropped the ball. A few minutes later then had their bonus point with an aggressive pass from Ryan Lamb creating a break out wide, Myler who shifted back to fullback to accommodate Lamb then gave the pass for Russian wing Artemeyev to go over in the corner.

Glasgow put in a good performance but there's still work for them to do if they are to be considered more than just a potential banana skin. Northampton and Ulster were seen as the two most likely teams to come out of this pool and both have started with bonus point wins. Still lots of tough games to go in this pool though.

Looks like today will be a much better advertisement for the HEC than yesterday. This one was pretty good but Sale v Cardiff looks a cracker with Sale coming back from 24-12 down at half time to win 34-33. Not often someone scores a hat-trick and finishes on the losing side but that happen to Alex Cuthbert today. Sale managed their first win of the season in the most unbelievable fashion, bet you really enjoyed that one Qwerty.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
northampton come back excellently. Can't believe cardiff lost to sale who have been gash recently. The Toulouse v Lecister fixture will be the match of the round. The atmosphere is always pumping whenever the fans go to the football stadium.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First half Toulouse v Leicester really has been a tight battle, currently 11-9 to Toulouse. Poitrenaud almost gifted Leicester a try when he kicked the ball along the ground from behind his own line right to Toby Flood who was denied only by a brave diving tackle from Huget.

The two sides traded a couple of penalties each before Steenkamp was yellow carded for a cynical trip as Leicester looked to take a quick 22. Leicester then took the lead a few minutes later when Flood landed a long range penalty from just inside his own half. That apart Toulouse ran down the clock on the sin bin well and just as it was ending they struck to take the lead.

18 year old Gael Fickou showed great composure to pounce on a loose ball spilled by Leicester then kick on and won the chase to retrieve the ball. He then outsprinted a few Leicester chasers to score out wide.

Hasn't been a try fest but the game has lived up to it's billing so far, either of these 2 could come away with the win.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score Toulouse 23 Leicester 9. Leicester's display can be summed up by the performance of both Youngs. In the first half Toulouse exploited Ben's tendency to take a couple of steps before passing to put extra pressure on Leicester while they were in possession. In the 2nd half Ben tried to be more direct and lift the tempo.

Some good runs by Tuilagi early in the half created some holes in the Toulouse defence but Leicester couldn't take advantage of it and Tuilagi faded from the game as the half went on. One of the best moments of this weekend was Huget's step on Tuilagi as Huget carried the ball over his own try line with Tuilagi in hot pursuit. Hopefully it makes the highlight reel on the ERC website.

Unfortunately Ben's decision to take a quick tap was pivotal. The score was 14-9 at the time and Leicester had just won a penalty right in from of the posts and had a chance to get back within 2. Ben tapped and went for the line but knocked on and turned the ball over. From the scrum Toulouse drove Leicester backwards and gave a real lift to the pack and the crowd.

This led to a period of domination in the scrum for Toulouse that ultimately led directly and indirectly to the penalties that won the game for them and denied Leicester a losing bonus point. McAllister was in good form with the boot and was happy to kick over some gifted easy points. Some of those gifts came from the other Youngs, hooker Tom who gave away some silly needless penalties.

Another big factor in the 2nd half was the decision by Richard Cokerill to start Waldrom at 7 in an unbalanced back row in a bid to get his best available players on the pitch. IN the first half when possession was equal it wasn't as noticable, but in the 2nd Toulouse had the lions share of the ball and Leicester found it very hard to get it back.

Ben Youngs weekend went from bad to worse when he slipped on the wet surface and went head first into the back of Tolofua's knee bringing the full weight of the big man down on his head.

Toulouse will feel please with the win but also denying their rivals a losing bonus point from the game. Next Sunday's game against Ospreys just got even more important for Leicester.

D

daz

Quick shout out to Bordeaux's Cameron Treloar on the occasion of his judiciary hearing in Paris tomorrow, for swatting a fly (and missing) and earning a red card 2 weeks ago.

Good luck, you big lump! Good to see you get an all-expenses paid trip to Paris for what will be a whole lot of nothing.

What has French rugby become? Not long ago you needed to perform testicular removal on your opposite number just to earn a penalty.

:D

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Still after last year’s exploits Ulster would have viewed this season’s competition with a renewed optimism. However, with Northampton in the same pool, they don’t have to look too far for a reminder of how beaten finalists can struggle in the following year’s competition.

etc etc

Bardon - you have done some outstanding writing on the HC in this thread.

I wondered why you never gave credit to the source of the preview posts you did and it finally dawned on me that it was original stuff. The match reports are terrific too.

I have just had time to view all the HC matches available on TV here plus the Munster and Clermont games - 8 in all and the highlights package from Setanta; so I have stayed away from this thread until now, not wanting to give myself a spoiler.

Your Ulster lads looked in top form and it's good to see that Jarryd Payne is healthy again this season after missing most of last. He is going to give your guys some zing in the Rabo and HC this season.

That was a top effort by Ulster for the bonus point win at the end. [I don't think Pienaar would have to buy too many drinks in Belfast, would he?]

Leinster was fortunate to beat Exeter 9-6. That 48 metre penalty by Mieres to tie the game in the 82nd minute had the legs but not the direction, and the Chiefs, now my favourite Premiership team, deserved a draw. The score line indicates a boring match but it had some good rugby.

I like the looks of that 18 y.o. Toulouse centre Fickou. I think we are going to see a lot of him, with Fofana of Clermont, in the France midfield in years to come.

Toulouse have a lot of top young players don't they? 18 y.o hooker Tolofua will be in the French team for a long time if he learns to throw the ball to the lineout straight. At 117kgs he is a young mongrel and is going to run over a lot of people.

I like another young Toulouse player, no.8 Galan, though I haven't seen a lot of the 21 y.o. this year. If he can lose a bit of weight he could take over from Picamoles for both club and country down the track.

Talking of Picamoles: didn't he have a top HC game against Leicester?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Half time Scarlets 0 Leinster 11. Leinster have been in better form than last week's display against Exeter. Their try came from pressure in Scarlets 22 compressing the Scarlets defensive line. Then Sexton put up the crossfield kick to Necewa who got a start on North who'd moved infield. Necewa gathered and North hit him in the air as they crossed the try line. Necewa did well to get the ball down but it probably would have been a penalty try if it hadn't been awarded by the touch judge.

Leinster have been sharper and more aggressive at the breakdown but they haven't had it all their own way. Scarlets went close to scoring in the corner when Readan slid to knock the ball out of North's hands as he was stretching to gather and dot down. If Scarlets can be more accurate in the 2nd half they could get themselves back into the game and cause a bit of an upset.

For Leinster Heaslip has been pretty busy and Sexton has had a good half. Maddigan has been impressive filling in at full back with Jennings strong at the breakdown. Priestland has had a good game especially some very accurate kicking from hand and he could yet spark the Scarlets comeback.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
IN the other game being played at the moment Treviso are half way to an amazing upset leading 4 teims HEC winners Toulouse 18-9. But 40 minutes is a long time for Toulouse to turn it around and they've made a number of subs for the 2nd half.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
It took 55 minutes for the sleeping giant to stir but it finally did. Toulouse minced the Treviso pack, finally getting a penalty try. That seemed to fire them up because they hadn't looked much like crossing the line. Bang, bang, 33-21, game over. Ironically, Treviso gave Toulouse more trouble than Leicester did last week. But that's the nature of taking on Treviso at home. They field the cream of the Italy-based Italian team and they play very solid, well organised rugby. The Toulouse hooker could be facing a holiday for tipping a Treviso player upside down and dropping him.

Next up I've got Biarritz -v- Zebre. Biarritz, though missing injured players, shouldn't have any trouble. Zebre, the second Italian team in the HC, is last season's Aironi re-branded.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score Scarlets 13 Leinster 20. Leinster didn't have it all their own way in the 2nd half as Scarlets pegged them back. First a penalty from Priestland then the best move of the game from Scarlets. From a lineout Scarlets moved the ball quickly then Maule managed to stand O'Driscoll up and exploited the space to sprint to the line. That put Scarlets back to within 4.

Sexton gave Leinster a little breathing room with a monster drop goal from the half way line. Leinster used their experience and their superiority in the scrum to twice march Scarlets pack back 10 metres and win a penalty. Sexton got one of them to briefly put Scarlets out of losing bonus point range. Leinster's domination in the scrum was one factor in Mike Ross being awarded man of the match.

A silly piece of play when Maddigan backed into Williams and took him out in the air led to a yellow card and 3 points for Scarlets courtesy of Priestland's boot. At that stage Scarlets had Leinster rattled and it looked like Scarlets would have one last go when they won a penalty in the last minute. Priestland chose to kick for the corner from just inside his own half. He over cooked the kick and it went dead effectively ending Scarlets chance.

Leinster are still in search of an 80 minute performance but they've got 2 wins from 2. Scarlets are facing elimination but can still be a big influence in the rest of the pool.

In the other game on at the same time Treviso couldn't hang on against Toulouse losing 33-21.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Saracens 30 Racing 13. First half was pretty one sided with Saracens looking comfortable. A well worked try by Wyles and a rare try from Steve Borthwick gave then a 20-3 half time lead.

IN the 2nd half Saracens took their foot off the gas a little and Racing decided they wanted to play. A try by Imhoff left them within touching distance. They took control in the scrum running over the Sarries pack at one scrum. There was a pretty exciting 20 minute period then up popped Fraser to run in a try with less than 10 minute left.

Racing seemed to lose interest then and Sarries were going for the 4th bonus point try. With about 2 minutes left they won a penalty about 15m out from the try line and it looked as if they'd kick for the corner. But there was some back chat from one of the Sarries players and Nigel Owens reversed the penalty. Good to see a Ref trying to stamp out something that's creeping into the game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Half time Connacht 19 Harlequins 24. One of the best halfs of running rugby I've seen all year. Connacht started well and scored the first try when a lovely floated pass from Dan Parks put David McSharry through a hole as he cut back inside. He then had the pace to run to the line and under the posts. At one point Connacht led 19-14 and were looking good with some nice runs from Marmion and Vainikolo.

Quins hit back with 2 tries from Danny Care who's now score 3 tries in their first 2 games equaling his haul in his previos 20 odd HEC games. Care's first try was a slick move that saw him race over to finish. His 2nd had a bit more grunt about it as he dived over from a ruck on Connacht's line.

Towards the end of the half Quins also started to boss the scrum as well as take charge of the match. Connacht will have to get back to how they played at the start of the game to get back into this one.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score Connacht 22 Harlequins 30. No tries in the 2nd half but still some good running rugby with a non stop pace. Harlequins got a measure of revenge for last year's defeat against Connacht that effectively put them out of the HEC but also they've put themselves in a great position in the pool. Connacht can hold their heads high after a great performance with a lot of young promising talent in their team.

Connacht have shown they no longer look out of place at this level but Quins have shown they can be a force in the knock out stages.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
LG's favourite premiership side Exeter Chiefs were leading Clermont 12-10 at oranges. Clermont proved too much class an scored 36 unanswered points in the second half, to earn a 46-12 bonus point win.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Predictably, Biarritz had too much quality at home for Zebre winning 38-17 on a boggy pitch in pouring rain. Daniel Halangahu, ex-Tahs, started at 12 for Zebre after starting at 15 last week, and has goal-kicking duties. Thus far, on two sightings, his handling has let him down. That aside, his challenge is going to be the language. Non-native forwards can get away without much Italian in rugby here but it's a different story amongst the backs. Everything is organised in Italian.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Saracens hosting Racing at Heysel Stadium in Brussels, this Sunday morning.

Is there a more godawful team to watch on this planet than Racing Metro who look and play like a bunch of fat thugs with no skills? Never seen so many overweight rugby players. Forwards and backs. Team's a mess with the Coach relieved of his duties and off in the South of France on holiday.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
etc etc

Bardon - you have done some outstanding writing on the HC in this thread.

I wondered why you never gave credit to the source of the preview posts you did and it finally dawned on me that it was original stuff. The match reports are terrific too.

I have just had time to view all the HC matches available on TV here plus the Munster and Clermont games - 8 in all and the highlights package from Setanta; so I have stayed away from this thread until now, not wanting to give myself a spoiler.

Your Ulster lads looked in top form and it's good to see that Jarryd Payne is healthy again this season after missing most of last. He is going to give your guys some zing in the Rabo and HC this season.

That was a top effort by Ulster for the bonus point win at the end. [I don't think Pienaar would have to buy too many drinks in Belfast, would he?]

Leinster was fortunate to beat Exeter 9-6. That 48 metre penalty by Mieres to tie the game in the 82nd minute had the legs but not the direction, and the Chiefs, now my favourite Premiership team, deserved a draw. The score line indicates a boring match but it had some good rugby.

I like the looks of that 18 y.o. Toulouse centre Fickou. I think we are going to see a lot of him, with Fofana of Clermont, in the France midfield in years to come.

Toulouse have a lot of top young players don't they? 18 y.o hooker Tolofua will be in the French team for a long time if he learns to throw the ball to the lineout straight. At 117kgs he is a young mongrel and is going to run over a lot of people.

I like another young Toulouse player, no.8 Galan, though I haven't seen a lot of the 21 y.o. this year. If he can lose a bit of weight he could take over from Picamoles for both club and country down the track.

Talking of Picamoles: didn't he have a top HC game against Leicester?

Hey Lee some excellent observation as usual from yourself. On Pienaar I'd say his performances last year already earned him all the free beer he can manage, the bonus point try probably got him the packet of crisps/nuts to go with the beer.

My team Leinster I am a little worried about. Haven't played well but won 2 from 2. People talking about that's what champions do but I can't help thinking about Munster last year. It's alright winning tight games through hard work but unless you can spark and discover some form you'll be found out later in the competition. Our run has to end sometime.

Fikou was excellent his run for his try was excellent and he reminded me of Fofana's impact last year. They certainly would make an impressive midfield. France seem to have a lot of good young backs coming through at the moment but they are still missing someone to play 10. There was an interesting point made by one of the commentators on a game this weekend, he basically said that the fact France have so many good scrum halfs who are comfortable being the kicker is holding back their development of a quality 10.

Exeter got a real welcome to the HEC yesterday from Clermont. They really know what HEC rugby is all about now. They did really well against us in the opening round and they deserved a draw, but that doesn't mean I wasn't willing them to miss that kick at the death. I think it's good it happened to them so early as they can put it behind them and say everyone expected us to get a spanking at some point now let's put it up to them for the rest of the pool.

Tolofua was very impressive and if he keeps developing then he could join a long list of international hookers who are picked on their all round game but have a bit of a dodgy throw, certainly wouldn't be the first. But if someone sorts out his throwing now then he could develop into the best in the world.

Galan looks an excellent prospect but Picamoles is showing he's not ready to step aside any time soon.

I think this year will be a hell of a competition. Leinster are looking to stretch it to 3 in a row but the teams I've been impressed with are Saracens who I think are the best equipped of the English sides, Clermont who've finally gotten what the HEC is all about and Ulster who've looked the best of the Pro12 teams so far. It's early days and who knows who'll emerge as potential champions as the pool progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.