• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Waratahs - R5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale was responsible for the Ben Smith try. He missed a one on one tackle and that was no one's fault but his.

The Naholo try was due to Folau coughing up the ball in contact to Fekitoa. Neither Carraro nor Beale had the pace to get a decent attempt on Naholo. Beale could have maybe made a better attempt to ankle tap him because he wasn't in position to make a tackle but either way, the damage was done already.

The Osborne try was the result of Potgieter rushing out of the line and being made to look silly. It was a terrible defensive play and we were too close to our line for their to be any cover defence.

I thought Potgieter had a shocker. He was trying to hurt people rather than being efficient at the breakdown and his exuberance got in the way of making the percentage plays.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok fellas was away so just watched game, very entertaining, though I do wonder if Cheika would want those tactics by Wallabies, Tahs seemed to have one plan in defence snot A Smith however they could. I was interested to notice in lead up to Kefu getting carded if you watch Tahs 13 on the ground attempt to foot trip Smith as he came into to pick the ball, suspect if he had been successful and ref had seen it , would maybe a red card, then there were 2 shoulder charges, one by Hooper and one by the overated one (Potgetier). But anyway as I said pretty entertaining, thought for the Clan Fekitoa continues to show his ability, obviously their back 3 are pretty handy, A Smith is a reasonable 9, and their forwards just give a 100%. For the Tahs, I thought Skelton seemed to go well, was doing a lot of his carrying of the ball 1 off where I think he should be, though he generally was knocked over he went ok, Kefu lucky not to get red for second cardable offence when refs miised his shoulder charge on Fekitoa, but all in all most went ok without being outstanding. Beales defense needs a bit of work though!

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Gareth Evans, the last minute Highlanders replacement flanker, played a full 80 minutes earlier in the afternoon for the development squad. The 2-3 pints he had after his first game didn't seem to do him much harm.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Gareth Evans, the last minute Highlanders replacement flanker, played a full 80 minutes earlier in the afternoon for the development squad. The 2-3 pints he had after his first game didn't seem to do him much harm.
The points may explosion why he feel over and couldn't get up at every waratah ruck [/trolling]

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The points may explosion why he feel over and couldn't get up at every waratah ruck [/trolling]

A few beers before the game might explain the waratah player who saw him crawling on the ground, head down, getting out of the way, and went after him. Never mind it was still game on. But not the only cheap shot put in by a 'tah. (hows that for trolling).

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
A few beers before the game might explain the waratah player who saw him crawling on the ground, head down, getting out of the way, and went after him. Never mind it was still game on. But not the only cheap shot put in by a 'tah. (hows that for trolling).
Not bad. I'd say if he's allowed to be there as part of the ruck, louisi is allowed to clean him out, even if he is behind the halfback

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Every one is entitled to their opinion, but I think people are looking out for reasons to criticise Beale rather than looking at his actual play.

As I've said before: BR is pushing this line - and has been for a couple of seasons now - because he wants a 10/12 Brumby combination.

Hopefully, if BR gets his wish, neither of them are required to kick at goal.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To his credit, its an idea that represents everything about Canberra: slightly weird to look at, unoriginal, and perpetuated on the basis of backroom politics while shouting "PLEASE NOTICE ME!!!" in the face of logic.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Not bad. I'd say if he's allowed to be there as part of the ruck, louisi is allowed to clean him out, even if he is behind the halfback

He was on the wrong side of the ruck, out of the way and removing himself, yet Louisi still found it necessary to "clean him out". Hard to call what he did cleaning him out as Evans was not going to interfere with a pass by the halfback or prevent him getting clean ball. I would have thought Louisi's first priority would be to make himself available as a runner, protect his halfback or head out the backline, but that's just me. It wasn't the only brainfart of the night.

My impression is that the players were told to hit the highlanders hard and to take out the halfback if possible. That might explain all the shoulder charges, but they/Kepu probably should have been told to pick their moments a little better.

At the risk of sounding like a poor winner, I thought there were a lot of cheap shots in the game that didn't need to happen and were getting close to foul play.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
To his credit, its an idea that represents everything about Canberra: slightly weird to look at, unoriginal, and perpetuated on the basis of backroom politics while shouting "PLEASE NOTICE ME!!!" in the face of logic.
How original! Canberra bashing. How unlike you.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs we're disappointing - they talk about physicality all the time.

Where the fuck is it?

Tahs are but shouldn't be so confident.

The Ponies on form will beat them as we'll and the season starts to look shaky.

Maybe Cheka doing both jobs is a little too big, even for him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs we're disappointing - they talk about physicality all the time.

Where the fuck is it?

Tahs are but shouldn't be so confident.

The Ponies on form will beat them as we'll and the season starts to look shaky.

Maybe Cheka doing both jobs is a little too big, even for him.

Ponies beat us last year in the early rounds too (new thread open for that, BTW)
We were only 50% over the first half of the comp last year.
Don't win championships in March.

Our problems aren't terminal, unlike some.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ponies beat us last year in the early rounds too (new thread open for that, BTW)
We were only 50% over the first half of the comp last year.
Don't win championships in March.

Our problems aren't terminal, unlike some.

Mate agree that mine are !

But yours need to be addressed quickly otherwise the rot can be terminal.

You are in a much better position than I

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well yeah, the Reds, I suppose. Freudian slip. Double entendre. Whatever. Lynagh gave Genia a bollocking after the game, and he's right.

But moreso for us that the attitude is generally right, its just the execution is a bit slippy. Happened to us early last year too, but it just needed honing.

Better than the year before where we were trying too hard to get straight the outcome, not following the steps to get there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Every one is entitled to their opinion, but I think people are looking out for reasons to criticise Beale rather than looking at his actual play. He was very good last night in attack and involved in a lot of the attacking raids, of which there were many. I haven't rewatched every highlanders try but 99% of tacklers would have missed Naholo for his - he was at full speed and Beale was trying to get him in cover. Naholo is absolutely dynamite when given space, he looks as good as Savea. Jacpot was responsible for the Naholo try, not Beale.

Naholo was only centimetres inside the touch line when Beale made a grab for him. A half way decent shove using some shoulder as well as arms would have put him into touch. It was a very weak effort. And as far as his attack was concerned, it is definitely my impression that he simply shovelled the ball on with most of his touches. On balance, I think he was pretty poor while the rest of the team were better than the week before.

Status
Not open for further replies.