• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Waratahs - R5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The biggest problem for the Tahs is KB (Kurtley Beale)'s inability to tackle. Three missed tackles directly led to three tries.

Otherwise, a very competitive game.
No, it's easy to point at the guy missing a tackle, and ignore the root cause, which was our cheap turnovers we were giving the Highlanders through a combination of poor execution / knocks on and poor ruck security, which let the Highlanders have a field day. We needed a few guys ready to smash the 'Landers forwards coming through / around at breakdowns. Highlanders are too potent in attack and counter-attack to do that and win. Plus some variation with some pick and drive in close at times rather than going wide so quickly all the time. Plus the yellow card was at the worst time as it allowed the Highlanders pack to regroup and get some ground back from the back-pedalling they were doing before that.
Solid from the Highlanders, scratchy from the Tahs. I'd have been over the moon if we got a 4th try at the end and 2 or 3 points from that.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Come on Dismal, jump on the bandwagon. The Highlanders wear blue. Just squint a bit and pretend they are from Auckland.
i must admit i am insanely jealous of their team spirit and semblance of a game plan and actual coaching done during the week. Whata difference the HB makes, A.Smith is a whirling dervish of murderous execution while J.Cowan is just a wanderign handbrake making it all look like an uphill battle
Bullshit. It was the lack of forward penetration around the ruck, and the fact we played into their hands by going wide.
re Beale, damage done up front yes but when push came to shove, if Beale nails some of those fuckers, at a 7 pt final margin, they flat out win the game. He really shouldve had Naholo down the line, coming across he had him covered for all money. Also got hands on Osbourne after Potgieter raced out of the line like a drunken mule trying to flee in terror during the annual Pitcairns Wildlife Rooting Day.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i must admit i am insanely jealous of their team spirit and semblance of a game plan and actual coaching done during the week. Whata difference the HB makes, A.Smith is a whirling dervish or murderous execution while J.Cowan is just a wanderign handbrake making it all look like an uphill battle

re Beale, damage done up front yes but when push came to shove, if Beale nails some of those fuckers, at a 7 pt final margin, they flat out win the game. He really shouldve had Naholo down the line, coming across he had him covered for all money. Also got hands on Osbourne after Potgieter raced out of the line like a drunken mule trying to flee in terror during the annual Pitcairns Wildlife Rooting Day.
For sure, his defence, especially on that one, was pretty poor. But we shouldn't have been defending at least 2 of the Highlanders tries if we didn't hand the ball to them so bloody easily. Geez, Naholo is a big munter and can shift! Fark.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Worst game jouber has reefed in an age. Established good controll at the ruck in the first half and then let it go in the second. What ref doesn't award a try from a rolling maul?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Bullshit. It was the lack of forward penetration around the ruck, and the fact we played into their hands by going wide.

It's about time KB (Kurtley Beale) was held accountable by the Tahs and their fans for his sub-standard defensive efforts. He fell off those tackles andlet in three tries. The forwards didn't make him do it. But if that's bullshit, then we'll no doubt see more of it happening in coming matches.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Worst game jouber has reefed in an age. Established good controll at the ruck in the first half and then let it go in the second. What ref doesn't award a try from a rolling maul?

The one that doesn't see the ball grounded and asks the TMO for assistance I guess.....

I thought the breakdown work of the Tahs was surprisingly sloppy tonight. Lacked any real cohesion in attack and then had bodies flying in when it wasn't necessary. As someone else posted, the Landers fanned out fairly easily and organised well (except in the last 10 when they looked absolutely spent).

Foley was pedestrian tonight. Seemed hesitant to take the ball to the line.

Despite all that, the Tahs were still in it with minutes remaining. But the Dunners hoodoo continues.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's about time KB (Kurtley Beale) was held accountable by the Tahs and their fans for his sub-standard defensive efforts. He fell off those tackles andlet in three tries. The forwards didn't make him do it. But if that's bullshit, then we'll no doubt see more of it happening in coming matches.

You've completely missed my point, and cyclo's.

But we DO hold him accountable. He's accountable for a few missed tackles and a Super Rugby title. His defence isn't the best, but its better than it was, and his attack more than made up for it.

If we'd held the attacking structure we presented in the first two tries, we win that game without issue.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You've completely missed my point, and cyclo's.

But we DO hold him accountable. He's accountable for a few missed tackles and a Super Rugby title. His defence isn't the best, but its better than it was, and his attack more than made up for it.

If we'd held the attacking structure we presented in the first two tries, we win that game without issue.

I really haven't missed your point Pfitzy. I know you are saying the forwards slacked off and that was where the Highlanders won the game. That may well have a fair bit of truth in it, but my point is that KB (Kurtley Beale) was the tackler in three try scoring moves by the Highlanders and he missed all three. If you think that he made up for those errors with his attacking prowess tonight, then I have to disagree. On balance, I think he did more to hinder the Tahs tonight than to help them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No he's not saying he made up for it tonight, more than made up for it on other occasions.. like the Super Rugby final.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I really haven't missed your point Pfitzy. I know you are saying the forwards slacked off and that was where the Highlanders won the game. That may well have a fair bit of truth in it, but my point is that KB (Kurtley Beale) was the tackler in three try scoring moves by the Highlanders and he missed all three. If you think that he made up for those errors with his attacking prowess tonight, then I have to disagree. On balance, I think he did more to hinder the Tahs tonight than to help them.
You said the Tahs biggest problem is Beale's defence.
I disagreed - it is not the biggest problem they exhibited.
It is a problem, no doubt, and that has been acknowledged. There is a place between saying it isn't the biggest problem, and saying it is fine, which nobody did. If you think the main reason we lost that game was his defence, then you have an interesting insight into rugby. We lost that up front, pure and simple. If the Tahs got that right, the Highlanders would not have had the opportunities to score those tries.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You said the Tahs biggest problem is Beale's defence.
I disagreed - it is not the biggest problem they exhibited.
/quote]
I'll stick with my opinion Cyclo. The forwards as a whole put in a much improved performance from the Reds' display, but KB (Kurtley Beale) hasn't improved his defense at all. Just my opinion, but I think he was the biggest problem for the Tahs against the Highlanders.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Every one is entitled to their opinion, but I think people are looking out for reasons to criticise Beale rather than looking at his actual play. He was very good last night in attack and involved in a lot of the attacking raids, of which there were many. I haven't rewatched every highlanders try but 99% of tacklers would have missed Naholo for his - he was at full speed and Beale was trying to get him in cover. Naholo is absolutely dynamite when given space, he looks as good as Savea. Jacpot was responsible for the Naholo try, not Beale.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Set up 5 tries and let in 3, no one comments.
But when you don't set up 5 tries,then people start to look at those 3 tries.
I am not blaming KB (Kurtley Beale) for letting in 3 tries.
But equally he does not get a pass from me with his D.
He never ever makes a 50/50 tackle.
Sure Jacpot opened the door by shooting up,a better defender than KB (Kurtley Beale) could have still shut it down.
plenty of his team mates make tackles like that after KB (Kurtley Beale) has made a defensive error,but he never reciprocates.
Talking about last year is great when the topic is last year.
But it's much less relevant when talking about this year.
Just quietly,Jacpot is not being selected on 2015 form either.

Status
Not open for further replies.