• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Waratahs - R5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't get why some people (I suppose particularly Beale haters) get so worked up about switching players positions between defense and attack. It's called making the most of the talent available to you. Beale creates things in attack, Horne finishes well, while in defense Horne is a dominant tackler, and Beale is effective at returning the ball from a kick. Surely it's common sense.

The only argument I hear against is that the 12 defending at 12 is the way we always used to do it. That was exactly the thinking that Kodak stuck to, immediately before they went into liquidation!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'd prefer they addressed his shortcomings rather than devise tactics to try and hide him. He should be more effective at 12 on the quick turnover,than running it back from a planned kick by the opposition.
Then you get examples of when Robbie hid QC (Quade Cooper) at fullback,when the fullback (KB (Kurtley Beale)) was another soft cock in D.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His head on tackling seems to be significantly better so far this season in terms of intent. He's bending his back and putting the shoulder in.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
10428587_10152821770272144_5177524761257570608_n.jpg

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
why are you talking about the reds match in here! The rules are explicit! WHY ARE THE MODS LETTING THIS HAPPEN! you need to start a new thread for every new thought you wish to express! gah

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
While it was really frustrating watching last week's game, I remember the tahs being similarly a bit loose last year at the same stage.

I think the highlanders will be a really good indication of where we really are so far this season, especially around the contact area. I bet there were some sore ears after last weeks slippy hands, but some hard running through contact will get us over the line I think

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'd prefer they addressed his shortcomings rather than devise tactics to try and hide him. He should be more effective at 12 on the quick turnover,than running it back from a planned kick by the opposition.
Then you get examples of when Robbie hid QC (Quade Cooper) at fullback,when the fullback (KB (Kurtley Beale)) was another soft cock in D.

It's not about hiding shortcomings, it's about using the best of what you've got. The fact that Horne is a stronger defender doesn't mean Beale can't defend, nor does that fact that Beale runs the ball back from a kick better mean Horne can't. Why wouldn't you use the best you've got for each role?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
But that's sort of the point I was making.
Because they are hiding beale out the back,he is not there to react with a quick turnover in the midfield.
Teams score many more ties from quick turnovers,than running back kicks.
So in that respect we are losing out in our counter attack,by doing workarounds.
And I'm not sure that Beale is any better than Horne in running it back in any event.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But that's sort of the point I was making.
Because they are hiding beale out the back,he is not there to react with a quick turnover in the midfield.
Teams score many more ties from quick turnovers,than running back kicks.
So in that respect we are losing out in our counter attack,by doing workarounds.
And I'm not sure that Beale is any better than Horne in running it back in any event.

Beale was one of our best players last year and we won the comp for the first time ever.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue.

Should we have him defend at 12 all the time which would weaken our defence compared to having Horne defend there?

Should we pick him on the wing where he often defends but will get less opportunity to touch the ball as first or second receiver where he has been so good?

Should we not pick him because one aspect of his game is inferior to other options in the 12 jersey.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The point I was disputing was that hiding KB (Kurtley Beale) in D enhances our counter attack.

I also do not agree with the mindset that it's ok to shuffle the team around,to cater to a particular players weaknesses.He has been a pro player for what 7 years?
It's not under 10's where he is is giving away double his body weight.

I'm very confident that if his selection was always subject to his D being satisfactory,it would have been fixed years ago.
Put him in the sand pit every Tuesday for an hour with the big boppas running at him.its not that difficult.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Highlanders v NSW Waratahs, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin – Saturday 14th March, 7.35pm (NZT)
1. Josh Hohneck
2. Liam Coltman
3. Ross Geldenhuys
4. Tom Franklin
5. Joe Wheeler
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Shane Christie
8. Nasi Manu (c)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Lima Sopoaga
11. Patrick Osborne
12. Shaun Treeby
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Ben Smith (c)

Reserves:
16. Ash Dixon
17. Brendon Edmonds
18. Pingi Tala’apitaga
19. Mark Reddish
20. John Hardie
21. Fumiaki Tanaka
22. Marty Banks
23. Jason Emery

Unavailable: Richard Buckman (knee), Ma’afu Fia (knee), Dan Pryor (concussion), Kane Hames (suspended)

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This argument happened a lot with Cooper defending at 15 for the Reds. I just don't see the big deal with a team maximising strengths and mitigating weaknesses. It clearly worked for them last year. It's not just Beale either as I'm sure Foley often stands at hooker in defensive line outs.

Not to mention that at this point many teams are doing similar things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's little doubt it damages Beale's chances of being selected at 12 for the Wallabies but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

His transition to 12 last season was quite extraordinary.

I think his defence is improving mostly because of his attitude. He's had plenty of issues with his shoulders in the past so hopefully they are in a better state now and that is part of the reason he's more willing to bend his back and put his shoulder in.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Whilst it would be nice to have 23 players who had the size of Will Skelton, the fitness and tackling of Hooper, the leap and elusiveness of Folau and the ball distribution of a Foley, players have natural strengths and weaknesses. If you're not enhancing their strengths and minimising their weaknesses, you're letting the team down by not coaching them as effectively as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.