• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hooper stats looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

I think what Waugh had is best summed up by this quote from Bruce Ross:

What he gave away in skill to smith he made up with a ferocity not seen in the aussie forwards since the departure of vickerman.

:rolleyes: Fair bit of hyperbole in your comment that made by Bruce. Vickerman had a history of going missing in big matches anyway, e.g. Marseille 2007.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can see what you're getting at.
But that backrow working would really require some key players being on the field - big ball carriers to be precise. Higgers makes his best metres wide (not a criticism, he is quick but in space than a blunt weapon), Hooper carries well, but is not a link man in the class of McCaw or Read, for instance (but who knows where he could be). If Horwill and Moore were fit, that'd be a good start.
It might work, but I have this nagging bad memory of trying to fit 2 good 7s in the pack somehow and it just not quite working.

I think we had 2 x 7s in the team the last time we beat the All Blacks at a world cup?!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Hooper could play just about every position competently apart from the tight 5. He's played 12 for Manly 1st grade and done very well.

A

AlexH

Does anyone else think Hooper could make a fantastic eight with, all else being equal, a couple more years of strength and conditioning under his belt and a few kilos to match?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Higginbotham played a much tighter game for the Reds in the 2012 rugby season but he has gone missing in The Rugby Championship so far.

I am in a minority of one but I thought Higginbotham played very well in the second Bledisloe test. In one sequence close to the line he single handedly slowed the breakdowns enough to stop a certain try. I was gobsmacked and very happy when he was replaced with Samo.

BlackBam

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone else think Hooper could make a fantastic eight with, all else being equal, a couple more years of strength and conditioning under his belt and a few kilos to match?

The thing is with 8s is that we always want them to be the big-Kefu type players. I think the way in which 8s now barely hold onto the scrum- would be perfect for Hoops, as breakaway speed and "sniping" is the biggest benefit off playing the 8 position. I think he would be the perfect blind-side though, but again, we always think 6 should be an alternative lineout option. I would love to see a game with Poey at 12 and Hoops at 13, and just get JOC (James O'Connor) lining one or the other up for a safe truck up the centre.

edit- although we would probably be as exciting as the stormers

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
BlackBam, welcome.

I think we need either 6 or 8 to be a lineout option but it's by no means set which one it should be.

Different countries have different approaches to 8, but the one I think works best for us is to have a big body with an equally large motor to go with it. At least one of our back row needs to have some bulk, to impose themselves physically in defence and attack. I guess it doesn't matter a great deal whether it's the 6 or 8, but nevertheless someone needs to fill that role IMHO.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Hooper 182cms
Pocock 181cms
Gill 185cms

Not many 8s or 6s less than 190 going around.

A

AlexH

BlackBam, welcome.

I think we need either 6 or 8 to be a lineout option but it's by no means set which one it should be.

Different countries have different approaches to 8, but the one I think works best for us is to have a big body with an equally large motor to go with it. At least one of our back row needs to have some bulk, to impose themselves physically in defence and attack. I guess it doesn't matter a great deal whether it's the 6 or 8, but nevertheless someone needs to fill that role IMHO.

Do you think Higginbotham has the size and ability to play the enforcer role?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Do you think Higginbotham has the size and ability to play the enforcer role?

I do. Higgers has most of the physical attributes. What he needs is the desire at test level to work closer to the ruck and shift bodies. I think he runs too wide, but he may be instructed to do that. He needs to work on his body height too. All of those things are fixable if he wants them to be.

BlackBam

Frank Row (1)
Quite right. There are a good number who are taller than that as well. I like the prospect of Timani playing eight one day. Jesus he could do some bloody damage playing in that position.

-
Thanks brown- Hornet for the welcome.

See I think Timani- physically at least- could be a great 8. But I think physicality is the most overrated benefit of an 8. Take Reed for example. He is a big dude. But not Timani big. But I have no shadow of a doubt that Reed is the best 8 going around. I think what would be the best for the Wobs is someone like Horwill or Pocock playing 8. I know it is unconventional, but there are some players strive when the chips are down and the tables have turned. I think 8- is the perfect place to park someone like Horwill or Poey for years- because they would storm every breach for the team. The thing I miss about the, Wobs right, now is that mental tenacity. We're light on 8's right now, so put Big Kev in there and have the mental toughness for years. Hooper it seems, is promising on this level.

-edit it is why, I think we should also get rid of 'boxing-promo- Cooper' and put in O'Connor. He may not be as skilled at distribution yet, but the kid has got heart.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good point on Read. In the RWC winning team he had the luxury of McCaw being a bigger openside than most and the hard physical edge that Kaino provided. It was a fantastically balanced combination.

Read is still listed as 1.93m and 112kg. That's a very decent size and considerably bigger than Pocock, but you're right in that he's not as big as Timani. In Sita's case, I'm just speculating. In Bleddie 2 this year I saw some physical hardness about him that suggested as well as being able to play a tight lock position he could also be a very effective eight.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hooper 182cms
Pocock 181cms
Gill 185cms

Not many 8s or 6s less than 190 going around.
I don't believe Hooper will ever be an 8, but you can look at Sean O'Brien and Toby Faletau for example as shorter men who've become their countries first-choice number 8's. Liam Messam, Victor Vito and Marcell Coetzee are around 1.90

So it isn't a stretch, but it's all about balance. Higginbotham at 8 (in form) with Pocock and Hooper would be my pick. You'd have to have a tight five with players like Palmer, Moore and possibly Timani to add some grunt.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
O'Brien and Faletau are both 3 inches taller than Hooper though. It can make a big difference at that level.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Timani doesn't have the ball skills to play 8. He may develop them, but I haven't seen them yet.

I think one of the key attributes an 8 needs is the ability to offload (short) in contact. I don't know who can do that for us except Palu. Higgers seems the likely heir but is out of favour with Robbie. Hooper has the best potential out of the youngins, but he seems to go through the first tackle, where as Palu will carry the first tackler leaving clear ground for the supporting player to accept an offload.

What we need is for Ita Vaea to kick on. 1.87m and 119kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.