• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How hard is the Tri-Nations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon the Tri-Nations has got to be the hardest sporting competition in the world. Mentally, physically and emotionally. Some of you might already know this, but I would like to compare it to other Australian football competitions.

With the AFL Grand Final being replayed this weekend there has been alot of coverage about how difficult it will be for the players from Collingwood and St Kilda to get up for another massive game that was so taxing the first time around. Surely they are burnt out not only through their bodies but emotionally too? Will the score blow out? We'll see this weekend I guess.

This got me thinking, however, about what the Wallabies (and All Blacks, Springboks) go through each week of the Tri-Nations. Each test match is practically Grand Final, one week after the other.

Now the AFL Grand Final is a one off match and this year both teams are Melbourne teams. Conversely, the Wallabies have to play the All Blacks (the greatest football team in the world) 4 times and away from home too. Then there is off the Springboks at altitude. Now the Wallabies have been criticised recently about their poor effort against the All Blacks but all of the games have been very close; it must be extremely difficult for the Wallabies to give it their all one game, lose only just, and to come back next week to perform just as good if not better. The hits in rugby are also bigger.

Imagine if St Kilda and Collingwood played a 4 game Grand Final like the Wallabies do with the All Blacks, with not just the expectations of club members on your shoulders, but your country too.

Anyway, just thought I would share those thoughts - rugby really can be promoted a hell of alot better than it currently is.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am still wondering how they backed so well in Sydney after Bloemfontain. AFL people are just pussy's

Try having to beat the AB's 3 times out of four too win the Bledisloe

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because Union (and League) athletes are vastly superior to AFL or Soccer athletes. The Tri-Nations is easily the hardest competition of the football codes. As for the hardest sporting competition, hardly. Tour de France is much tougher.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Because Union (and League) athletes are vastly superior to AFL or Soccer athletes. The Tri-Nations is easily the hardest competition of the football codes. As for the hardest sporting competition, hardly. Tour de France is much tougher.

I would say that an AFL player running 20odd kms a game is probably a better pure athelete than a prop.

As for comparing football competitions, I find it difficult to call one harder than another. Is it easier to maintain consistency over 38 games in the EPL, than six test matches in the Tri Nations? I am honestly not sure. I would like to think the Tri Nations is the hardest going around, but it is bloody difficult to compare.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Different games.

Few rugby players of either code would have the aerobic capacity for most positions in the AFL.

Few rugby props and locks would be able to keep up with the pace of a league match.

Hardly any AFL player could tackle like a rugby union or league player could.

Hardly any league forward could do the close contact work a union forward does.

Its not to say that some Oz footie players couldn't do the things in the other code once they had the training for it.

The games are different; so therefore are the skills and physical preparations required for them.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)

They are only superior in awesomeness.

Soccer ave 2kms game
both codes of rugby: ave 6kms game
GAFL: ave 10kms game

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gentlemen, come hurling, and we'll see who's still feeling cocky afterwards.

No one has dignity after hurling. In private it is bad enough, but those unlucky posters whoever experience a "regurgitation exhibition" know there's no living that down.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hmm, thinking of it like that you can read Thomonds post a very different way

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

There are not enough lobotomy probes outside Ireland to put out a hurling team...
Oh wait, I see the cleverness in the design of the game now.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the biggest problem of the tri nations is that australia doesnt have anyone to beat, therefore glory supporters for the wallabies fade away.

that is until argentina come into the quad nations

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
the biggest problem of the tri nations is that australia doesnt have anyone to beat, therefore glory supporters for the wallabies fade away.

Dont write them off, I rekkon they could claim quite a few scalps at home.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Ctrl-Save-Comment-For-Later-Use

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Dont write them off, I rekkon they could claim quite a few scalps at home.

not writing them off, just as NZ and SA don't write us off and vice versa, just there'd be someone around who statistically would be a team we can build moral off

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There are not enough lobotomy probes outside Ireland to put out a hurling team...
Oh wait, I see the cleverness in the design of the game now.

hurling is a proper tough sport, and damn entertaining as well. A crowd of 40000 crazy Irish watching it live was one of the best live events I've seen. I have far more respect for it than I do for sookball and a lot of other sports.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hurling a sport for nutter's. Been to a game and watched it many times during my visits to Ireland. Great spectator sport but limited manly because of its attraction. Most sane people wouldn't try it. On topic. The Tri-Nations is far and away the toughest competition any Australian team of either code participate in. Rugby athletes (either code) are far better all round abilites. This has been proven twice now in the Gillete Aus Greatest Athlete.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

I think any sentient human would need a lobotomy before they played that game.

I was in the USA about 35 years ago and watching their "Wide World Of Sports" on a Sunday afternoon. They had edited highlights of the hurling final and it looked like a hoot.

Then this fellow gets his stick and whacks an opponent right across the chops nowhere near the ball. The poor guy fell like a sack of spuds and all the commentator said was: "It looks like O'Brien has got a nasty knock." They had to stretcher him off.

Yeah - a lobotomy at least, says I - and a few liquid painkillers before the game, and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.