• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Am I right in thinking that Samoa and Tonga do their war dance at the same time as the Haka when they play NZ?

Anyway - would be good to see the Wallabies show the same type of emotion (aggression?) back at the same time - maybe crouch a little, thump knees, then chest in unison.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Am I right in thinking that Samoa and Tonga do their war dance at the same time as the Haka when they play NZ?

Anyway - would be good to see the Wallabies show the same type of emotion (aggression?) back at the same time - maybe crouch a little, thump knees, then chest in unison.

You're correct about Samoa and Tonga. But, I think what you're suggesting will look like drunk blokes in yellow shirts taking the piss out of the Haka

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty sure the "gotta change out of the tracksuit pants now" thing was McKenzie's way of responding to the haka. They do their dance and get all g'd up and then the Wallabies take their time taking their pants off. Do the Wallabies go out onto the pitch with trackies on for any other team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall the first time tracksuits were employed, Gregan was still playing. Then there were the tackle bags.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
With respect to the AB's/NZders, The haka is a relic of pre-professionalism and does not belong in today's rugby games. Every nation has a traditional wardance of some sort or other, why NZ are the only ones who are allowed to perform theirs is beyond me. IRB are too scared to act, and dare I say that there is an element of favouritism in allowing it to stay which the referees pick up on..

Last bit is a bit of tin foil hat theory but I genuinely believe that the Haka should not be in rugby.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Hear me out on this idea.

Important fact is the New Zealand Airforce has no jet fighters in its fleet.

So the Haka ends, over the PA, speakers turned up to max, ACDC Thunderstruck plays. A whole RAAF, Squadron of jet fighters does a low level flyby with a dump and burn over the stadium.

New Zealand can bring their ancient war dance, we will bring our modern war machines.

The best thing about this we can do it when then test matches are played in New Zealand, it's not like their Air Force could stop us. Would look good over Eden Park, and would be doing the crowd a favour with our jet fighters drowning out Dave Dobbyn's Slice of Heaven playing over the PA.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
You're correct about Samoa and Tonga. But, I think what you're suggesting will look like drunk blokes in yellow shirts taking the piss out of the Haka

Possibly, but maybe they need to get passed that fear. Maybe they need to make clear that's not their intention. Maybe they need to frame it as a sign of respect and a response to the challenge.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be a full-blown war dance of our own, but just something that says 'we're putting everything on the line as well'

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
With respect to the AB's/NZders, The haka is a relic of pre-professionalism and does not belong in today's rugby games. Every nation has a traditional wardance of some sort or other, why NZ are the only ones who are allowed to perform theirs is beyond me. IRB are too scared to act, and dare I say that there is an element of favouritism in allowing it to stay which the referees pick up on..

Last bit is a bit of tin foil hat theory but I genuinely believe that the Haka should not be in rugby.

Never seen Fiji, Tonga or Manu Samoa play a test match?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

Could not disagree more. This has become a rugby tradition and certainly adds to the theatre of the game. I see no reason for it to be removed. I think you'll find that a large majority of players have a great respect for it and I have heard/read about countless opposition players who have said they actually look forward to facing it. "The ultimate challenge"

No one has any complaints about facing the haka's performed by any of the other Pacific Island nations, but because the ABs have been so dominant over the last few years, and people seem to think they gain some kind of unfair advantage from it, all of a sudden it is not appropriate in this age of 'professionalism'.

Rugby tradition, long may it continue.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe at home games the Wallabies can have an aboriginal group perform a traditional war dance around or in front of them while the Haka is being performed. Something that connects the Wallabies to the ancient traditions of our land - without the Wallabies themselves trying to be something they're not.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I enjoy the haka, it has deep meaning to Maori and it is a national treasure for the Kiwis.

It is a unique part of rugby too, so there isn't much point trying to argue it should be stopped - it isn't going anywhere.

My read is to rev them up a little and encourage them to spill their energy while saving yours to hit them hard in the first five minutes. No need to disrespect it, it's just a tribal performance. I find throat slitting in poor taste, even more so after recent international events, but the last one looked like the movements had been adjusted - a wise decision I'd think.

So yeah, wind them up a bit, let em toss all their energy into it, get on with running them over on the pitch.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Hear me out on this idea.

Important fact is the New Zealand Airforce has no jet fighters in its fleet.

So the Haka ends, over the PA, speakers turned up to max, ACDC Thunderstruck plays. A whole RAAF, Squadron of jet fighters does a low level flyby with a dump and burn over the stadium.

Nice idea but the ability to do dump and burn displays died with the demise of the F-111. The A/B model Hornets and the new Super Hornets can still do an impressive low level noisy pass though.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Maybe at home games the Wallabies can have an aboriginal group perform a traditional war dance around or in front of them while the Haka is being performed. Something that connects the Wallabies to the ancient traditions of our land - without the Wallabies themselves trying to be something they're not.

This may be an excellent idea provided it didn't seem gratuitous or tokenistic.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
could not think of anything worse!!

only 3% of the population lay claim to be of aboriginal decent and just over 50% of that initial 3% actually identify with a tribe/language etc according to ABS as apposed to NZ where their census in 2013 listed 1/7 people being of maori heritage. After that there is even a smaller group of aboriginals that actually like rugby union, theres no point when no one will identify with it, will just come off as cheap and nasty.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Haka is great but I detest the way other teams are obligated to just sit back and cop it.
What a load of crap, other teams aren't obliged to do anything, it was IRU not NZRU that made the rule that players have to stand on behind 10m mark.
Personally as a kiwi I love the Haka, but probably because of what it means to us, but I wouldn't give a flying f*** if the Abs didn't do it. Just because I am sick of the moans about it. The easiest way to stop half the complaints is get the ABs to lose a bit more as I not seeing any complaints about Samoans/Fijians etc doing their challenge!

T

Train Without a Station

No, it's not a load of crap. That's the rules. I didn't comment on who made the rules. I just said the rule is a load of shit.

No wonder teams are in awe of the All Blacks half the time. There's rules in place that essentially make you start the game that way.

Did France get fined for the 2011 RWC Final?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
What a load of crap, other teams aren't obliged to do anything, it was IRU not NZRU that made the rule that players have to stand on behind 10m mark.
So, in other words, they are obliged to.....

I'm not arguing your viewpoint. Just the contradiction.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
could not think of anything worse!!

only 3% of the population lay claim to be of aboriginal decent and just over 50% of that initial 3% actually identify with a tribe/language etc according to ABS as apposed to NZ where their census in 2013 listed 1/7 people being of maori heritage. After that there is even a smaller group of aboriginals that actually like rugby union, theres no point when no one will identify with it, will just come off as cheap and nasty.

I know nothing of those statistics, but I can tell you I saw a the pre-match of a Rugby League game recently (not sure which one) where an Aboriginal dance group faced the Haka.

That did suck. Hence my comment about it perhaps looking gratuitous and tokenistic, which I thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.