• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Each country should do something that reflects their heritage.
For kick-off may I suggest that the Australians do circle work on their half of the field while drinking bundy and cola..

I would suggest the ceremonial "Chucking of the Brown-eye" wouldn't go down well.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hear me out on this idea.

Important fact is the New Zealand Airforce has no jet fighters in its fleet.

So the Haka ends, over the PA, speakers turned up to max, ACDC Thunderstruck plays. A whole RAAF, Squadron of jet fighters does a low level flyby with a dump and burn over the stadium.

New Zealand can bring their ancient war dance, we will bring our modern war machines.

The best thing about this we can do it when then test matches are played in New Zealand, it's not like their Air Force could stop us. Would look good over Eden Park, and would be doing the crowd a favour with our jet fighters drowning out Dave Dobbyn's Slice of Heaven playing over the PA.

Please. McAwe will take on the RAAF in his glider and win. His aura alone will silence your "modern war machines" ;)

untitled.png
untitled1.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The whole reason the All Blacks are playing a test in the USA is so McCaw can spend some time with the USAF to see if they can learn his invisibility secrets.

They've spent hundreds of billions of dollars on stealth aircraft and figure McCaw can provide the final piece of the puzzle to make the whole thing completely invisible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So, in other words, they are obliged to...

I'm not arguing your viewpoint. Just the contradiction.
Lol yep Chris, not what I meant, they have to stay back,but are not obliged to stand there, they can run away and warm up if they choose or sing a song! How about Wallabies sing Waltzing Matilda whilst the ABs are doing haka?;)
What I was really saying there tends to be a bit of fiction on what you are allowed and not allowed to do, and I will add by some kiwis too!!

monique

Frank Row (1)
My son in law who is Maori said quote: "we (Maori) actually like them challenging it . It is the pakeha ( whites) and their pc rubbish that carry on. When people challenge the Hakka
it makes it more powerful for everyone.... I think they need to dig a
little deeper in to their "own" culture before making comments ." just thought the Maori voice should be heard.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm a little bit annoyed because I saw a great article yesterday but didn't post it. Was from a English paper in 2008? (when the whole welsh/England haka response thing was going down) there was a quote by both the maori affairs minister at the time as well as a tribal elder or something along those line, to paraphrase they said something along the lines of "its a challenge and they respect other teams accepting the challenge however that may be and also they acknowledged that maoris would act differently if faced with a haka but seeing as they were performing it against other nations/races, it is not their culture hence you should not expect them to react in a certain way and are entitled to do whatever they want and it should not be seen as disrespectful.

I thought this was a very measured and insightful outlook by people who I thought would have the most problem with such responses. Yet you go on facebook and look at any post involving a haka challenge and there's a bunch of kiwis (both black and white Monique) who seem very uneducated about their own culture.

@Dan54 the reason why NZ is always the one mentioned is because

1) we play against them more than any other nation
2)because your the only nation that plays the "disrespect" card, never ever heard/seen a samoan, tongan or Fijian have a bitch about lack of respect towards one of their wardances

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Lol yep Chris, not what I meant, they have to stay back,but are not obliged to stand there, they can run away and warm up if they choose or sing a song! How about Wallabies sing Waltzing Matilda whilst the ABs are doing haka?;)
What I was really saying there tends to be a bit of fiction on what you are allowed and not allowed to do, and I will add by some kiwis too!!

The misconception you speak of comes from the NZ media after anyone does anything except stand there. Every time someone does something different, the NZ media have a tizz.

They did over Wales standing their ground, France advancing, BOD's apparently well researched challenge acceptance. They especially went nuts when the Wallabies continued their warmup.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing against the Haka, but it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that historically, challenges haven't been met with derision from a heck of a lot of New Zealanders.

I'll add that when Wales wanted to use the anthem as a response in 2006, the All Blacks refused to perform it publicly, which i

monique

Frank Row (1)
I'm a little bit annoyed because I saw a great article yesterday but didn't post it. Was from a English paper in 2008? (when the whole welsh/England haka response thing was going down) there was a quote by both the maori affairs minister at the time as well as a tribal elder or something along those line, to paraphrase they said something along the lines of "its a challenge and they respect other teams accepting the challenge however that may be and also they acknowledged that maoris would act differently if faced with a haka but seeing as they were performing it against other nations/races, it is not their culture hence you should not expect them to react in a certain way and are entitled to do whatever they want and it should not be seen as disrespectful.

I thought this was a very measured and insightful outlook by people who I thought would have the most problem with such responses. Yet you go on facebook and look at any post involving a haka challenge and there's a bunch of kiwis (both black and white Monique) who seem very uneducated about their own culture.

@Dan54 the reason why NZ is always the one mentioned is because

1) we play against them more than any other nation
2)because your the only nation that plays the "disrespect" card, never ever heard/seen a samoan, tongan or Fijian have a bitch about lack of respect towards one of their wardances
Yes I agree not all Maori have been fortunate enough to obtain cultural knowledge for many reasons, but our son in law from a family who have kept their traditions and thought people may be interested in that perspective.
It's sad when people make comments based on ignorance. We were sitting near AB's supporters in Brisbane last Saturday night and not only were they rude and obnoxious but didn't even know the rules, evidenced by their comments

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Each country should do something that reflects their heritage.
For kick-off may I suggest that the Australians do circle work on their half of the field while drinking bundy and cola..

This:
Personally I love the Haka. Those who don't like it go watch it live. Its totally a different experience than watching it on tv.

Cyclopath the IRB sent this to all the Unions wee back in 2007

Following complaints to the IRB about the All Blacks being allowed to motivate themselves by performing the 'Hakka' before their games, other nations were asked to suggest pre-match rituals of their own. The IRB Rugby World Cup 2007 organizing committee has now agreed to the following pre-match displays.

1. The England team will chat about the weather, wave hankies in the air and attach bells to their ankles, before moaning about how they invented the game and gave it to the world, but no-one appreciates them.

2. The Scotland team will chant "You looking' at me, Jimmy?" before each of them smash a bottle of beer over their opponents' heads.

3. The Ireland team will split into two, with the Southern half performing a Riverdance, while the Northerners march the traditional route from their dressing room to the pitch via their opponents' dressing room.

4. Unfortunately the committee was unable to sanction the Welsh proposal to form a choir and sing Tom Jones' "The Green Green Grass of Home".

5. Argentina will unexpectedly invade a small part of opposition territory, claim it as their own "Las In-Goal-Areas", and have to be forcibly removed by the match stewards.

6. Two members of the South African team will claim to be more important than the other 13, whom they will imprison between the posts. These two will then go about selecting the best parts of the pitch to settle on and claim they have been there for centuries.

7. The Americans will not attend until almost full time. In future years they will amend the records to show that they were, in fact, the most important team in the tournament, and Hollywood will produce a blockbuster film called "Saving Flanker Ryan".

8. Five of the Canadian team will sing "Le Marseillaise" and hold the rest of the team to ransom.

9. The Italian team will arrive in Armani gear, sexually harass the female officials, and then prepare pasta dishes, which they will then flog to the crowd for a fortune.

10. The Japanese will shock fans by demonstrating how to capture a whale for scientific research by harpooning an opposition prop.

11. The French won't have a pre-match display and will simply hide in fear in the dressing room for the whole match.

12. The Australians will have a barbecue on their side of the field and invite the opposition over before the game. The food and alcohol will be in abundance and, by the start of the game, no-one will remember what they came to the stadium for. After some streaking, the singing of dirty songs and the occasional chunder, everyone will go home thoroughly convinced it was a bloody good night.

13. The Moroccan team will quietly pray during the first half and then launch suicide attacks against the opposition after the break. Unfortunately, this strategy works well for the first game only, after which Morocco is forced to withdraw from the tournament due to lack of players.

14. Samoa will prepare a huge feast in the middle of the pitch by digging a large hole and filling it with burning embers. They will invite the opposition over by saying "We'd like to have you for dinner." Only when the opposition arrive at the pit will they realise that there is no meat and that they are, in fact, the main course.

Hopefully, with these policies now in place, further problems in this area should cease to exist.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Please. McAwe will take on the RAAF in his glider and win. His aura alone will silence your "modern war machines" ;)

View attachment 5542 View attachment 5543

Us Aussies we are good to you Kiwis. The jet Ritchie is standing in front of and was taken up in is an Australia Airforce FA 18 Hornet.

http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/wanaka/100358/fighter-joyride-perfect-fit-mccaw

Do you think Ritchie would take Quade Cooper up in his glider? I would be checking the glider doesn't have an ejector seat.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
could not think of anything worse!!

only 3% of the population lay claim to be of aboriginal decent and just over 50% of that initial 3% actually identify with a tribe/language etc according to ABS as apposed to NZ where their census in 2013 listed 1/7 people being of maori heritage. After that there is even a smaller group of aboriginals that actually like rugby union, theres no point when no one will identify with it, will just come off as cheap and nasty.
Every single school assembly I've been to at my kids' school spends a couple of minutes acknowledging the traditional owners of the land. Which is weird because most Aboriginals didn't have a concept of "owning" the land as such. Just wording eh?

I know nothing of those statistics, but I can tell you I saw a the pre-match of a Rugby League game recently (not sure which one) where an Aboriginal dance group faced the Haka.

That did suck. Hence my comment about it perhaps looking gratuitous and tokenistic, which I thought it was.

I see your problem.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Typical nonsense. The haka itself is an insult. Spare me this culture/heritage rubbish. It is an in person troll attempt. They absolutely no right to perform it and opponents owe them absolutely nothing.

So sick of that poxy country. When are we bombing it back to the dark ages ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Typical nonsense. The haka itself is an insult. Spare me this culture/heritage rubbish. It is an in person troll attempt. They absolutely no right to perform it and opponents owe them absolutely nothing.

Deadset, it lives!

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)

So the haka annoys you Naza? The country annoys you Naza? Good, then our work here is done. :p

Time for a beer and read some sensible posts.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Lol yep Chris, not what I meant, they have to stay back,but are not obliged to stand there, o
Im pretty sure that's not correct. The IRB has issued a directive stating the oppo must line up at the 10m line and are not allowed to advance or ignore the Haka.

Not that I care. I don't mind the Wallabies having to face it. If they let that upset them enough to lose they don't deserve to win and I enjoy the theatre and tradition of it.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
@pfitzy, yea I think that is a absolute joke in itself, that practice is very new im only 23 and doing the acknowledgment thing was not around when I was in primary and high school.

Kinda ironic acknowledging the "traditional owners of the land" as they put it, because of your point about aboriginals apparently not having a concept of owning anything and also the growing evidence that there was actually a different race of people here before the aboriginals!!

Status
Not open for further replies.