• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
This is a circular discussion - You either get all excited about it, or you want to see it done away with...

I would like to see it done away with, to me it is ridiculous, but if the Kiwis want to make everyone sit through it at home, let them go ahead - its Their Right... Once they are on the Plane though, I think it should be tucked-away into History - Run onto the Field, Shake Hands, and Get On with It...

I am tired of all the baggage that comes with it - the insulted-by-this, and insulted-by-that crap they bring with it - grandstanding bulls*** in my book.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
doesn't hurt that they are the most skilful/best team in the world to begin with

or are they the most skilful/best team in the world BECAUSE they do the haka...?

food for though :p
He he.

Other teams have their own war dance as well but they are certainly not as good as the All Blacks.

I have had conflicting feelings about this myself.

Many moons ago the Springboks had a standing mini-jog and jig when the All Blacks did their haka which I guess was sort of a warm-up of their own.

New Zealand were the first to integrate this bit of tradition into their rugby on the big scene and therefore I believe this tradition deserves respect simply because it's a tradition and this is rugby. We don't do away with tradition because it's an important component of the game - the soul of it you may even say.

That's why Lions tours still take place and that is also why there are regular Barbarians fixtures.

For me watching the Haka is a thrill that gives me goosebumps because I try to live it as someone standing in a Springbok jersey. I cannot fathom how awesome it must be for a Springbok player playing his first game against the All Blacks and witnessing this 100-odd year heritage spoken about over the years, knowing he's going to be really up against it this time and finally realising his childhood dream. Thinking "this is the enemy" all the while.

I think advancing is not too disrespectful though, but I think just taking it all in is enough of a boost for any opposition.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What does it actually mean? How many guys in the NZ side are Maori? And what does it mean to us? Not much really.
I say stand there and respect the players performing it. But the second it's finished line up for the kick off. and get on with it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
What does it actually mean? How many guys in the NZ side are Maori? And what does it mean to us? Not much really.
I say stand there and respect the players performing it. But the second it's finished line up for the kick off. and get on with it.
Those with Maori heritage include Messam, Aaron Smith, Dagg, Jane.

Most NZ high schools teach maori culture and if you make a 1st XV you will most likely have learned the haka. Some of the best haka's I've seen have been at the school boy nationals.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
As said, if they want to perform it in New Zealand, Good Luck to them - otherwise, get on with the Rugby.

I was interested to see at the recent World Basketball Championships, a European Side which entirely ignored it - They were there to play basketball, not to a cultural exchange...

The Lions Tour still takes place because Hundreds of thousands of people still turn up to watch it - if they didn't, it would not last - we all know that...

I can only watch so many re-runs of Hogans Heroes - and I have seen far to many Hakas now to be anything other than annoyed by them...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The USA bball reaction was priceless

They clapped them at the end as if it was dance routine.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I thought it was a bit over-hyped at the time.. they stood and watched - no more, no less... did not seem particularly perturbed, or, impressed - clapped at the end as f to say "OK, Now lets get on with it..." all looked a bit pointless to the jaded eye.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
man, get a dance instructor/musician to help with the haka on the basketball court.

You'd get a fantastic rythmic stomp happening!

T

Train Without a Station

Can anybody explain why the whitest players (eg. Williams) are the most animated about it? Are they overcompensating?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
As said, if they want to perform it in New Zealand, Good Luck to them - otherwise, get on with the Rugby.

I was interested to see at the recent World Basketball Championships, a European Side which entirely ignored it - They were there to play basketball, not to a cultural exchange.

The Lions Tour still takes place because Hundreds of thousands of people still turn up to watch it - if they didn't, it would not last - we all know that.

I can only watch so many re-runs of Hogans Heroes - and I have seen far to many Hakas now to be anything other than annoyed by them.
True about the Lions tours.

Players from our shores seem to value the Haka though and so do I. There are enough fans that feel the same way too. I can't imagine a test against the All Blacks starting without the Haka being performed.

I don't care much for it other than in Rugby (Union). Until today I wasn't even aware that it existed in other sports.

Each to their own I guess.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The English Players don't tho - and nobody has to stand about getting 'warmed-down' whilst they do - that is really the issue.

Should they be standing about whilst the Welsh players sing a Hymn, or the Italians perform a little Opera? - that represents their Culture - but what has it got to do with Rugby? They have the National Anthems - enough!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
anyone notice the tall blacks ended up over half way on the court when performing the haka!! very disrespectful!!:p

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Just watched the clip of the junior league match that sparked this latest haka discussion.
Whilst I love watching it, in this case I believe it's the kiwis that disrespected it. The Aussies barely moved off their original make whereas the kiwis clearly moved forward into their faces. Partly it seems because the Aussies were standing aggressively and facing up to it.
My comment is that it's also the responsibility of the kiwis to respect the haka tradition and not use it as a form of manipulation and outrage if it doesn't have the desired effect.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe its time to view the Haka in the "Spirit" in which it is offered - I know of no other "Cultural Exchange" which is inflicted on a - in this case Host - according to the maxim; - We get our way completely, and you appreciate it, - or we will throw our toys out of the Crib...

This from 2006:

No WRU apology over haka dispute
o.gif

_42361588_haka_ap_203body.jpg

The All Blacks performed in the dressing room
inline_dashed_line.gif

The haka in pictures
The Welsh Rugby Union has refused to apologise over a row that saw New Zealand performing their haka in the Millennium Stadium changing rooms.
The haka - a ceremonial war dance - is traditionally performed by New Zealand directly before kick off in matches.
But it was held in private on Saturday in protest at Wales' plan to "respond" with their own national anthem.

WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis said the issue should have been sorted out long before the match.

o.gif

start_quote_rb.gif
I don't think anyone comes out well in this - both sides regret what happened on Saturday
end_quote_rb.gif

Roger Lewis, WRU
But Wales' wish to follow the haka with their anthem before Saturday's match saw New Zealand refuse to stage the haka on the field.

Mr Lewis told the BBC the WRU had informed their New Zealand counterparts of their plans to respond to the haka several weeks ago.

He said: "The match protocol outlining the order of events had been set by the Welsh Rugby Union to the New Zealand Rugby Union on 16 October.

_42359148_haka203getty.jpg

New Zealand have staged the haka for more than 100 years
"However, the WRU were only officially informed by New Zealand on the morning of the match that the haka was not going to be performed.
"This kind of brinkmanship is not good for rugby, it's not fair on the fans."

Mr Lewis added that the WRU would write to world rugby's governing body, the IRB, to "suggest that a worldwide protocol for the haka is agreed to by all".
Former Wales captain Paul Thorburn told BBC Wales he believed the WRU decision had set a precedent for next year's World Cup and that other teams will also insist on their national anthems being played after the haka as a response.

He said if the All Blacks maintain their stance it could result in the haka never being performed in public again"

So there it is - The EASY Solution.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Just watched the clip of the junior league match that sparked this latest haka discussion.
Whilst I love watching it, in this case I believe it's the kiwis that disrespected it. The Aussies barely moved off their original make whereas the kiwis clearly moved forward into their faces. Partly it seems because the Aussies were standing aggressively and facing up to it.
My comment is that it's also the responsibility of the kiwis to respect the haka tradition and not use it as a form of manipulation and outrage if it doesn't have the desired effect.

I know the Clip makes t look that way - as it comes-in a bit late - apparently the australians advanced quite a way forward... I note also quite a few Pacific islands boys in the Australian Team - they seemed to think it was an appropriate response... So do I - it was however the Kiwi Boys who decided to combine some Haka Movements with some physical contact...

Just do (away with) it.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
The Welsh fans thought they were short changed on that occasion and were booing in the area we were seated in. Apparently the AB's wern't unhappy in performing a Haka in the sheds and were quoted as saying it made no difference Like many of you I'm a tad haka'd out. Every sport seems to have adopted it, and most of them are just an embarrassment to watch,although the womens beach volleys ballers are worth a shufti.
I can see the sense in keeping teams behind the ten metre line,but apart from that I think there should be no restrictions on how opposing teams respond.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I agree - There can be NO restrictions - How can you say to a serious Competitor in a Rugby Test "Just stand there and take it"?????

...and the fact that there must be no restrictions means it must go - I repeat however, if the Kiwis want to insist on t at home, that is their business - just sign the protocols before each team visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.