• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to respond to the haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, and I don't think it actually has anything to do with the haka itself, but spitefulness developed from the continued on-field success of the All Blacks.....

Absolutely.

If we were beating the All Blacks regularly, no one would be arguing that the haka provides an unfair advantage.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Let's not forget that all of the PI nations have their own 'war cry' that they perform before a match....

The only reason why the haka is singled out by a minority is due to the success of the All Blacks.

I've never understood the complaints.

It's a long standing tradition that's performed across all sports, although obviously hold far greater focus in rugby due to its importance in NZ.

We obviously face it more due to the frequency in which we play the AB's, but it's a spectacle I've always enjoyed watching and a challenge that players worldwide are honoured to receive.

Absolutely. I love the spectacle but wish there was a more combative way of confronting it.

I watched Bledisloe 3 in the Netherlands with a bunch of decidedly non-sports fans and they were salivating about the haka.

All I want is for the Australians to be a little bit less passive about it, without going down the French avenue and charging it down and eyeballing them.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
@slim

is that the same entitlement complex that a lot of All Blacks fans and officials have that anything and everything done besides standing absolutely still on the spot is considered a terrible disrespect........or is it a different entitlement complex all together?

DannyC

Frank Row (1)
As a Kiwi and I feel my opinion would be backed up by the vast majority of rugby fans from NZ I love when a team challenges the Haka be it the french moving toward it in the flying V formation or my personal fav the stare down from Wales. Best part of the stare down was the All Blacks don't turn and walk away till the other team starts to so the stare down really built some amazing tension and I was a little nervous that maybe that was going to be Wales day as they seemed up to the challenge.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@slim

is that the same entitlement complex that a lot of All Blacks fans and officials have that anything and everything done besides standing absolutely still on the spot is considered a terrible disrespect....or is it a different entitlement complex all together?

I think your beef is with the IRB, who've applied that rule to EVERY team performing a war cry pre-match............

It's an unfortunate blanket rule to prevent physical scuffles like what's occured a couple of times in recent years...........

I'm not sure if AB fans agree with it either.............

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Let's not forget that all of the PI nations have their own 'war cry' that they perform before a match....

The only reason why the haka is singled out by a minority is due to the success of the All Blacks.

I've never understood the complaints.

It's a long standing tradition that's performed across all sports, although obviously hold far greater focus in rugby due to its importance in NZ.

We obviously face it more due to the frequency in which we play the AB's, but it's a spectacle I've always enjoyed watching and a challenge that players worldwide are honoured to receive.

The only reason the All Blacks are singled out, is because the poor bastards in Samoa, Tonga et al, never get to play anybody outside a World Cup, because there is no money in it...

It does not matter who's 'Haka' it is - keep it at Home, and get on with the Rugby.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The only reason the All Blacks are singled out, is because the poor bastards in Samoa, Tonga et al, never get to play anybody outside a World Cup, because there is no money in it.

It does not matter who's 'Haka' it is - keep it at Home, and get on with the Rugby.
What about places like Suncorp where its basically an NZ home crowd? Do we make an exception?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Then do away with the anthems too?

Don't see the connection...

Although I would have no objection to the Players coming out after the Anthems if they preferred...

If I were fortunate enough to be a national coach, i would NOT want my players to be distracted by this whole "how do we respond / what are we allowed to do / what are we not allowed to do / how long should we do it" bullshit, right before the match... I have sent them out onto the field for a Rugby Match, not to feck about with Cultural Exchange...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe we should just wheel out 15 Comfy Sofas, and some Fresh Orange Juice, and our boys can just chill on the half-way line until the show is over...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Essentially your argument boils down to - "I don't like it."

The problem is that most people do, and it's a tradition when facing any PI nation in pretty much every sport...........

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The argument does not boil down to "I don' like it" any more than yours boils down to "I do"...

Its an issue regarding why one team is permitted to come onto the field and carry on this circus, and the opposition team are constantly being expected to just stand there, like 2nd class citizens, and observe it - if they respond to the Haka in any terms similar to what has been presented to THEM, they are somehow disrespectful or its against some IRB Law or some other bullshit - and its all got NOTHING to do with the Rugby.

If the IRB change the rules so that its a Free-For-All in terms of Response, and No Complaints of Disrespect will be tolerated (including kicking off and commencing the game without them), then I will have no objection to it, whatsoever.

In fact, I think that would put the whole nonsense right into perspective. Just blow the whistle to commence the match, and the Kiwis can go dancing for as long as they like...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now you're just being downright silly............

But we get it, you don't like the haka. Maybe it's time to move on?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would the IRB make it a free for all?

The IRB quite reasonably want the haka (particularly the most famous of them, the All Blacks haka) to remain a quintessential part of international rugby union.

What they wouldn't want is for the haka to become a spectacle only because of the ridiculous things other teams do in response to it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only reason the All Blacks are singled out, is because the poor bastards in Samoa, Tonga et al, never get to play anybody outside a World Cup, because there is no money in it.

So Manu Samoa have played 9 tests in the last 18 month, including against the Boks, Scotland and Ireland. No problems with the Siva Tau.

Tonga has also played 9 tests including against Wales, France and the U.S. No problems with the Sipi Tau.

And Fiji has played 11 tests, and given their ranking that have mainly been against minnows (Italy, US, Canada, Tonga, Samoa), but there's been no problems when they've performed the Cibi or Bole.

And guess what, every one of those tests had a result, so rugby got played and the rugby was not overshadowed by what you call the 'circus'.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
So Manu Samoa have played 9 tests in the last 18 month, including against the Boks, Scotland and Ireland. No problems with the Siva Tau.

Tonga has also played 9 tests including against Wales, France and the U.S. No problems with the Sipi Tau.

And Fiji has played 11 tests, and given their ranking that have mainly been against minnows (Italy, US, Canada, Tonga, Samoa), but there's been no problems when they've performed the Cibi or Bole.

And guess what, every one of those tests had a result, so rugby got played and the rugby was not overshadowed by what you call the 'circus'.

Okay, Lets step back....

Are you seriously trying to argue that Samoa Tonga & Fiji get a fair go when it comes to International Rugby... Are you SERIOUSLY going to try and go down THAT STREET????!!!!

Yes, in the last couple of years Samo and to a lesser extent Tonga have FINALLY been given some access to Autumn Tours - and SOME kind of access to European Teams - and if that last, I will be delighted, lets see if it does - but its very bloody recent, and very bloody late in the day.

How many of those games have been against NZ Australia or South Africa - ONE you say? well - i guess they should think themselves bloody lucky, right?

You are a typical example of someone who makes 2 + 2 +5; Tonga Samoa Fiji et al were mentioned in relation to why the emphasis was always on the All Blacks Haka - if you think that you are going to argue that these teams get ANYTHING LIKE the opportunities or exposure of New Zealand you are bloody deluded... For decades they have been treated like the illegitimate in-laws of Rugby - particularly here and in New Zealand, and to argue otherwise is frankly, stupid.

Finally, YOU are the only one that is arguing that Anything has been OVERSHADOWED by anything. My point is, was, and remains that these Hakas, Chibes, Boles or Siva Taus are perfectly welcome if they want to do them at home, but it would be a pleasant bloody relief if we did not have to put up with all the nonsense when they travel. You may not agree, and you are welcome to it - but I am certainly not here to explain my own preferences to you - and certainly not in relation to the tripe you are passing off as an argument.

Read a post before you respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.