• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's 2015/16: ROUND 1 - DUBAI

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have this horrible feeling that it's to make it easier for the guys transitioning from XV's to handle the pace of the game. And I'm assuming the Olympics will have the same rule so it may ultimately be about WR (World Rugby) wanting to increase the chances of some big name XV's guys making it to Rio.

Thinking about it a bit more.. could also be to do with Olympic squads only being 12 and if you lose a player it will have less of a impact on a team.

T

TOCC

Women won, Australia lost against England in the final match of their pool.. Outplayed at the ruck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Congrats to Australian women's team on their win.

Men's Bowl QF:

Japan v Kenya
France v Russia
Wales v Canada
Scotland v Portugal

Cup QF:

Fiji v Australia
NZ v Samoa
England v Argentina
SA v USA

NZ look a bit under-done, struggled at times v France & losing to USA. I thought Straya would've gone better than they have, the Oceania Olympic qualifying tournament obviously wasn't as good for them prep-wise as I expected.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ true that, but you'd have thought that OQT would've given them some clarity in terms of first-pick lineup etc as they very nearly came undone v Kenya & a loss there would've put them in the Bowl/ Shield.

WR (World Rugby) have put up a Women's Day 2 highlights package:

Men's Day 1 highlights are on their site but not yet YouTube.

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/video/126446

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
And in what can only be described as the worst case of sports misogyny in the SMH ever, the sevens story today, 12 hours after the women's team won, is "US stuns NZ in World Rugby sevens opener". There is no mention of "Russia stuns NZ in World Rugby womens sevens opener" and no mention of the Aussie win whatsoever.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last day of the comp is on FSPlus tonight from 4:55 BrisVegas time AND FS1 from 7:30. Replay from 0800 tomorrow on FS2.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And in what can only be described as the worst case of sports misogyny in the SMH ever, the sevens story today, 12 hours after the women's team won, is "US stuns NZ in World Rugby sevens opener". There is no mention of "Russia stuns NZ in World Rugby womens sevens opener" and no mention of the Aussie win whatsoever.

Unfortunately the media appears to believe that not many people are interested in the Sevens in general, or women's sport either. So the Women's Sevens misses out. Not enough clicks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ there's a handful of women's 7's stories on SMH's kiwi cousin stuff.co.nz so, yeah, someone at SMH has made the call to give it no coverage. Disappointing & ARU's media liaison (assuming they have one) should be making some polite enquiries as to why that is.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately the media appears to believe that not many people are interested in the Sevens in general, or women's sport either. So the Women's Sevens misses out. Not enough clicks.
It's a real shame - because not only are they very good, but very entertaining.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bowl QF:

Kenya 17-12 Japan
France 38-5 Russia
Wales 24-14 Canada
Scotland 21-14 Portugal

Shame Fox couldn't find a way to start their coverage just a tad earlier, I thought that was the whole point of FSPlus & the Red Button...............

EDIT: once Fox does get with the programme, first up is Fiji v Straya. ANZAC solidarity-wise it'd be really, really good if you could do a number on them. Thanks in advance :)

image.jpeg

And cue coverage just in time.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fou looking a lot bigger than last season, bigger things to come from him given he's still a green horn rugby wise

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Straya have coughed it up cold three times & Fiji have scored off two. Fiji 12-5 Straya, ANZAC solidarity somewhat lacking, guys.

D'oh! Fiji kick it out as the hooter sounds so Straya get one last chance but can't capitalise, Fiji win 19-12.

NZ v Samoa next, we really need to destroy them if we're to have any hope v England/ USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.