• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's 2015/16: ROUND 2 - CAPE TOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Appears to me that Aus are concentrating on giving the new and fringe players a fair bit of time, hopefully developing more talent for Rio next year rather than putting every effort into winning this year. Just got away with Wales 21 - 14 after towelling them up last week, over 40 to nil.

Killingworth is looking good, but HH really needs to improve his defense, both tackling and positional defense. Fau and Cusack have been the picks so far.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I reckon he'll struggle to be Olympic-ready with just three 7's legs under his belt whilst still fulfilling his Top14 & EuroCup commitments. If anyone could do it he's the most likely IMO but, also IMO, it just can't be done in so little time.

Apparently Toulon is going to give QC (Quade Cooper) some time away to just focus on 7s, but I'm not sure how long, or how much good it'll do him. Because I think you're right, it's too late for him to really get up to speed with the short form of the game. At least SBW and Liam Messam have been training with their 7s squads.

Players from 15s thinking they can just pop over to 7s and make a mark or even a squad reminds me of some league players popping over to union thinking they can be immediate world-beaters. Patience, Padawans.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
What a get out of jail by the Aussies!

I was wondering when the USA would just kick it out. Then saw Mike Friday tweet this after the game:

Sounds like they were under instructions not to settle for a tie if it came down to one. They're still in the Cup, so I can appreciate that.

I think that was about my favorite game of the day, though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bowl QF:

Scotland v Samoa
Wales v Zimbabwe
Canada v Russia
England v Portugal

Cup QF:

Fiji v France
Australia v South Africa
New Zealand v Argentina
Kenya v USA

NZ starting to make a habit of dropping a game in Pool play to someone they've not previously lost to (Portugal last year, USA & now Canada this) & the injury toll is off the charts.

Apparently Toulon is going to give QC (Quade Cooper) some time away to just focus on 7s, but I'm not sure how long, or how much good it'll do him. Because I think you're right, it's too late for him to really get up to speed with the short form of the game. At least SBW and Liam Messam have been training with their 7s squads.

Players from 15s thinking they can just pop over to 7s and make a mark or even a squad reminds me of some league players popping over to union thinking they can be immediate world-beaters. Patience, Padawans.

Read somewhere that Toulon are giving him leave to attend three Legs & the Olympics should he be selected. I'm guessing the Legs will be Wellywood, Sydney & either HK or Singapore.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Beating USA is an awesome result - too bad our reward is to play South Africa. We keep getting the worst possible quarter final opponent! Oh well, it's nice to see Kenya back playing well again.

NZ had lost to Canada once before, but it was still a big shock to see Canada outplay them, especially given Canada's form recently. Didn't see their other matches but the scores were pretty close. I guess it just shows how small the margins can be in sevens between topping your pool and having to play for the bowl. NZ will probably make it to the semis given the draw but they don't look like a top 4 team at the moment.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
When do the players tied up with the franchise become available? Wellington, I guess?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When do the players tied up with the franchise become available? Wellington, I guess?

Pulu's already there & indications are that SBW will be available for Wellington. Haven't seen or heard anything regarding Messam, Savea, or Ioane.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT in Bowl QF1, Scotland 19-0 Samoa who've done nothing of note with what little ball they've had. Unless the possession stat levels out, this could get ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.