• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's 2015/16: ROUND 2 - CAPE TOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our performance in Cape Town was pretty disappointing but we were missing several key players.

When we were amongst the best couple of teams at the start of the 2014/15 series we had Cam Clark in career best form and Chucky Stannard was playing very well as our chief playmaker.

Ed Jenkins and Jessie Parahi were our best two forwards and Jenkins didn't play in Cape Town and Parahi has gone.

I think depth is certainly an issue for us at the moment and when we don't have our best side we look decidedly average.

We need Cam Clark back in his best form and we need to develop a playmaker to succeed Stannard. I tend to think Allan Fa'avalu isn't ever going to be good enough.

Part of the trouble in recent years is when we have had a great playmaker, they end up going to XVs.

I don't think there is any great issue with our style of play. When we execute well it's powerful and dynamic. When we don't have our best players though, we're just not up to it against the best teams. Unless we play with more out and out fliers, I can't really see us playing a very different style.

The lack of time Scott Bowen has been involved is surely an issue too.

Hopefully we can put a better side on the park in the next couple of tournaments and the results will improve.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wouldn't be in time for Rio, but I hope there's selectors watching Olympic athletic trials... it's no secret USA's recent improvement is due to their pace mainly from the introduction of black athletes - it's where SA are seeing big rewards too through guys like Africa, Senatla, Geduld and Speckman (who looks the quickest of the lot). Where do we find ours?

There seems to be a bit of revolution going on the circuit atm, pace/acceleration is ruling king.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The problem at CPT was not the forwards,IMO Killingworth was our best,and again possession was not the issue, it's what we don't do with it so we keep it.

The reason why we performed well early last season was due to our dull style of play minimising errors.After a few rounds we were quickly back to the pack when everyone else started to convert 1/2 chances.
I agree with Allan F,we need to move on to improve,cos he hasnt.

You don't need fliers if all you ever do is turn it back inside to recycle.
It's been a long standing practice for them to opt for continuation of phases over taking strong chances on the outside.

If you continually have more than 50% of possession in games you lose,your tactics are no good.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree about Fa'avalu. He too is too selfish with ball in hand and won't be a top notch playmaker until he learns to use his supports better. IMO Stannard does a pretty good job except for a couple of uncharacteristic decisions against SA to tap the ball when taking penalties in the Aus half.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The problem at CPT was not the forwards,IMO Killingworth was our best,and again possession was not the issue, it's what we don't do with it so we keep it.

The reason why we performed well early last season was due to our dull style of play minimising errors.After a few rounds we were quickly back to the pack when everyone else started to convert 1/2 chances.
I agree with Allan F,we need to move on to improve,cos he hasnt.

You don't need fliers if all you ever do is turn it back inside to recycle.
It's been a long standing practice for them to opt for continuation of phases over taking strong chances on the outside.

If you continually have more than 50% of possession in games you lose,your tactics are no good.

Noting that Killingworth has only just come into the team so hasn't been exposed to the formulaic tactics for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.