• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC Sevens World Series 2014/15 - Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Way off-topic but switched over to England v Sri Lanka ODI & saw Joe Root given not out on review of an lbw on the grounds that it pitched outside leg which is as it should be except that he changed his stance (that's switch-hit for you young 'uns) which surely makes his leg stump his off stump, does it not?

Back on-topic, Wales 17-5 Kenya.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Way off-topic but switched over to England v Sri Lanka ODI & saw Joe Root given not out on review of an lbw on the grounds that it pitched outside leg which is as it should be except that he changed his stance (that's switch-hit for you young 'uns) which surely makes his leg stump his off stump, does it not?

The stance a batsman is in as the bowler starts his run-up remains. Yes it's probably unfair on the bowler.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The stance a batsman is in as the bowler starts his run-up remains. Yes it's probably unfair on the bowler.

I'd say it's bullshit. Bowler can't change from over to around without informing the ump, if batsman chooses to go from righty to lefty then fair enough but if in doing so he takes the outside leg stump rule out've play then fuck him. I was a bowler back in the day in case you were wondering.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bowl QF:

Wales v Samoa
Canada v Zimbabwe
Japan v Kenya
Portugal v France

Cup QF:

South Africa v England
Fiji v Australia
NZ v USA
Argentina v Scotland

Seths & Fiji look to be a class above, looks like one of them v NZ in the GF.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The performance by the Aussies against Argentina was inept, and disappointing to me; notwithstanding that the other side played some brilliant Sevens' rugby and deserved the win.

I suppose that there are only so many games the Oz mob can make a comeback in, and pull out a win from their backsides. The problem is not in their talent for recovery, but the need to use it so often.

In Sevens' squads where you need a balance of steppers, fliers, big-engined bruisers, quarterbacks, and all-rounders, the Aussies lack fliers—even their quick guys Fou and Clark are not Sevens' sprinters.

Where they have stepped up is in the bruiser department with the likes of Cusack and Meyers progressing (and Wells a prospect) - but we have to sigh when we see the Fijians who have bruisers, who are fliers also.

NZ will probably win again this year but 2½ tournaments into the season they aren't looking like the Kiwis we've seen in recent times.

Early days though.

PS - what a comfortable win by the USA over Wales - and what remarkable ease in bringing it about !!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Blitzbokke looking good

Our mob still in it against Fiji, but just got gassed twice for two tries from the 2nd half kick offs. :(

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're very physical now but still lacking pace. Geriant has made us a stronger team mentally too. We've gone behind twice late and come back with cool heads. Didn't happen in the past.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have added interest in the Sevens series because I am looking at the results of the other teams more closely now.

If Aus have to be in the top four by the end of the series to get automatic entry into the Olympics (and they were in the four after Dubai) we can watch the other teams and try to put the hex on them.

I'm not sure how the Great Britain team gets it's eligibility for the Olympics—definitively, rather than possibly, through the options that have been mentioned—but so long as we stay ahead of England, Samoa and Argentina, we should be sweet. Edit - GB will take the England rating

That was a good win against Fiji, who don't seen to play against us as well as they do against others, but geez how cheap were the tries we surrendered when Fiji kicked off to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.